Old 10-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #1  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

Default Buying A Size Down For Motivation?

Okay. So I went shopping today. Mostly for milk and weights.

But I also went because winter is well on it's way (a thin layer of ice is starting to stick to the top of the pond out back) and I can't continue traipsing around in shorts at bedtime for much longer. It's just too cold. So I'm looking and looking and looking. And I found a very cute pajama set. Fuzzy pants, a tank top, and a matching fuzzy blanket. For about $25.

One problem. The largest the sets go is Large. Hm. Clearly, I am not a large. I am an extra large at best. I know that top is going to be too small and I'm pretty sure that, at best, the pants will be a little snug. But I thought to myself... "Self," I said. "Philip won't be here on Christmas morning. Your parents didn't even get you a birthday present last year. Let alone Christmas. There isn't anyone to give you anything for Christmas but you. And what do you want most for Christmas."

My answer was to be sexy at 135 lbs. I immediately stared myself down and demanded that I be realistic about things.

"Well, it would be nice to have lost some weight. Ten to twenty pounds maybe."

I eyed myself again, "Weight loss is admirable, but I know you. I mean, I am you. You don't want to wake up on Christmas morning with nothing but twenty pounds lost. Where is the fun in that... So. I'll make you a deal. You lose that weight and I'll buy you something cute and leave it under the tree for Christmas."

So I bought the pajama set. The top is, in fact, too tight. The bottoms are, indeed, too snug. But the plan is to use them as motivation. Has anyone else tried on something that was a little snug but bought it anyway as motivation? Does it work?

I think I'm gonna put those pajamas right where I can see them, first thing in the morning and last thing at night. ^^
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #2  
A double-chinned doctor.

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I hear ya. I've been told it's not a good idea, but have done it anyway.

I currently have a pair of Joe's jeans under my bed - in 2 different sizes. Bought them from Anthropologie, who has a great return policy. I'm giving my self a deadline. Obviously, hoping for the smaller size.

Last edited by april714; 10-18-2009 at 06:35 PM.
april714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #3  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Garnet - it may seem a little crazy, but I think it's a good idea. I am guilty of this as well. I bought 3 shirts from an online store the other day, knowing good and well that they will probably be too snug at best, but because I am losing weight, I wanted them and I bought them. Keep your chin up, and remember, you have a really cute present thats going to be waiting under the tree!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #4  
Jessica, Becoming Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by april714 View Post
I hear. I've been told it's not a good idea, but have done it anyway.
Really? I wonder what the reasoning behind that would be. I mean I cold understand if we were talking about a dress or something slinky. If it didn't flatter your shape when you got to be small enough to wear it, it might be a little disheartening. But I don't see how buying a pair of pajamas that are a little snug as motivation would be ill-advised though.

Anyway. What's done is done, right? And I'm gonna see if it works anyway. How close are you to being able to fit into one of those pairs of jeans?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #5  
Actual hot librarian.

S/C/G: 189/150.0/149

Height: 5'7.5"

I think you are pretty safe with pj pants! I've done this with pants that I know fit me (ie buying the exact same style from jcrew that i bought last time when I know I am 2-3 lbs from fitting) and with an A-line skirt (ordered in the mail, actually fit me when it arrived, since I have a small waist).

I wouldn't do it with pants that I hadn't had in that exact style, with a from fitting dress, or with a pencil skirt. But PJ pants? Golden.

Hope your Christmas is a Merry one!
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #6  
A double-chinned doctor.

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetrising View Post
Really? I wonder what the reasoning behind that would be. I mean I cold understand if we were talking about a dress or something slinky. If it didn't flatter your shape when you got to be small enough to wear it, it might be a little disheartening. But I don't see how buying a pair of pajamas that are a little snug as motivation would be ill-advised though.

