3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   0 calorie, 0 fat noodles.? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/194414-0-calorie-0-fat-noodles.html)

Phoenixsmommy 02-16-2010 03:51 PM

0 calorie, 0 fat noodles.?

anyone heard of these before , me and hubby are very close to buying some....the reviews seem to be in order ...

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/miracle...-products.html

kerbear879 02-16-2010 03:58 PM

Yeah I've tried them and they don't taste like anything so you have to put some sort of sauce on them. They are basically pure fiber so they will fill you up. I found that teriyaki sauce and lots of sauteed veggies worked well with these.

partypantalones 02-16-2010 04:02 PM

oh man if you google "shirataki noodles" you will find gobs of info and praise on these [type] of noodles. i know that hungry-girl [google her too :)] is kinda obsessed.

i've never cooked with them, but my friend has, and i thought it was delish! the trick apparently is to dryyyy them out super super well after cooking, otherwise your pasta sits in its own soupiness.

the way i figure is that if we wanna eat what we wanna eat AND we wanna look/feel/be the healthy way we wanna -- we gotta sacrifice some!!

hence this cheese lover gnoshing on her fat free shredded cheddar :/

mandalinn82 02-16-2010 04:10 PM

OK, so in my experience, you will either LOVE these (miracle! Almost no calorie noodles! Brilliant!), or hate them (as in, these are completely inedible, so I'm eating no calories because I cannot bring myself to choke them down).

I fell into the hate camp, but plenty of people DO like them.

Jess7286 02-16-2010 04:12 PM

Let me know how your experiment with these go. I don't mind regular pasta since it's something I enjoy wasting my calories on but these could be interesting.

junebug41 02-16-2010 04:24 PM

I've used them before. You have to rinse them very thoroughly because they have a...smell.

I think it's a terrible substitute for spaghetti or other Italian dishes. It works better with asian style dishes. I used to use it in stir fry quite a bit.

kisskiss 02-16-2010 04:26 PM

I saw them when Tyra had Hungry Girl on her show...the audience member seemed to like it. Phoenixmommy, if you decide to buy them let us know if they are any good. Im really tempted to buy some myself. :)

QuilterInVA 02-16-2010 04:30 PM

There is a difference in the Shirataki noodles and Miracle Noodles. The Shirataki are made from tofu, slimmy and smell like fish. They are 1 point per bag. The miracle noodles are made from fiber, tasteless and 0 points.

Phoenixsmommy 02-16-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuilterInVA (Post 3155603)
There is a difference in the Shirataki noodles and Miracle Noodles. The Shirataki are made from tofu, slimmy and smell like fish. They are 1 point per bag. The miracle noodles are made from fiber, tasteless and 0 points.

Yes this is what i am noticing, the miracle noodles are made in the USA so i am okay with spending the extra money knowing what i am getting was made in a factory here as opposed to shipped over...everyone says the noodles have a smell that is fishy but the miracle noodles are orderless.....

I haven't made the purchase yet, i am really thinking it out

Amy8888 02-16-2010 05:38 PM

Here is a link to Hungry Girl's explanation of the difference between the tofu noodles and the Miracle Noodles:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/bit...s.php?isid=923

I might look into the Miracle Noodles. I think I've had it with the tofu noodles. They're just too weird.

eratosthanes 02-16-2010 05:56 PM

Actually, traditional shirataki noodles have no tofu in them. That is a more modern way of making them, because they are less gelatinous. I got mine from Konjac Foods, and theirs don't have the tofu at all. If you really like them, I suggest getting the powder, and learning to make your own.

As for my opinion, they weren't that great. It kind of reminded me of the texture of seaweed, which I don't like for the same reason. However, if I am VERY hungry and can't afford the calories, in my Miso they go!

kuhrisuh 02-16-2010 10:14 PM

Hmm.. never heard of them! But they seem like they're worth a shot!

Thighs Be Gone 02-16-2010 10:28 PM

I buy the Shirataki noodles and I am in the LOVE category. I love them because they are versatile. I love them because they are so completely low calorie. I can eat an entire bag of them and know that the calories will be gone if I walk just 1/2 a mile! They are also pretty cheap compared to Miracle Noodles. I pay $1.29 a bag for them. It takes some experimenting but yeah, they are definitely worth it.

Phoenixsmommy 02-16-2010 10:45 PM

Thank you everyone, i still haven't bought them but i am still considering it

orthodiva 02-16-2010 11:57 PM

I have had shirataki noodles and found dealing with the smell tough although my mom figured out how to cook them in some delicious ways and get rid of the smell. I'll have to look for these miracle noodles now. I didn't even know they existed. Yay for learning something new on 3FC!