Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #1  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Default how has your weight gain affected TOM?

I've always been pretty regular but over the last 5 or 6 months my cycles have gotten really long and really lite (sorry, TMI). So, did weight affect your cycles at all and if they did how long did it take to get back to normal? Also, at what point would you consult a doc about the waky cycles?
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

My TOM was never affected by my weight, but I know a lot of girls whose cycles completely stopped after gaining a lot of weight. I don't know how long it would take for it to return to your normal, but I'm guessing it would be different for everyone.

I would suggest bringing it up to the doctor soon - it doesn't hurt (especially if you have a yearly exam coming up...that would be the perfect time to ask). I mean, it's always better for your doctor to know about any change that happens.

Last edited by angee phalangee; 01-04-2010 at 07:53 PM.
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #3  
In it for the long haul.

S/C/G: 275/ticker/150

Weight affecting TOM is certainly very common, but does not mean its normal or 'not a problem'. It can also be several other factors. There has been more stress in my family in the last year than I can remember ever having and I had similar things to what you are describing off and on. With the amount of time you are talking about however, it probably would be a good idea to talk to a doctor. Like angee said, its probably good to let the doc know... really its better to be safe than sorry.
Phoenix301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

For me, once I reach about 225 lbs, my period stops completely. I went to the doctor about it, and was diagnosed with PCOS based on my symptoms (however, the one symptom I didn't have was ovarian cysts). He put me on metformin, which did not agree with me, and I had to stop taking it. Once I lost about 30 lbs, bringing me down to 220 lbs, my period started again and all my other symptoms of PCOS went away as well. When I regained some weight, and was avoiding the scale, it took my period stopping again to force me onto the scale and see the damage - and I was at 227 lbs. Seems to be a trigger point for me at about that weight.

When I'm below that weight, I'm very regular. However, I'd agree with the other posters here, and recommend you consult a doctor.
Katheryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

It didn't. I have PCOS so it hardly ever was regular. It was always 30-40 day cycles.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Omg, it has affected mine TREMENDOUSLY. I have ALWAYS had irregular periods. I would have maybe 2 or 3 a year at the most (even when I was younger and at a healthy weight). After I lost the first 10-15lbs, I have had a period every month. The first couple of months they were really light and only lasted a few days...but there were THERE! This month has been a full "normal" period and I expect the same next month. It might sound weird that I WANT to have TOM...but that has a lot to do with the fact that I didn't find out I was pregnant with my 2nd son until I was more than 4 months along!! I had no idea because it wasn't abnormal for me to go that long without TOM.

I've also heard from lots of people that it can have the opposite effect too...you can lose TOM for a few months or whatever...just until your body gets adjusted to your new lifestyle. Exercising and eating healthy can be a big shock to your body!
Amba Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #7  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

I'm kinda suprised to hear the weight affected some and not others. I think I will consult my obgyn. I'm due for an annual exam anyway and I guess it really can't hurt. This was really on my mind last night for some reason so I was thinking back and it's been off for longer then I had thought it was. Definately due for a visit...
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 157.8/157.8/130

Height: 5'5

The only difference I have noticed with my new healthy lifestyle is before when I got my TOM I had the worst cramps in the world.. Like the kind that make you almost call in sick because you feel like someone is constantly punching you in the kidneys. Now that I eat properly and exercise I can barely tell when I get my period.. The pain is totally gone.. So that is really nice.. I do second everyone that says it is different for everyone.. Another crazy thing about TOM,, Does anyone find that if you live with a girl or have a really close friend that you spend alot of time with your cycles automatically sync?? I always somehow have this happen to me.. I am on the pill and have a very regular cycle.. but this always happens to me... I think it is weird but kindof neat..
s200n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #9  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

my periods became irregular when i started gaining weight. i started having irregular periods in high school. so when i lost weight they became regular. but now that i have put on all my previous weight expect 5lbs of it my periods are irregular again. which kinda of sucks because i always have to carry pads with me because i never know when i'll get my period.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I had always been overweight or obese and had always been horribly irregular- 3-5 periods a year.

After going on BCP and losing weight I was very curious to see what would happen. I'm by no means regular, but my cycles are anywhere between 33 and 48 days, which is a marked improvement.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

When I was thinner in highschool, my periods were ridiculously regular - every 4 weeks down to the hour - but I had terrible, horrible cramps - the kind that would keep you in bed for hours.

When I gained weight, my cycle went from 28 days to 35 days, and the cramps weren't so bad. Now that I'm losing weight, my cycle is reducing - now its like 30-32 days - and the cramps are coming back. Oh goodie.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #12  

Before I gained so much weight, my cycle was very regular. I could feel and tell a day or two in advance when it's going to start. And they were still pretty regular... until I reached 230 lbs. From there, my period became so unpredictable, sometimes lasting two weeks heavily at a time (not an exaggeration, I became anemic during that time) to not showing up for three months at a time.

I am so looking forward to becoming more regular. I hate going out thinking what if it starts today? Am I completely ready, do I have all my supplies with me?
Lucky Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 155/*see ticker*/115

Height: 5'2

I've always had a really irregular period, like I would get it every 2-3 weeks and it would be terrible. I never knew when my period was going to start or how long it was going to last! I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment...but I'm really hoping they will become more regular with healthy eating and exercise
iwannalose92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 260/190/160

Height: 5'4"

I am so glad someone brought this up! I was actually going to start a thread on this exact topic! I have always had regular periods. I knew exactly what day I would start. Approx. 2 days before I would start getting cramps. It was like clock work, it never failed. About 3 months ago, I started noticing that I still get my period when I am supposed to, but I also have another one about a week and a half later. To make a long story short, I basically have 2 a month now! I am going for my yearly exam next month and I will definately be talking to my Dr. about this. Even if it's nothing serious, its annoying!
IHeartMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #15  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

For me, my period stops coming if I gain weight. I went 1 year without getting my period. The nurse said it was me going off birth control pills and my body needed some time to get "kick started".... it was very frustrating not getting my period for a year. At a point I thought I had become infertile... nope it was just me being too big and my body being out of whack~ (approx 190 lbs - 210 lbs)

It becomes regular again (every 24-30 days) when I am below 180 lbs. So far 3 months into my journey, I've been getting my period every month and it's SUCH a welcome change
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote