Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Favorite weightloss foods?

I thought maybe a threat where we post our fav weight loss foods and the reason would be good? Maybe we can borrow ideas from each other?

Here are mine:

Best snacks:

Light Yogurts
- the ones I eat are 90 cal and filling. Great protein snack that will not make me feel hungrier in an hour or two.

Green tea
- its supposed to aide weight loss, it has crap loads of antioxidants it gives me a little energy during the 3 pm slump = whats not to like?

Light string cheese I buy these in bulk at costco. I like the portion control, the fact that they are only 80 cals and again, the protein prevents a crash later. I often eat a tangerine and a string cheese as a snack. I also use string cheeses to wrap up in a small whole wheat tortilla and microwave w hot sauce for a quick, filling mini quesadilla (the tortiallas i get aer 110 cals and have lots of fiber)

laughing cow light garlic and onion cheese wedges yummy and good calorie (I think they are 30 per wedge). Have one or two w a sliced apple or whole wheat crackers for a tasty snack.

honey nut cheerios I have a bowl for dessert on nights when I cant live without something sweet. W milk I normally count this as 200 cals. You get 3/4 of a cup for 110 cals.

port Again, if I cannot live w out dessert I will have a small (2 oz pour) of port (maybe 1-2 per week). Its very sweet and strong and I end up sipping it for about an hour (whereas if I have a scoop of icecream I will devour it in 30 seconds flat and want more, and more, and more).

generally - cooking my own food it is easier to manage calories. I like to think of my plate as being 2/4 for veggies, 1/4 for lean protein and 1/4 for complex carbs.

What are your fav weight loss foods and or tips? Why?
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #2  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I love broccoli with the swiss cheese by laughing cow for two cups of frozen broccoli with a laughing cow cheese its 85 cals. broccoli is 25 cals per cut and the cheese is 35 cals its soooo good
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #3  
sucker for candy corn

S/C/G: 186/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

My must-have foods:

Thomas' Better Start English Muffins - 100 calories per muffin; add a tblsp or two of preserves, a mixture of egg and egg whites, or a slice of tomato and a bit of cheese

Smucker's Reduced Sugar Preserves - 25 calories per tblsp; I like this much more than regular preserves because it's sweet and tart - I usually put it on an english muffin for dessert

Steel-cut oats - 180 calories per cup; add frozen berries, honey or (my latest favorite) pumpkin & pumpkin spice; keeps me full until lunch.

tomatoes - slice up and put in sandwiches, eat with hummus; I must have tomatoes in my fridge at all times =)

I love your idea of having honey nut cheerios for dessert...I'm definitely going to pick some up.
Civakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

My favs:

Smartfood white cheddar popcorn 100 calorie snack bags: These do two things for me - take care of my popcorn craving for only 100 calories, and quick portion control

Motts no sugar added applesauces: They come in all sorts of yummy flavors, some high in antioxidants and fiber...and they're just sweetened with fruit. They're so yummy, and not very many calories at all.

Laughing Cow light cheese wedges: 'Nuff said...they're delicious.

Mixed nuts: Yes, they're high in calories and fat, but it's healthy fat, and I can't get enough! They take care of my salt cravings (even though I buy the lightly salted varieties) and take care of some of the protein I miss by being a vegetarian
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Smart Ones frozen meals: I know they aren't the best thing in the world, but when I'm rushed, stressed or low on dinner options, I consider them better than fast food.

Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches: I buy them in bulk at Costco. Takes care of chocolate AND ice cream cravings.

Hot Tea: no calories and helps me get ready for sleep, which makes dieting easier to deal with. Plus, i like to sip tea when friends are eating, to give me something sweet to drink and something to do with my hands.

Fiber One Bars: good, portable snack with a fair amount of protein. I like to eat one like 20 minutes before I work out.

