3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Exercise? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/187126-exercise.html)

lulu2005 11-28-2009 12:57 PM

Exercise?

Ok I was just thinking about how I need to get back to the gym this week, but something my Weight Watchers leader said a few weeks ago has kept me away. I weighed in and had gained 1.6 pounds and she said that sometimes when you start working out, you gain at first and then lose. Is this true? I know I need to be working out but I really don't want to gain anymore. How long does it take to start losing again? And what kind of workouts should I be doing?

redliss7 11-28-2009 01:46 PM

I know I have not found this to be true. Some people do gain weight from muscle but this is dificult to do, seeing as it takes a LONG time to do this and you have to be in caloric surplus. Anyways, I suggest cardio for weight loss as that will help you create the deficit you need to lose weight. Perhaps the weight gain you are seeing is from water retention. When muscles are sore they tend to retain water and if you are into a new routine, chances are you will be sore. This always happens to me so I dread weigh-ins post heavy weight session because I'm always up 2-3 lbs, though they tend to disappear as the soreness diminishes.

chlorinated 11-28-2009 01:52 PM

hi lulu!
i'm not an expert but i would encourage you to exercise anyway... you will find it a lot easier to lose weight if you are burning calories and toning muscles as well as watching what you put into your body. if you're really worried, focus most of your workout time on cardio and you should start losing ASAP.
sometimes i gain a bit if i've been doing tons of weights, but i don't see it on my body. you will lose inches faster if you exercise, even if the numbers on the scale convince you it's not true.
i have a lot of friends that shy away from weights or toning exercises because they are afraid to put on a couple of pounds. but i always think a toned, thin body looks better than just a thin body- and the toned body works more efficiently.
but that's just my opinion! i'm sure there are lots of others here who will have different advice for you :)

junebug41 11-28-2009 02:30 PM

While this IS true for me, it has never made me shy away from exercising!

I do get a little blip on the scale at first, but I just tell myself that it's excess water used to repair muscles and an increase of blood.

Really, I feel so good when I start working out after a break that the blip is just not important enough. Please don't let it discourage you.

tiffany0809 11-28-2009 03:17 PM

After a workout you will experience a slight gain from fluid retention in the muscles. Basically if you're feeling sore, you'll probably see a small gain on the scale. But it should only last a couple of days and you should definitely keep working out! The fluid will go away and you'll burn fat and build muscle.

Tuca125 11-28-2009 04:35 PM

I am in your shoe right now..... thinking exactly the same as you..... but december is my month , I going to star this month.

Gekster 11-28-2009 04:51 PM

As everyone else said, after you work out your body holds onto more water to help rebuild muscles. You want this. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so if you are doing strength training you will build the muscle which will give you an initial gain, but that will go away in a day or so and you will be left with muscle that will burn calories for you even when you aren't doing anything. It also helps to drink more water so your body isn't afraid to let some go, it knows there is more coming. Exercise is key, don't give it up!

beerab 11-28-2009 06:12 PM

Exercising has so many other benefits as well- to not exercise just doesn't make sense. I have noticed a HUGE change in my endurance, I can run now without getting winded, I feel stronger, and overall just feel better.

Make sure you get your proper water intake and you shouldn't gain like mad- maybe a pound or two at first- but after that if you keep gaining you might be eating more than you realize?

Lackie 11-28-2009 07:36 PM

I agree with JuneBug it can, but it shouldn't discourage you from exercising. It helps your body so much and it will help the weight come off faster as well. If you just change your eating habits you will continue to lose weight, but you will eventually plateau. :(

The weight will probably drop off and make sure you are getting enough water. :)

stellarosa27 11-28-2009 09:41 PM

The only time I gain after exercise is if I don't drink enough water after I exercise. I stick to mainly cardio and drink plenty of water, and I pretty much see a loss most of the time.

lulu2005 11-29-2009 02:56 AM

Thanks so much everyone! I'm definitely getting back in the gym Monday morning!! I really appreciate all your encouragement!!

Lackie 11-29-2009 02:26 PM

Yay for getting back into the gym!

JMC885 11-29-2009 07:52 PM

Yay! Drink LOTS of water!