Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #16  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I tan too. I can't wait to go back in a few weeks to get a good base tan going. I, too, know the dangers and risks (as does pretty much everyone who goes), it's just a matter of weighing the risks. Luckily, I don't burn at all and I've never gotten like, addicted to it.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #17  
Cyberpunk

S/C/G: 230/215/100

Height: 5'2"

I say that it's not worth it, and I use to tan everyday that I went to the gym. I got too dark, and was a weird color. I'm no longer tan, LOL.

Anyway, my best friend's step mom was a tanner, and now she has cancer in her foot. They had to remove a big part of muscle in her leg, and she's all f_cked up, now. Chemo, shots, etc. Was it worth it? She was a beautiful woman, had the fake boobs, and everything. Now, her leg all the way up to her butt will be disfigured the rest of her life, and the cancer isn't going away, so the rest of her life might be sooner rather than later. All from tanning.

I've decided that if I want a tan, I will get sprayed. It's not worth the risk.
Technosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #18  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresmewithlove View Post

ALSO, I would like to mention that those tanning beds (at least in the case of the salon I worked at) ARE NOT CLEAN. People go in there naked, sweat their asses off (literally, *** sweat) and then 16-20 year olds who don't really care about their jobs "clean them" At one point our salon cut our cleaning costs and we weren't even using a real disinfectant.
LMFAO! that is disgusting but funny I dont know why. Oh wait its probably because I always see bleach fake blonde way too tanned and their hair lighter then their skin and they look ridiculous.

I dont tan in a tanning beds, its too closed off for me, im slightly clasterphobic(sp?) and hate being in a heated surface. Plus I dont have the patience to lay there for 10 to 20 minutes lol. I cant hardly even lay outside on a nice summer day and let the sun soak into me.

As far is it bad for you and can it give you cancer? Apparently everything can give you cancer these days so who knows. But will your skin eventually look gross and dried up when you get old from tanning in a tanning bed too much? Yep that will definitely happen. But doing it once in a while I think you'd be fine.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #19  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

At my old job we had a metastatic melanoma trial (so skin cancer that spread) and they had to send us pictures. If you saw these pictures you would stay as far away from a tanning bed (or the sun) as possible.

Google image search it and see what you find.

Yes, "everything" gives you cancer, but IMHO you should try to avoid the things that are proven, as opposed to the things people just assume.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

Height: 5'6"

I only tan right before I go to the beach for summer vacation, and then it is only a few times. I know that it is not the best for me, but I have learned that if I have a small tan to start with, I won't burn. If I don't, even with sunscreen, I will get an awful sunburn and not enjoy my vacation at all. But other than that, I live with my paleness.
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 184/169.5/135

Height: 5'2

Avoid burning at all costs. Other than that, tanning really isn't bad for you if done in moderation.
withlovealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

I worked at a tanning salon in college...

There were old women who would come in there and they had the most wrinkly dry leathery skin... I dont want to be that lady so I dont tan...

My sister tans a lot and she has a weird coloring to her...shes slightly orange or something...its just not natural however if you do tan be sure to use a lotion which will help you not to burn
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 372/297/210

Height: 6'5"

Being a red head my skin comes in two colors. Pale and Burned. Tanning has never really been an option for me.
josten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #24  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

People who use tanning beds can justify to themselves as much as they want about "oh, how harmful can it REALLY be if i just do it alittle..." Would you engage in any OTHER activity ourposefully that science has PROVEN DIRECTLY causes/increases risk of skin cancer?
Believe me, i love a good tan as much as the next person.......its not worth it. please do yourself a favor and google some of the most recent studies done on tanning beds effects... It increases your changes of cancer EXPONENTIALLY
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #25  
Cyberpunk

S/C/G: 230/215/100

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyisLove View Post
My sister tans a lot and she has a weird coloring to her...shes slightly orange or something...its just not natural however if you do tan be sure to use a lotion which will help you not to burn
This made me laugh, I totally had the whole orange thing going on when I was tanning at the gym. It looked really unnatural, and my boyfriend still makes fun of me for it. I'm glad I quit going. ROFL.

I wonder what makes you look so orange from tanning beds. I've also tanned religiously in the sun at one point, and I didn't look orange from that.
Technosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #26  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Its the difference in the UV light. Tanning beds only give you UVB - while the sun emits UVA, UVB and one more kind.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

There are so many lotions out there now that gradually increase the color each time you apply it. They are cheaper than the spray tans and if you get the better ones they don't turn you orange. It is so much better than using a tanning bed. I used to use one every spring, I even have one in my basement but I will not use it any longer. I want to sell it because I have not used it in a couple of years but my husband hates to get rid of things so there it sits.

It is just not worth the risk, yes lots of things cause cancer but why up your chances?
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

My sister used to tan, mostly naturally, but occassionally in the bed. A few years ago she had to get a big chunk of pre-cancerous skin cut out of the middle of her back. It left a big nasty scar. She is now the sunless tanning queen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriLeigh View Post
I only tan right before I go to the beach for summer vacation, and then it is only a few times. I know that it is not the best for me, but I have learned that if I have a small tan to start with, I won't burn. If I don't, even with sunscreen, I will get an awful sunburn and not enjoy my vacation at all. But other than that, I live with my paleness.
same here

Last edited by Aclai4067; 02-01-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

A suntan is skin damage. Can't really dispute that, so I probably wouldn't do the tanning beds.

I am however the sunless tanner queen! They make SUCH great ones, so I'd definitely go that way. The first time I did it I was so scared I'd mess it up, just take your time and it's easy My fav's are made by Lancome and Clarins, they give SUCH good colour that every person thinks it's natural.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 290/270/135

it's just my opinion, but I find women with pale skin much more attractive than women who tan. I can't tan myself because [insert laughs here] I'm allergic to the sun, it's the Irish in me, I think. I breakout in hives and rashes if I get too much sun, so wide-brimmed hats and gauzy shirts in the summer. I tried tanning when I was in high school because I was so pale and I stuck out [Addam's Family anyone, lol.] I ended up getting welts and hives from tanning beds and by my 3rd visit gave up, so I just embrace the paleness now. I get lots of compliments about my skin and told that I look much younger than my age, so I'm pro-pale. Your skin will thank you later. For instance, my mom who also can't handle too much sun is 50, and she usually gets asked how old she is because she only looks about 35-38.
Jaimie is offline   Reply With Quote