Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #1  
Esme

S/C/G: 201/148/130

Height: 5'3"

Default I want to quit! (smoking, that is)

So I have a confession: I smoke. I hate it. I don't want to anymore. But I have done so well with the whole weightloss thing, that it's hard for me to take the leap!

Before anyone says anything, I absolutely know how bad it is, I think it's disgusting and if I could go back in time and slap some sense into my 16 year old self for starting in the first place, I would.

I know people gain when they quit, and although I don't think I will gain because I work out ever day/control my calories, I'm afraid I will maintain. Summer's coming up and I really want to hit my goal by June 1st. I have about 20 lbs to lose.

Has anyone done it? (quitting smoking and losing weight, that is)

Here is my plan so far:
-I am going to start walking to and from work (I live close but drove so I could smoke)
-I am also going to start taking the stairs to and from my apt
-I am going to make sure I have carrots and other easy but low low calorie "snack" food for my oral fixation thing

I should also mention that I do not chew gum at all and can't because of jaw issues.

Does this sound good? I am just really afraid that I will stop losing weight or god forbid gain weight!

Last edited by foresmewithlove; 03-15-2010 at 10:07 PM.
foresmewithlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Hey! Do it!! I smoked about a pack per 2 days, and on January 2nd I quit (I couldn't breath at the gym anymore, it seemed) and I feel great! I didn't gain, and your right I stalled for like one month BUT guess what, I'm smoke free, I have that much more extra money, and I still lost inches because I could work out/exercise harder because I could FINALLY breathe!! But my weight is going down again, you might want to try zig zagging calories to confuse your metabolism...

My advice, chew gum! drink cold cold water! Fresh fruit like canteloupe really helped me -- Frozen grapes (because u can suck on them and they take alot longer to eat)

Good luck - keep me posted!! I'm cheering you on!

EDIT : sorry, I didn't notice the gum note - what about 2-3 sugar free candies a day? I did that too... werthers and campino sugar free candies.

Last edited by JennyG; 03-15-2010 at 10:11 PM.
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #3  
Natalie

S/C/G: 170/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I am not a 20-something anymore, but I saw your post and wanted to respond. I smoked 2 packs a day for almost 18 years and quit 8 years ago and have never looked back except to say "good riddance"! I was 34 at the time and I did not gain any weight at all. To help fight the stress I felt in the beginning about quitting, I worked out sometimes 2 times a day depending on my stress level. I walked a lot too, just to clear my head sometimes, which helps. I wish I would have quit sooner, like you, in my twenties. The weight I am losing now, is after having two babies (after the age of 35) so I hope you know that you can quit smoking without gaining weight. I wish you all the best, be good to yourself and give yourself the life you imagine...smoke-free and healthy. You can do it!
AZ Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

taylor has quit smoking at kept losing i think, maybe you should get in touch with her
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #5  
I will do this.

HIII

I lost smoking and continued my weight-loss - loosing 40 pounds in the same 11 months.

What I did:

-I smoked for over 9 years

-I quit cold turkey.

-I also stopped drinking diet coke or any soda because having a soda really made me want to have a smoke

-I stopped drinking for two months because the craving was just too intense

For me I just stopped. No looking back.

In my opinion it is harder to lose weight because you must continue eating and enjoying food - while smoking you never EVER have to have another one.

Good luck and don't be afraid to get ahold of me if you have any questions.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #6  
Let go laughing

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'10"

I'm in the same boat as you - I want to quit, but I'm afraid of gaining weight or just not losing once I do. I know it's a stupid reason and the benefits of quitting will far FAR outweigh maybe not losing for a few weeks, but I'm still nervous. Once I quit for almost a whole year, and this is going to sound stupid, but for awhile I replaced cigs with blow pops. I kept them in my car and purse and house, and whenever I had a craving would just eat a blowpop. I think it helped with the oral fixation as well. Hmm...might have to see if they make sugar free blowpops
s rosa is offline   Reply With Quote