Anyway. What's done is done, right? And I'm gonna see if it works anyway. How close are you to being able to fit into one of those pairs of jeans?
Hey, like I said, I do it too! Just been told to dress for now, not for my goal, one too many times. that's all. I figure with pj's or a good return policy, we're good.

I'm actually pretty close to fitting into one pair, and I'm guessing once I get into the 140s, I'll get into the other pair. Even though I gained 30+ pounds, my pant size only went up 1-2 sizes depending on the brand. Big hips.
april714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I think you're safe with pyjamas. I dont like to do it with things like tops and pants and things, because i dont know really what shape is under this fat xD I thought i was an hour glass, but actually im becoming more and more appley...curses! Anyway, thats prob why people say its not a good idea (plus i get disappointed when they dont fit fast enough). But pjs sound good!

"Weight loss is admirable, but I know you. I mean, I am you."
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I'm all about alterior motives to get myself in gear. I still use certain events (like the beach vacation I just got back from) to help keep myself on plan, especially when it's the last thing I want to do.

I don't buy smaller clothers, though. I used to do that quite a bit, but I was buying things that were ill fitting on my shape in general and being a certain size wasn't going to change that (silly hips and short torso!)

Last edited by junebug41; 10-18-2009 at 07:15 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I've done this a few times before. And honestly it never worked for me in the past. But buying a size down wasn't my problem... not believing in myself was my problem. I still have the size 18 jeans that almost fit the last time i was losing weight. And I'm going to wear them damnit. But first I've got to get into all my old size 20 stuff, hehe. I have 4 spacebags full of my old "skinny" clothes (or less-fat clothes if you will). I've pulled out a few tops already; can't wait to get to the rest!

I do think if you're going to buy something in a smaller size it needs to be kind of close to fitting. A- because you want to be sure it fits your figure. As she mentioned above, sometimes the size isn't the only problem. B- because if you have to lose too much to get there it may be more of a frustration than a motivation.
When it comes to saving old smaller clothes, I recommend storing anything more than one size down so it's not taking up your closet, taunting you!

Last edited by Aclai4067; 10-18-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #10  
Jessica, Becoming Me

Yeah story smaller clothes, not a problem. I've been the weight I am (take 15 pounds, occasionally) for many a year now. The pajama set aside, there really isn't a lot that I own that could taunt me. Other than about how big I already am. XD
Old 10-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #11  
Courtney

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/154

Height: 5'6 Age: 29

I have a snug pair of sweat pants that my 'skinny' roommate gave me. They are a size medium --I am a size large on a really good day-- but I call them my goal pants (should say Mini-Goal pants) and try them on every other week or so to see if they are starting to fit better. I do agree not to get anything that's extremely small, like ultimate goal clothes... but getting something that's a size smaller can't be a horrible idea! Hope you have a Happy Christmas!
cormandy62442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6.5"

I've bought some shirts that I knew were a little small for me, because they were the last ones left. This time around, I've found that putting one of the shirts together with a pair of my pants that don't fit anymore and hanging them up on the back of my bedroom door is quite a motivator, actually.
beatific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #13  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

I do that too! This is my second time losing, but before when I went from 190 to 145, I bought a few tops sized medium and kept them in plain sight so everytime I went to grab a top, I would eye it. When I got into the large's, I worked even harder b/c I was so close to fitting into them, and it was really cool to see myself first not fit into something, then almost fit, then fit, and then watch it get bigger on me and then have that other item of clothing to replace it. I think its a good idea as long as its within your reach, like a pair of size 10 jeans vs. a pair of size 0 jeans.
The mistake I did was not throwing away my old, bigger clothes..

Last edited by Starrynight; 10-18-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #14  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

Im with ya! I have tons of clothes in my closet with tags that I bought, "for when i lose weight" Maybe I should take a few out and try and fit them for xmas!!!
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 AM   #15  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

lol i do this.. i find if i like something and its a size smaller i buy it anyway. especaillly if its on sale. its something to help me look forward to my goal weight.
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote