Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #1  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

S/C/G: 160/139/120ish

Height: 5'1.5"

Default Eating after intense cardio ...

I read that you should not eat meals or drink shakes right after working out b/c your body is still in the fat burning process. How true is that & how long should you wait??

I workout everyday & come home & have one of my low-fat, low-sodium, low-calorie soy protein shakes with 2% milk. I don't eat meat except for poultry & eggs a few times a week so protein is a need for me.
SpinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I have always read that you SHOULD eat right after exercising - the stat I'm most familiar with is within 30-60 minutes of completing your work out.

Yes, you're still in the fat burning process - but that's the point - your metabolism is ramped up right after you exercise, so your body will more efficiently use the calories.

I think that shake sounds perfect - after I work out I usually have a combination of protein and carbs - whole grain bread or veggies.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have never worried about the timing of eating before/after exercise, except that if I eat too soon before I get nauseous so I avoid it. Otherwise, if your body needs food after, feed it. It's not going to stop fat burning because you ate something.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/171.0/132

Height: 5'6

I've only heard that you should eat after exercise. But about cardio fat burning, I've heard from PTs that cardio only burns fat up to 4 hours after it's been completed. But that doesn't tell you when or when you shouldn't eat.

Fuel the body!
Jess7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #5  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

My trainer is big into the "Queen Princess Pauper Rule" and also the fat-burning zone. He says that if you are working anaerobically, your body will crave carbs after and therefore can sabotage your wl goals. Working aerobically for long periods of time trains your body to burn fat instead of carbs. I guess if you have carbs to burn then even working out anaerobically you'll remain catabolic instead of anabolic, and be able to build muscle as long as you're fueling yourself. I just don't want my body breaking down muscle at this point (or as little as possible) so I make sure I'm properly fueled if I'm doing an intense cardio workout. Otherwise, I find lower-intensity aerobics to be appetite-suppressing.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #6  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

ok, that makes since. When I read that I was confused too b/c I have always heard you should eat something, but wanted to clarity it anyway.

So far I have lost 20 pounds so I must be doing it right to have a shake after working out. I fix one about 20-30 minutes after I get home, then lunch about an hour & 1/2 later.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I have never worried about the timing of eating before/after exercise, except that if I eat too soon before I get nauseous so I avoid it. Otherwise, if your body needs food after, feed it. It's not going to stop fat burning because you ate something.
Yep, me too. I usually have breakfast 2-3 hrs before I workout, then lunch afterwords. That way I avoid any nausea & after workouts I need some ENERGY so eating then works out really well .

Congrats on your loss so far!!

Last edited by kuhrisuh; 03-05-2010 at 02:07 PM.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I work out later in the evenings so it doesn't really benefit me in any way to eat after a workout. I do need something before I go, though.

I also find that the scale moves a little more consistently if I don't eat after a workout, but if I have to eat something a protein shake is the way to go.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

well, if I dont eat something with an hour of an intense work out I am about ready to rip someones head off I am so seeing red with hunger :P

By intense I am working between 80% - 95% of my max heart rate (by my heart rate monitor). I think all bodies must be different since I noted a comment above about working in the anarobic causing you crave carbs after a workout.

Yep, I eat ten tonne of carbs (I'm like the total opposite to a low carb adherent lol) I'm losing body fat (my BF% is trending down) but my weight is remaining relatively stable, I'm becoming leaning and tighter...my muscle mass certainly hasnt been affected, if anything I am building it more efficiently. I also do a heavy weights sessions about 3 times a week so that would probably help :P
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

If you're doing intense cardio (60 minutes+) be sure you eat a combo of carbs and protien before hand so your body is fueled up. After a certain amount of cardio, you body stops burning carbs, you have a dip in energy, but then your body taps into fat reserves for fuel.

After wards, eat 30 - 60 minutes. Eat carbs and protein again so help your body to rebuild the muscles quicker and more efficiently. Also be sure to re-fuel with plenty of water within 30 minutes after your run. Whatever you sweat out has to be replenished!

Here's what I do. On short run days 30 - 45 minutes, I have peanut butter toast (protein and carbs) before a run. After wards I be sure to drink plenty of water, and maybe I'll have something small like yogurt and granola.

On long runs 60 min+ I eat protien/carbs for breakfast. (yogurt/granola, eggs/avacado/toast, almond butter/toast) Then I eat a power bar 30 min/1 hour before hand, and sip on propel water to keep me going through the run. After wards I drink even more water, and eat something substantial. I try to plan runs before meals so that I can eat something good afterward.

This is what works for me based on what I've read in running magazines. I've also found that avocado's are a great energy source to keep you going!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

Ditto garstar: if your workouts are really intense, you should have a healthy snack within an hour of cardio to rebuild muscle. Your body will be trying to repair itself, but if you don't give it building blocks you'll end up sore and slow the next day. Your shakes are perfect.
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #12  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i usually just eat when i am hungry after exercising. Sometimes im not hungry and so just have my morning snack at the usual time, otherwise I bring it forward and have it around half an hour after my work out. I dont usually worry about what the snack is as long as it is on plan for me
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #13  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

thanks for the confirmation guys. I will keep having the shakes afterwards. They are really filling too so that's a plus!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 171/153/136

Height: 5' 3"

ive always been told the best time to eat is right after working out of course like some other people stated if i eat too soon (i.e. 5-10 min after) i will puke too. but typically you want to eat around 30 min after to keep your metabolism going
JoLeNe is offline   Reply With Quote