Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
"What, did you gain a pound so you have to eat an apple now?!"
That's hilarious, I think I would have laughed out loud.

But anyway, I think a few "How rude"s are appropriate for diaper guy.

You're probably stuck with your supervisor.

In the end, you have to let it go unless you feel its really worth your energy to engage and try to change people. I Know that's easier said than done.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #17  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
I just remembered another thing I used to say to certain people if they commented on how "unappetizing" my lunch was or something like that:

"Oh, I wasn't offering you any"

or, a little more snotty

"I didn't ask you to eat it, did I?" "Did you hear me ask you to have some?"

always with a laugh and a smile.
I like these. A lot.

I just don't understand. Never in a million years would I comment on what someone was eating. Would be ok for me to approach someone eating a cheeseburger and milkshake and comment on how unhealthy their meal was? Of course not! I would be afraid of getting beat up It's quite the double standard.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

I'm a non-confrontational person, but I do stick up for myself in a roundabout way. Usually, people say judgmental things because they're (a) looking for attention or (b) don't know that they're being rude. Obviously, the diaper guy was (a), but your supervisor may be (b).

Here are some techniques:

1) Deflection (aka changing the subject). If someone says "How can you eat that?" I would smile and say "It's a recipe I saw on Paula Dean! Have you seen her show? She's such a sweetheart!"

2) Reflection (aka make it about them). For the ones who say, "What, you gained a pound so now you have to eat an apple?" I would say, "Oh, you don't like apples? I love them! Maybe you haven't found the right variety yet. Do you like tart fruits or sweet ones?"

3) The unobvious call out. For the downright rude ones a calm, "Well, I'm sure we all eat things others would find strange" with a penetrating look would do nicely.
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #19  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Co-workers would be harder...since you have to see them everyday. I'd probably say something like, "This is how I keep my girlish figure, (while running my hands across my stomach or thighs...) what is your secret?"
OOoooooh, I like this one!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #20  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkm256 View Post
Here are some techniques:

1) Deflection (aka changing the subject). If someone says "How can you eat that?" I would smile and say "It's a recipe I saw on Paula Dean! Have you seen her show? She's such a sweetheart!"

2) Reflection (aka make it about them). For the ones who say, "What, you gained a pound so now you have to eat an apple?" I would say, "Oh, you don't like apples? I love them! Maybe you haven't found the right variety yet. Do you like tart fruits or sweet ones?"

3) The unobvious call out. For the downright rude ones a calm, "Well, I'm sure we all eat things others would find strange" with a penetrating look would do nicely.
ooo I really like these ideas!!

lol I am a super picky eater too so when I was eating bad all the time people would joke about how all I ate was hamburgers & pizza too also mac & cheese lol It would drive me crazy. I really wish people would just mind their own business.

Then this summer when I was doing really amazing eatign well and had lost 20lbs I visited my family and I would eat oatmeal all the time for breakfast and they would be like ewww. Even though idk why because it smells so vanilla and yummy. Sure it kindof looks icky but it still tastes great.

I would think of some clever remarks for the next time they say something. I am not very confrontational so it would be tough for me but I like the suggestions above. Oh i got it from a recipe from so and so..

Or lol even offer them a taste! That might just confuse them

Maybe even just be like yeah it looks bad but wow it is so yummy & good for me too!

I'm sorry
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post

The ones who make the 'gained a pound, eating an apple?' comments - are they the women you were referring to who are always talking about weight? I get some of those remarks, too. I've taken to patting my hips or tummy and saying "have to keep the skinny pants" or something to that effect, I have been known to say "can't keep the skinny pants if I keep eating [insert whatever I most recently saw other person eat] all the time" if they seemed rude in the initial comment. Sometimes I figure they just don't understand, or are a little insecure and talk out of turn.

I like your answer.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:21 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 133/132/118

Height: 5'4"

I think its pretty funny. They actually think OATMEAL is gross? they don't understand why you would eat CEREAL?? Then what the heck are they eating for breakfast???? you are obviously the healthiest person at your work place, so just ignore the comments and smile. You are beautiful and healthy, so why does it matter what they think?
maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #23  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I think it's so terribly mannered when people "Ewww" about other people's food. Now, I'm in school and not in the workplace, so I may have more liberties, but I usually tell them to mind their manners.

They are jealous of you.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #24  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvenirdarling View Post
They are jealous of you.
Yep, that's what I thought when I first read the post, especially the women in the office.

They lack any self-control regarding their own health so they're trying to make you look stupid so they don't seem like the stupid ones for being so gross and unhealthy.

Unfortunately for them, they will always be the stupid ones.
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Slightly different but similiar vein I have a vegetarian friend who would constantly make negative comments about the foods I ate i.e. a salad with left over beef or pork from the night before etc. The "eewwww, thats so gross, how can you EAT that??" comments were always met with - because I like it and that was that.

Personally I dont care what anyone else thinks of my eating habits. I have recently been told at work that I eat like a horse - because I kind of do, at least to their eyes. I'm a grazer, I have some (small, 100-150 cals) maybe 5 -6 times through the working day so all they see is me with food in my mouth :P

To that I usually either don't reply, smile and acknowledge I'm so lucky, or just casually drop in that 15km run I did the day before.

I used to have weetbix at work for lunch - mushed up with hot water, a little sugar and stewed apple. Now... THAT really DID look like something out of a babies nappy When someone said something to that effect, I just agreed with them and kept eating - they never commented again.

I have found that just a simple, I like it, takes the wind right out of peoples sails because in a lot of cases they're waiting for you to get defensive about it, if you dont react the way they anticipate it leaves them confused and on the backfoot. The comments start to drop off after that.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #26  
Samantha417

The summer of 2008, I was doing weight watchers. My one coworker told me that I was wasting away to nothing being anorexic, and I started crying from it. I'm extremely sensitive about things like that, and he apologized. He didn't mean that I was actually anorexic, but just that I was losing weight quickly.

This past winter, my boss asked me about my weight (he's an oddball, so we know that whatever he says isn't out of spite, he's just...odd. Almost like on Bones, if anyone watches it, how Bones is just really open and awkward.) and I just explained to him my whole life story about my weight. Then he decided to mention how I ate nothing but "dust and pocket lint" for lunch last semester. I just replied with "whatever makes me thin" and walked out of the office. We have other girls there, so they usually stick up for me.

People just don't understand.