Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

I have not ever bought a size down for motivation. But earlier this week I decided to simplify my life and get rid of 50% of my clothing. I got rid of every single pair of shorts and capri pants I own. So next spring, I am going to have to buy new ones. I would rather but new ones in smaller size than new ones that are the same size as I just got rid of. That would be waste.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #32  

Height: 5'2

Oh I definitely do that....
Now that I wear a size 12, I bought size 10 jeans and I try them every 2-3 wks. I get motivated when I see that each time I try them on they go higher than the last time...
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #33  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by size8 View Post
Oh I definitely do that....
Now that I wear a size 12, I bought size 10 jeans and I try them every 2-3 wks. I get motivated when I see that each time I try them on they go higher than the last time...
But what happens if next time they don't go higher but you have still lost weight in other areas. Aren't you going to be dissapointed? What if this happens 2 times in a row, or three? Wouldn't that make you dissapointed and question your weight loss?
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #34  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkman View Post
But what happens if next time they don't go higher but you have still lost weight in other areas. Aren't you going to be dissapointed? What if this happens 2 times in a row, or three? Wouldn't that make you dissapointed and question your weight loss?
Not me. But I track pounds and inches. Having something a size smaller that you can suddenly fit into is merely tangible evidence. Besides, it's not like I try the every week. The goal I have for the pajama set I have is to fit in them by Christmas. That's two months from now. And I can already get them all the way on, but they're really snug. So if they haven't loosened up any by then, it means that I'm doing something wrong and need to reevaluate.

That being said, it's clear from other posters that this isn't a good idea for everybody because everyone is different and some people find it very motivational and others don't.
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #35  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkman View Post
I think she made it clear that it's something that is working for her

As I said earlier, this isn't a practice that has ended well for me personally, but if you're finding motivation and inspiration each time those jeans go a little higher then more power to ya!

Last edited by junebug41; 10-24-2009 at 01:51 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

I think that this can be a really motivating way to go, and I've somewhat done it. I like to shop in second hand stores, and found a really eccentric jacket that I just couldn't leave there. It's a L and I usually wear an XL, but I tried it on and I can just button it, though it is definitely too tight. I bought it anyway, and I'm excited to see how it will fit in a month or two. Winter won't be over until at least May where I am, so I have awhile to reach this goal.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #37  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

I buy half my clothes too snug. I used to buy the waaaay too small (as motivation) but then I would never wear them.. ever. Now when things are a little tight, I think, they're just a couple weeks of workouts and on-plan eating away from fitting. BUT, I can't have all too-tight clothes so half the things I buy fit perfectly too.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:57 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I do it, but only with thrift/clearance clothing. Of course, I pretty much always buy thrift/clearance no matter what!

Anyway, sometimes it works out great, other times, not so much. The clothes may just not have the right cut for my body. When it doesn't work out (or they become too big), I send them back as part of the Great Cycle of Thrift, lol.

But I am beginning to find certain lines that seem to work for me, like Gloria Vanderbilt jeans seem flattering on me, regardless of size, so I would buy those a size down with confidence.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #39  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

I do this, sometimes. I mean, when i have a pair of tight fitting jeans on, I feel fat, and it makes me want to lose the weight.
considering I bought these pair of pants, a size bigger,a dn they're swimming on my, but i like that I feel small, somewhat? does that make any sense??

it works for some, others it doesn't
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #40  

i have def done this my clothes arent even snug.. they just dont fit... Im an 11/12 and i buy all my clothes in 7/8.....

So sad all the moolah ive spent....but Im not looking back anymore... Im done.... Im telling ya im losing this weight..... So for the next 2 months im going to be in sweats... its nothing new to me but I have picked what my measurements should be and ill continue to buy clothes in that size....i wont spend a fortune but ill buy something here and there im going to save my moolah for a big shopping spree.... yay

Oh yeah my first reveal is On Jan 1st
Im going to be in hiding at home til then....

Self, you got this.... i love u.
AlexxusMich2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

I have done this for cute skirts at Salvation Army... at least I know I didn't spend too much money on them, right? But I think for more expensive clothes it's better just to wait. But that's just me!!!
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #42  

Well I just got rid off all my size 16 and size 14 clothes over the past weekend, i just kept asking myself why am I still keeping these big clothes; is it for just in case I gain 5lbs...

Its time to let go, that is not me anymore...
I am not a size 14/16 anymore and its time to move forward and not look back...

So hopefully I will be giving away my size 12 clothes(which are not many since size 12 is just a temporary weight) in about 2 months time...

My friends are actually suggesting that I just buy size 8 clothes to be extra motivated, I know they are right but I think I am scared of what if I fail....

Its time to let go of the past, banish my fears of failure, embrace the present and work hard towards that size 8....
As the Addidas slogan says Impossible Is Nothing

I truly believe that...

Cheers ladies...
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

I have two large refuse sacks full of clothes from when I was at goal weight, so I don't need to buy motivation clothes. Once I start to lose more weight I will definitely keep trying my favourites on every now and then to track progress. For now I stubbornly refuse to buy any clothes that aren't absolutely necessary and I look forward to giving my current clothes away to charity when they become too big for me.

Last edited by Sanna Maria; 11-06-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #44  
peace<3

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

I have personally never done this but I think it may be a good motivation tool for some.
makeupforlifee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 181/161/145

Height: 5 ft. 8

I haven't done it but I plan on doing it next week for an AMAZING skirt for New Year's Eve. I can (barely) get into the 6 but I'm going to buy it in a 4... I wouldn't do it if I weren't confident I can do it! I will hang it in my room somewhere I can see it for motivation. I will let everyone know if it works, haha. If it doesn't, I'll save the skirt or give it to my sister for Christmas!
chlorinated is offline   Reply With Quote