Gym Membership vs. Working out at home.

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Gym, Gym, Gym.

I have always tried the working out at home thing, something always comes up, the phone rings, kids need attention, dinner needs to be made, cleaning needs to be done.... something.

Many gyms have specials this time of year. I just recently joined planet fitness and I love going there because 95% of their members are people who have not been a member to a gym before. At my planet fitness location they are open 24 hrs a day M- Th and 7-9 on F, S, S. I love going there because they stress no lurking (grunting, dropping weights, ect). Pretty much, no showing off. They just want to promote overall health and fitness. Everything in there is easy to use (and fun!) They even have free personal and group training (but in small groups). And a plus for planet fitness if you get the black card membership which is 19.99/mo you also get free guest access (which means you can bring people with you if you know of someone who wants to work out with you.) plus half price sports drinks, free use of massage chairs and free tanning (once you get that A+ body, that could really be an incentive.... at least it is for me.)

You'd think i'm promoting Planet fitness or work for them, but I really dont, i just love them because how affordable they are. Their memberships range from $10 - $20 a month.

Kim
  • I just joined golds and love it! I got 2 free personal training sessions, which helped get me going. I had to pay a onetime large enrollment fee, but I only pay $20 a month which is payroll deducted. Each golds is a bit different as far as all that goes. I have a stack of dvds and stuff but never use them. I enjoy getting out of the house!
  • This could go either way for anyone. You can either way a couple hundred of so on excercise equiptment and never use it, or put money towards a gym membership and hardly go.

It's totally up to you and how committed you are for either. I hate gyms but lately i'm starting to reconsider just because there is more varity to go by at a gym then at home with workout video's or a tredmill or whatever you buy.

Try and go for a 3 month pass if you can if they have something like that at a gym (kind of like a trail run) and if you see yourself going then great, if you don't end up going no real big loss! Either way the choice is up to you and your commitment.
  • I love having my gym membership! I belong to 24hr fitness. Paid for one year up front when I signed up 2 years ago and now only pay $12 a month. The thing I love is that it gives me something to go do and I never get bored! I can run one day, row the next, maybe a spin class. Once I got over the fear of being judged I really enjoyed it. Now I just laugh at the girls who put on their make up and do their hair to go stand by the weights. Or the ones who really work out are great motivation....nothing beats staring at a super athletic girl to get me motivated!
  • I love the gym! It has everything I need, and people who are there to help! You can get a complete full body workout way better than you would be able to get at home. I reccomend it.
  • I have a membership at the Y and I love it. There is a "kidzone" so I can drop the kids off and have a little me time. And since my husband and I were both in school, we were able to get financial aid so it is really cheap.
  • I think having the option of both is great. I am more motivated when I go to the gym but last night my husband pulled out the dance dance revolution game and me and him went to town on it. The game said that we burned 3000+ cals on it. We weren't doing it for the workout but we kept competing for hours and today we woke up sore. He lost 4 lbs and I lost 1 lbs but we had so much fun and we sweated a lot. I might start using it more when I don't feel like going to the gym. I could barely walk up the stairs.

I would say get a gym membership just incase you feel like going to the gym but i know a lot of people who enjoy working out at home.
  • During those cold winter weeks I never want to go to the gym or when I get home from work and I have to cook too I have no energy to venture out. This year instead of wasting money on a membership i invested in a Wii fit to track my weight and help me exercise and a treadmill. I am doing better than I did before. My trick is I tivo my favorite shows and then when I am sitting around that treadmill is staring me in the face so I know instead of sitting I can get some exercise in and walk and watch my shows. it is working out great!
  • I'm motivated more at the gym even though I do some work outs at home. if I pay the money for the gym, I'm definitely going to get my moneys worth .

Try to get specials. SOme gyms may offer special rates for people working with a certain company or maybe even student rates. I pay $25 a month with no contract. There aren't many gyms here but I'm sure you wil have better luck. Also, try a trainer for a month that way you can learn how to use the machines and that way you can be even more motivated. Good luck!!!
  • I have a full home gym, with like every piece of equipment you can imagine. But, I've had it for the past 5 years, and only used it a few times. Now I have a gym membership, and I work out every day! I love the gym atmosphere, so I recommend a gym membership
  • I tried for a couple years and spent hundreds of dollars for a 12 month membership that I used less than 10 times.

Some people are gym bunnies; I am not. I tried working out at home and got bored doing the same thing everyday. Since I started walking and slowly progressed to running, I have found that I am most comfortable outside under the sun (or clouds, depending on the weather )

In other words, before you spend heaps of money on memberships and gym equipment, try before you buy (if you like). See if your local gyms are offering a 4-week plan. It's coming up to Xmas, so they should be starting. For exercise at home, workout to hired DVDs or YouTube videos.
  • Woaaah, this is a 3 year old thread! You really wanted to discuss this, huh, Rhiko?! I'm all about working at home/around my area. I think gyms are great, they can really be a great tool for someone who is starting out since there are people trained to help. But for me there's nothing better than running around outdoors, beats running on a treadmill every time!
  • Wow, I didn't even see the date! I clicked on it from the main forum page!

I agree though that outside is best!
  • Haha, so weird!
  • I tried to work out at home soooo many times in my life and it always ends up being the samething, start out good, then "I'll do it later." Despite paying for the items needed I kept putting it off cause it'll still be there in a few hours, days, weeks, etc. It didn't matter cause I only paid for it once. But with a gym membership once that month is gone, it's gone forever. And I'll have to pay again the following month. So I go almost everyday since I joined about a month ago. I think in the last month I've missed 4 days, give or take. And look for deals. When I joined I joined when they where having a sale. On top of that I get a discount cause they give discounts to employees at my workplace. I pay about $34 a month.