Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 04:20 PM   #1  

Default Low carbs?

Any 20 somethings try low carb or have comparisons between that and low-fat/calorie counting?

I've been doing tons of reading since the recent article in the NY times regarding low carb.. and I am probably going to use myself as a guinea pig and give it a try. I have always been taught that fat is bad and we should avoid it. We should feel guiltly about eating fatty foods.. etc. I am begining to think that maybe thats not entirely right. So.. although I am very very very skeptical.. I think that there is enough evidence and scientific research to give it a try.

I'll let you know how it goes.. and I look forward to any insights from people.

-Tanya
Old 07-09-2002, 05:39 PM   #2  
Refreshed

Default Good Luck!

I've tried low-carb before and had great success with it. However, I have not kept with it, due to a few reasons.

I would like to revisit this type of lifestyle and use it as a lifestyle, not a "diet". With that said, I find myself to feel healthier when I eat less refined sugars and carbs and more fat (peanuts, cheese, etc.).

Good Luck,

April Marie
Old 07-23-2002, 12:12 PM   #3  
GO CANES!

Tanya
Did you try the low carb thing? I've attempted to before, but never really stuck to it.......I may try it again....
Old 07-23-2002, 02:37 PM   #4  

Default Yes

I started low-carb last week. I was/am doing Induction (Atkins plan). I started Sunday July 14th and made it til Saturday the 20th staying on plan. Sat I had some carbs (aka bread). Then sunday i had a very small amount for lunch and then went back on plan. Its really hard for me to give up bread!

So it has been successful. That first week I lost 5.5 pounds. I havent checked the scale for this week yet.. but I hope to stay on plan til Sunday.

I'm not sure if I like low-carb, but it has been successful.

-Tanya
Old 07-23-2002, 03:04 PM   #5  
GO CANES!

Yeah....See, I know it works. and it's relatively easy I guess.....
I just need to get started. Stop second guessing myself...right?
Old 07-23-2002, 03:19 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally posted by Princess Jihan
Yeah....See, I know it works. and it's relatively easy I guess.....
I just need to get started. Stop second guessing myself...right?
I guess it works. I am not really sure how well it works long term. I know Monique has lost weight by counting calories/watching fat intake. So I know that both lowfat and lowcarb work. I'm not sure what the answer is in the end.. it depends on your lifestyle. I personally can not live without bread.. life isnt really that enjoyable to me when I only eat meats and what not. So eventually I will be only semi-lowcarb and also semi-lowfat. We have to find that happy medium that we can stick with. but this comes after I have lost my weight.

So you should just get started. Actually.. the way I started was just exercising. I got that down and then i started to examine my eating habits. i did it one step at a time.

Sounds like you just need to tell yourself: "I am starting now. Not tomorrow.. not the next day, but today." Make a list of stuff you want to do and start. Set goals and when you achieve them.. treat yourself.

If I make it to Saturday with working out everyday and low-carb.. I am getting a hot fudge sundae. And I wont feel one bit guilty about it!

-Tanya
Old 07-23-2002, 03:22 PM   #7  
GO CANES!

OOOHHHH! Yes, that is a good idea. I'm a huge fan of lists! Going to do this now
Old 07-28-2002, 10:39 PM   #8  

Everyone's body is different. It will respond different ways to different diets or ways of eating. I have tried everything and the only thing that has worked is the low carb diet plan. You should just try it for a month or so, see how your body reacts. If you don't loose anything then you can try something different.

Good luck and hope you find something that works for you.
Bella23
Closed Thread