Hummus: at only 70 calories for 2 tablespoons, I've replaced butter and mayo with something with actual nutritional value
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: See tracker

A handful of almonds - filling, taste great, and good for you
Chicken breasts - amazing with salads, sandwiches, soups, very lean
Lean ground beef - patties, lasagna (with zucchini no noodles), soups, chili, on salads
Tuna - canned in water, lots of protein
Boiled eggs - for a snack or a meal
Grapefruit - I am eating them now with crumbled feta, yumm!!
Popsicles - homemade, you get to choose what goes in there and can satisfy an icecream/sweet craving.
Kashi go lean - love this stuff!
Yogurt - plain or with fruits
will list more as i remember :P
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #7  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Oh this is a tough one:

Fiber one bars are a staple to have in my house. For me they take care of my sugar craving.

Chickpeas
have become a new favorite of mine. 1 point for 1/2 cup or so and they're a great addition to a salad.

I'm sure I have plenty more I just can't think right now as I haven't had coffee yet.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #8  

Jiggly - can you give a sample recipe for an icecream bar?

thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: See tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyfreddy View Post
Jiggly - can you give a sample recipe for an icecream bar?

thanks!
Well, what I basically do is use popsicle molds and fill them up with skimmed chocolate milk, ff fruit yogurt, grapefruit juice, or homemade lemonade with splenda and freeze. its easy, and you know what goes into your popsicle.

There are recipes for fat free/sugar free icecream that you can make at home using ff milk, eggs, etc and then freezing in a container where you have to break up the icecream mixture with a fork every 30 mins (here's the method). but its time consuming so I prefer the popsicle molds better, i might give it a try someday though
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #10  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Freddy - here is a link http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=132734 for Cool Whip Sandwiches. They're like an almost ice cream sandwich. I've made these before and they're just over 100 calories.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

Gotta add more as I remember...

Hershey's sugar free mini dark chocolate bars - I LOVE dark chocolate, and this definitely takes care of my candy cravings...with no sugar!

Skinny Cow sugar free ice cream sandwiches - ice cream, no sugar, around 100 calories...yum.

PB & J Sandwiches - All natural peanut butter, AllFruit blackberry preserves (only sweetened with natural fruit juices), and Sara Lee 40 calories per slice whole wheat bread...perfect lunch! Fruit, protein, whole grains...and delicious!

V8 - I'd be lost without it...low calories and tons of veggies packed in.

Reduced fat Triscuits - great snacks, and they're perfect with light laughing cow cheese!

Okay, that's all I've got!
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #12  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Brown Rice - I get the pre-cooked organic brown rice from Trader Joe's, I just have to heat it up for 90 seconds

Steal cut oats - so filling, and so good

Luna Bars - they come in a lot of flavors and are pretty filling for a nice snack.

Cottage Cheese & Granola - I get the Live Active low fat cottage cheese and just mix half a serving of granola - its about 3 points if I do it this way.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/230/155

Instead of a Yoplait light with 14 gs of sugar or so I've been eating PLAIN Chobani which can be tough for some people but here is what I've done to spice it up!

I take plain chobani greek yogurt, add in fruits or walnuts/almonds and if i need to sweeten it up I use half a packet of Stevia/Truvia natural sweetener

the constancy of the greek yogurt is not for everyone but its very filling and easy to add to without gaining tons of calories for a snack
k8zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigglyBits View Post
Well, what I basically do is use popsicle molds and fill them up with skimmed chocolate milk, ff fruit yogurt, grapefruit juice, or homemade lemonade with splenda and freeze. its easy, and you know what goes into your popsicle.

There are recipes for fat free/sugar free icecream that you can make at home using ff milk, eggs, etc and then freezing in a container where you have to break up the icecream mixture with a fork every 30 mins (here's the method). but its time consuming so I prefer the popsicle molds better, i might give it a try someday though
Thanks!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #15  
Mining right right now...

S/C/G: 198/ticker/138

Height: 5'4

...shirataki noodles... very very low carb, i also chopped it up finely and voila rice without the extra starch.
dymondndruff is offline   Reply With Quote