Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/157/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Super Frustrated!

Almost 2 weeks ago I did something (I still have no idea what) and really messed up my back. I have a hard time walking, I can't even begin to think about any other exercise. My doctor says I just tweaked it and gave me some pain pills and told me to take it easy. I wear a bodybugg (which I love) so I have a pretty accurate idea of what I burn, and I write everything down and log it into my calorie tracker...but I'm not losing. In the past I've always been decent at exercise and crappy at food, so now the only thing I can do is count every single calorie I put in my mouth. Has anyone else worked through back injuries before? Or any good diet suggestions? I'm trying really hard to stay positive but its starting to get really frustrating!
Colleen923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #2  
Batgirl will always win.

S/C/G: 201/197/(190 ST; 145 LT)

Height: 5'5

Im going to have a similar problem this week. I have to have a piece of skin removed on my leg and tested for skin cancer and I will have stitches in my leg so I will have to take it easy. Im planning on going and still doing some crunches or lifing my arms a little
BatgirlAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/186/140

Height: 5'6

I hurt my back awhile ago. It was so bad, I woke up one morning and tried to get out of bed and almost passed out from the pain. I ended up going to physical therapy (which was great-- helped both my back and my overall fitness!) but if PT isn't an option I would try to do some pilates/yoga-esque back stretches. Whenever my back hurts, I sit on the floor and do pelvic tilts. That way, you are getting some exercise in but helping your back at the same time.

In terms of pain management-- Bio-Freeze works great or Icy Hot.
KatehSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I highly recommend a book called Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno from NYU Medical Center. He was featured on 20/20 some time ago and you can probably find a segment about it on youtube. Everyone always thinks that his theories don't apply to them, but if you really keep an open mind, it can help a lot. My husband was almost disabled and after he read his book, he started doing jumping jacks! I heard that he helped famous people like Howard Stern and a producer from the Rosie O'Donnel show go from wheelchair to completely mobile. It has helped me as well. I first heard about this book from Dr. Andrew Weil's book (he's an M.D. who is also really into holistic and natural practices). I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested. I hope you feel better soon.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote