Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/154/135

Height: 5'2

Unhappy Oh Please Help Me!!

I am struggling big time to get on a diet. I just got engaged (yay!!) and I am now starting to plan my wedding, which will be next October. I really want to lose all this crummy weight and tone up. I am having the hardest time possible sticking to any one diet. Does anyone have ideas that have worked for them? Can you please help a girl out? I am at a total loss here.
Mollyjean1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Congrats on your engagement!!

First and foremost, you need to go with a plan that you can stick with. It isn't always easy, but you need to be able to manage it for it to work. A lot of people count calories and keep track of their intake using fitday or daily plate. Some people do low carb. Others focus on eating a diet rich in whole foods (lean meats, whole grains and LOTS of fruits and veggies).

It's all about finding what works best for you.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/282/250

Height: 5'7"

I am doing weight watchers ..I too ahve struggled wit diets and sticking to one my whole life. THis actually works for me..If someone said you couldnt ahve a piece of this or that..your whole life..its not sensible..with WW you can have alot of stuff you just have to stick to your daily points..Plus as a bonus you get 35 extra points a week and extra points for activities working out so on..It worth a try look it up..theyhave plenty of ww recipes also...Good LUCK!!
Stylist83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Height: 5'3"

Calorie counting works for me as long as you find something you can stick with you will see results! Good Luck You Can Do It!
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I also like calorie counting. It's good because it forces me to keep a food log and studies show that people who keep a food log lose weight. Also, it makes me feel like nothing is completely off limits. I have also cut down on diet soda, bread and coffee.

I would highly recommend an exercise routine. Start by just moving more. Park farther away, use stairs, squeeze your buns when you're sitting in traffic, do some crunches during commercials when watching t.v. Increase to walking. If you're really out of shape, start slow, but keep challenging yourself. If you haven't broken a sweat, it wasn't really a workout.

I also recommend no food after a certain hour. Most people lose most control at night. Every time you feel like eating, look at some wedding magazines, call a friend, take a walk, do something different.

There are different programs that work for different people. I hope you find the one that works for you.

luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #6  
wants to look good naked

S/C/G: 200/171.8/135

Height: 5'5"

I remember reading somewhere that the hardest part of the diet is just sticking to it for the first ten to 14 days. After that it becomes a part of life.

So make that your first goal. To do this for two weeks. Start out easy and count calories and drink the necessary water in take. After that you can slowly take in other "regimes" or diets...
dizzysoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #7  
Chrissy

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5"6

First off, Congrats on getting engaged!

I know it's hard and it seems impossible but try to write everything down OR you can use one of the tons of online programs that lets you enter information in. I don't trust the calorie counts on everything but it gives me and idea and recommends different foods and exercises. I think the most important thing is to start slow. Try cutting out something small (like soda, or extra creamer in your coffee) and once that's accomplished add in more goals (eat more salad, walk more, etc..) and before you know it you will think about the benefits that the foods and exercises have to your body.

Having said all that...your getting MARRIED!!!! That sounds like an awesome by itself! :-)
ChristineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Pardon an old woman for butting in but ... ever since I grabbed Oxygen's supplemental mag called "Off the Couch", I've been dying to suggest it to someone who is struggling to get started.

Please, please have a look. It's fabulous!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well certainly finding something that you not only can stick with, but here's the thing- that you are WILLING to stick with is essential. You will have to accept the fact that you can no longer eat how you currently are, otherwise you wouldn't be looking to lose weight. So you must accept that something has to change.

For many, that's calorie counting. It's forced portion control and built in accountability. Once you start counting those calories, all of a sudden your choices become much clearer, wanting to get the most from those calories. I also find it vital to plan out my foods in advance, leaving nothing to chance. Eating healthy won't happen on it's own and it DOES required some thought, as does anything that's important.

I urge you not to dread these changes, but embrace them, look forward to them and get excited about them. Don't look at it as "poor me", I can't eat this and I can't eat that. Focus on all the wonderful things you CAN and should eat, as it will free you up to have the best possible life. No settling for second best. Adhering to a healthy diet is a blessing and a joy and no burden. The rewards are beyond belief astounding.

Keep in mind, once established, new (healthy) habits are just as hard to break as old (unhealthy) habits.

Losing weight is a doable thing for anyone and everyone. Yourself included. DECIDE to do this. COMMIT to do this and it shall be done! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #10  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Best wishes on your upcoming wedding!

I found that getting married was the BIGGEST motivator to lose weight. I really wanted to look fabuolous on that day. I had been really sloppy about eating and exercicing and had put on an additional 10 lbs(in addition to the 10 I always struggled with). I joined a gym and Weight Watchers on the same day and lost 25 lbs. in 3 months. I picked out a gown that was very fitted through the waist and just thinking of those fittings kept me motivated to maintain. I was at my lowest adult weight on my wedding day...sigh...

Now I'm 41 and have been married for 12 years, and have really let myself go, but I'm back on the wagon!

Good luck with your goals. You picked an amazing place to be inspired and motivated.
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote