Old 12-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Default OT: Eyebrow thickness

Are thicker eyebrows really THAT unfeminine? I don't mean unkempt, just thicker. Like, I pluck mine on both the top and bottom to get rid of any scraggly hairs not in shape with the rest of the eyebrow and then pluck to add a LITTLE shape, but I don't take off a lot. I leave them thicker. And a few times I HAVE gotten comments that maybe I should pluck my eyebrows (which made me kind of mad because I DO, I just don't thin them, I make them neat). I mean, I think they look fine, but is there a REASON that only thinner eyebrows are considered good? I don't get it.

My plucked eyebrows:

I look at photos of some of my friends and photos of people online and their eyebrows are thinner than mine. Now granted, I HATE the super thin eyebrow look, but this look seems to be the more popular one:

I don't do mine like that, getting thinner as it goes outward. Rather, I keep the thickness throughout. I dunno. I guess I can't really critique myself objectively, so I thought I'd ask.

And what do all you ladies do with your eyebrows?

(I told you it was OT! )
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I was reading the other day that thicker eyebrows were back "in". Yours look fine!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #3  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

I have naturally really thin eyebrows and i hate them!! I can't shape them at all, cuz there would be nothing left. So they just look sloppy and unkept... at least i think so. I don't worry about it though, cuz there's nothing i can do! I just pluck the stray hairs above and below and to the sides.

Meg, i like yours! i think they look good. You could go thinner if you want, but you definitely don't need to. They look nice and clean
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #4  
A double-chinned doctor.

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I think that thicker brows tend to keep you looking young, while thinner, overplucked brows can easily age someone.
april714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 97/78/65 - 214/172/143

Height: 168cm - 5'6

I wish I had thicker eyebrows! Jealous. I really like that look, but, being a redhead, my eyebrows are quite fair and appear thinner than they already are. I like strong features on people and dislike that over-plucked pencil thin look.
merose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

I think the thin eyebrow look is very 90s. I see a lot of models nowadays with the natural eyebrow look - I really think that's where the "in" style is going now.

I have thickish eyebrows, and one time I was getting a pedicure and the girl asked me if I wanted her to wax my eyebrows. I was like, "...ummm, nooo - do I look like I need them waxed?" Her eyes got really wide and she said, "Ohhh, yesss." Um, thanks? Hahaha...but I didn't, because I like them how they are. PLus, they're RED! They're not even that noticeable. They just look natural, and I like that look on me and other people. When girls have thin, over-plucked eyebrows, I always think they could have used that time on something more important...lol.

Last edited by angee phalangee; 12-27-2009 at 08:49 AM.
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #7  

Height: 5'11"

It's not like you have a uni-brow! I think they look fine. If you wonder what they might look like, you could get them waxed one time as a treat (I've never done it), but otherwise I would just keep doing what you're doing. I agree with others that the over-plucked look with the teeny little line of brow can be very aging and is a dated look. Plus, I think some people did all that over-plucking back when it was the rage and now their eyebrows are permanently thin, so that's unfortunate.

As for the girl in the photo, the part of the brow that she has is nice but to me it just looks weird that she has no eyebrow towards the outer edges at all.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I have thick eyebrows. I mean, Gaucho thick. And I love them!

I've noticed that if I'm waxing them myself then I go a bit thinner simply because it looks cleaner when *I* do it that way. When I get them professionally done, she leaves them thicker than I would do myself simply because she's better at it and can make them look nice and shapely.

I never underestimate the power of having professionally shaped brows, especially on thick brows.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think you've done a beautiful job of neatening your eyebrows without going further than that.

You're right that usually the "in" eyebrow is thinner than that, although it varies somewhat. But so what? The "in" look also usually involves a lot of stuff that takes a full time career (aka actress) to achieve.

I have no problem with women doing anything they want to their appearance. I just have a problem when they feel like they *should* be doing something they don't really want to do.

Confidence is all you really need.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #10  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I like your eyebrows They look very clean and groomed while still being full. Full not being a bad thing, they're a strong feature. I personally think they balance and frame your face nicely.

No harm in experimenting either. You could try going a tad thinner (plucking from the bottom up!) and see how you liked it. One nice thing about eyebrows is they grow back quickly, lol.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #11  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

btw meg, I just want to let you know i think you look stunning without your glasses!!!!
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzang View Post
btw meg, I just want to let you know i think you look stunning without your glasses!!!!
I know, I wish I could ditch the glasses. Goodness I've tried. I tried again in July... got contacts and such, really liked them. But my eyes kept reacting to them. After only FOUR HOURS of use my eyes would be like BLOODSHOT, and they'd stay that way for days (after taking the contacts out and only wearing glasses). I still have a little bit of permanent redness in my eye now and I haven't worn the things since like September! It's absolutely ridiculous. Oh how I wish I could ditch my glasses.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I like your eyebrows! I seriously pluck mine like every few days.. but my eyebrows are naturally really, really thick. I try to keep mine fairly thick as well.. I feel like since I have a more round face, thicker eyebrows look better (i think you can kinda tell their shape from my pic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angee phalangee View Post
I think the thin eyebrow look is very 90s. I see a lot of models nowadays with the natural eyebrow look - I really think that's where the "in" style is going now.

I have thickish eyebrows, and one time I was getting a pedicure and the girl asked me if I wanted her to wax my eyebrows. I was like, "...ummm, nooo - do I look like I need them waxed?" Her eyes got really wide and she said, "Ohhh, yesss." Um, thanks? Hahaha...but I didn't, because I like them how they are. PLus, they're RED! They're not even that noticeable. They just look natural, and I like that look on me and other people. When girls have thin, over-plucked eyebrows, I always think they could have used that time on something more important...lol.

OMG, I was with my sister while she was getting her nails done, and the woman doing them asked me if I wanted my brows plucked! I was like SAAYYY WHAT? because I didn't think they looked that bad! I think they just ask everyone... or at least thats what I told myself

Last edited by kuhrisuh; 12-27-2009 at 12:46 PM.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I have naturally thicker eyebrows as well - but they also naturally thin out towards the outer edges. I like to keep them in that shape and pluck out underneath them, neatening the "thick" front half to about the halfway point and then thinning out the end. This creates a nice arching shape which tends to frame my eye but is still thick enough on the outside that you know its definitely there :P

Ironically this style of eyebrow is apparently now "in" :P It was unintentional - mine are just like that!

The shape of your eyebrow really does affect the overall "look" of a face - it's very personal though and depends entirely on what YOU like and how you feel. I think yours look fine! They suit you. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks about them.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #15  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I keep mine thick, or natural as I like to say. I look very odd with thin eyebrows. Meg, I think yours suit you
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote