Old 03-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #16  
This IS it...

S/C/G: 350.2/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Wow..I wonder what they woulda thought if I was walking down the road? Add 80 lbs to your weight and what would they say? "Man you need to get weight loss surgury"? And the ridiculous part is that I've lost 75 lbs...to think that I've been thinking to myself that I would almost feel good when I hit the 100's. I think that story might have depressed me almost as much as you.
TiffTiff1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #17  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I don't care what you weigh, what you were wearing, how old or young you are, etc...

Their judgment was unkind, unwarranted, and unnecessary. They're insulting and unconscionably rude. Nothing makes that okay.

It's possible for them to strike a nerve, but try to consider your concern for yourself separately from a couple of jack@$$es.

Last edited by calluna; 03-28-2010 at 02:06 PM.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I was obese since age 5, and I've heard crap like this all of my life (I turned 44 a week ago). Now that I have a stockpile of snappy comebacks, and find it entertaining to beat idiots at their own game, it doesn't seem to ever happen anymore (darn it).

Public pools and beaches (and I assume beach towns), in Walmart or it's parking lot, and bars (and the streets surrounding bars) seem to be hot spots for jackasses. Most of my experience with these jokers have been in those places. I've had a few random incidents while walking in malls or other places, but usually it's Walmart or water (because I really don't do the bar thing anymore).

They're such cowards, that even direct eye contact takes the wind out of their sails (the car callers are the biggest cowards, making sure you can't respond even with direct eyecontact). They turn red and look at the floor, or pretend they didn't say what you heard (that's really funny). Sometimes, not often but sometimes, they even apologize (then I feel like I did my good deed for the day, maybe even educated the little turd a little).

I did get a response in once or twice to a car caller though. One shouted "you're fat," and I shouted back "No ****."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

Do not let these guys get you down hun. I think everyone responds differently to this kind of rude behavior. Unfortunately, (for them) I would be the girl beating the sh*t out of those boys for making nasty, unwarranted comments. Like everyone above has said, there are a**holes everywhere. They are just projecting their own insecurities on you. And don't even worry about it, they dont know YOU. How special YOU are, how smart YOU are. Forget it, keep doing good for you girl!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzeager View Post
ETA: Turns out it's actually a Jimmy Buffett song. If you are too young to remember him, he's a guy that old people like me who were alive in the 1970s used to hear a lot on the radio. (Sob)

Here it is on Youtube. (Possibly NSFW, although it only has the one word it's in pretty much every line. )
OMG! I thought I heard every JB song, but I hadn't heard this one!

Thanks!!
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #21  
Actual hot librarian.

S/C/G: 189/150.0/149

Height: 5'7.5"

Men who yell things from cars are not worth your mental energy.

On spring break in Daytona Beach, guys in a truck yelled "me love you long time" at my friend (who is Asian). She was in tears for the rest of the night. A##holes.

Similar to another post: you can lose weight (if you want to), but there's no cure for stupid.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #22  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

I've been yelled at. I generally yell back. I actually made friends with a group of guys who yelled at me in a parking lot to which I replied with something I would not rewrite here for fear of the mods. But it's something I usually try to just let roll off my back. I don't care what is yelled at me, if they want to open that line of conversation, I can play that game just as well.

Don't let it get you down and if anything, let it inspire you to greatness. They were just being asses and they don't deserve the satisfaction of upsetting you!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #23  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

This happened to me once. I was walking home from work and some guys yelled to me "your fat go on a diet." It hurt, but I knew it was true.

I just brush it off and get on with my life. and Kaplods, that snappy remark had be LOL--ing. Im totally going to us that if someone ever says that to me!!
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Being fat is not the best thing you can be, but it's certainly not the worst, and the taboo is so much greater than the "crime." Hurt people on purpose, and you'll be called one b-word or another (male or female), but often it's said with humor and even a bit of admiration, but be fatter than is acceptable and you're "disgusting." Shouldn't "disgusting," be a word reserved for criminals such as pedophiles, rapists, and murderers. Why is overeating often treated like a worse crime? Actually, I take it back, it's not overeating that is the crime, it's getting fat. If you appear to be able to eat like a shopvac and are somehow (magically) able to remain thin, you'll sometimes be treated almost like a folk hero. Eating is good (it must be - so many people are pushing food on us) it's only getting fat that is bad (talk about mixed messages on that one).

I never understood the "criminal" aspect of obesity, and I choose to reject it. I choose to use the word fat, openly and without judgement. I am a great person, who happens to be fat. You can be a great person and have an unfortunate vice (I do believe that obesity generally does involve making poor choices, but that's a lot different than feeling obese people deserve ridicule and hatred).

The less I accept the fat=evil theory, the more able I've been to lose weight. It's ironic, but there's something about feeling horrible and useless that becomes a self-fufilling prophecy. I won't let that happen. I deserve better. Everyone does.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote