Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 02:35 PM   #31  

Princess Jihan welcome it can be pretty tough the weight watcher's program. I found it got to be pretty expensive and was only a short term fix. I realize I need to make life changes in regards to eating my exercise has always been the easy part. It is the intake of calories that I have to adjust if your looking for a buddy you have come to the right place. You will have a number of buddies in this place. Doing these monthly challenges sets smaller goals that hopefully will add up to some weight loss and healthier lifestyles. Good luck!!
Old 07-23-2002, 02:40 PM   #32  

Default bad knees?

Jenn,

Hey! Good to hear from you. Are you doing any running on a treadmill? I found that during the first month of heavy exercise and weight lifting.. my knees hurt quite a bit. But they got better over time. Just be sure to take it easy and if it gets worse, see a doctor! Or.. you could also take it down a knotch and do more walking and less lifting/running.

-Tanya
Old 07-23-2002, 02:43 PM   #33  

Default Re: But I want to join the challenge too!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Princess Jihan
Hello! I just joined today......I'd love to do a challenge! I need a buddy DESPERATELY to keep me in line! I've been doing WW forever, and sad to say, kind of fallen off the wagon!
Welcome to the challenge!! We typically try to list our exercise, water, weight loss goals, etc for each challenge. This one has about 1 1/2 weeks, so feel free to post away.

So how was your WW stuff been going? How long have you been on it? What are your goals? Tell us a little about yourself

And as for buddies.. I think you have just found a few

-Tanya
Old 07-23-2002, 02:53 PM   #34  
GO CANES!

YeaY!! This is so exciting!! ( I am slacking on work today I have to admit...) I'm excited to do the challenge!! I am 24, moved to Maryland about 2 years ago (WOW) from MIMAI!!! (Go Canes!!) where I went to college...now I'm here working at the National Inst. of Health, and attempting to get into grad school...
I'm in the middle of trying to decide if I want to stick with the WW or try to also cut some carbs. One would think I would be able to get my act together....my degree is in biology/EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY...
HELLO!??

Thanks to everyone...this is really a great site!
Old 07-24-2002, 08:43 AM   #35  
hottie in training

Default welcome princess!

well there is only about a week left now in the challenge? tanya, i see your current weight is 167.5 & goal was 167!?!?!?!?!??!?! good for you!!!!!!!!!!
i actually do run on the treadmill, but i haven't been doing a lot lately. i think it is the weights, maybe i am using too much weight. i am going to cut down on the leg weights (lower the amount of the weight) and hopefully that will help. i don't really want to buy new shoes right now. i am a little pissy, i bought a new pair of shoes about 2 months ago, and they just give me blisters anytime i wear them (for exercise-if i wear them just to walk around in, they are fine). i have such hard time finding athletic shoes that fit the right way!
yes MJ i agree w/u, ww is expensive, but they have the WW online program now which is a little cheaper. i think WW works, but you REALLY REALLY have to stick with it. i was on it and it worked, i lost 25#, but i just didn't stick with it. i was kind of embarrassed, i was in college, and i didn't want my friends, family, bf to know that i was doing it. then later on i got a new bf and i pretty much stopped it altogether. last summer i decided to try to the online program but i only stuck with it for a month. i know it's just a matter of the basic principles: use more calories than you consume, exercise regularly, drink water, etc. creating & maintaining a healthly lifestyle for yourself is the best thing to do. if you do it thru ww or whatever, it's still the same thing, creating a healthy lifestyle.
my biggest problem right now is overeating. yesterday i probably ate 3000+ calories. i don't know why i am doing this to myself. i know it is unhealthy, and it makes me feel bad about myself, but i do it anyway. why do i work so hard at the gym to come home and eat half a pizza???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
i haven't weighed myself since last week, and i think i am not going to again until the 31st. i am really going to try buckle down this last week and do the best i can!
Old 07-24-2002, 09:23 AM   #36  
GO CANES!

Jenn
I know exactly what you are saying.....you just dont understand why you do that to yourself. It's so frustrating.....
I think talking about it really seriously helps
Old 07-24-2002, 10:12 AM   #37  
hottie in training

princess,
1/2 a pizza was probably an exaggeration but you know what i mean. i think talking about this stuff does help. there aren't too many people around here that i can talk to about diet (it's not a diet!!)/exercise, so this board is v. helpful!
Old 07-24-2002, 10:24 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 154/144/135

Height: 5'5"

Default New here! Also interested in Challenge.

Hi All,

My name is Betty. I'm 25 years old. Work on computers in GA. And I've been watching this site for a few days.

I really want to join the challenge as well. I know there's not much time left this month, but there is still some...so here goes.

I've just started a new exercise program. It's the one that they reccomend for people planning on attending the Naval academy. Stew Smith posts it on his site. I have no interest in going the academy, but I thought it would be a cool work out to do and what a sense of accomplishment I will have when I finish it. I'm in my third day of that. It's Wednesday and I'm pumped because I've already exercised 2 days this week. YAY!

The program I am using doesn't involve going to the gym, but it does things like push ups, tricep push ups, sit ups, crunches, jumping jacks, swimming, running and squats. I figure that just about covers most of the major muscles. I was *so* sore after the first day. But yesterday was better and today is a rest day, and I think by tomorrow I will be ready to do it again.

The plan I'm using encourages people to focus first on the exercise and get that to be a habit before thinking about diet.

I have made a couple of modifications in my diet though, that are working well for me. I'm now eating a bowl of cereal in the morning rather than grabbing a breakfast bar on the run. And I'm trying to drink a gallon of water a day, as is suggested by the program. Not sure how many glasses of water this is, but I'm guessing 8-10+.

I'm 5'5" tall.

And I want to lost 15-20 lbs. I currently weigh 143. So 123-128 is my goal.

But for this month with just a week to go, I would like to make it to 141 by August 1st.

I hope everyone is having a great day!!
Old 07-24-2002, 10:29 AM   #39  
GO CANES!

I guess the best thing to do is set some goals.....and just DO it! YOu know? I feel a lot better actually even from yesterday because of this site!!
Old 07-24-2002, 12:50 PM   #40  

Default Re: welcome princess!

Quote:
Originally posted by JennPGH
well there is only about a week left now in the challenge? tanya, i see your current weight is 167.5 & goal was 167!?!?!?!?!??!?! good for you!!!!!!!!!!
i actually do run on the treadmill, but i haven't been doing a lot lately. i think it is the weights, maybe i am using too much weight. i am going to cut down on the leg weights (lower the amount of the weight) and hopefully that will help. i don't really want to buy new shoes right now. i am a little pissy, i bought a new pair of shoes about 2 months ago, and they just give me blisters anytime i wear them (for exercise-if i wear them just to walk around in, they are fine). i have such hard time finding athletic shoes that fit the right way!

[snip]

my biggest problem right now is overeating. yesterday i probably ate 3000+ calories. i don't know why i am doing this to myself. i know it is unhealthy, and it makes me feel bad about myself, but i do it anyway. why do i work so hard at the gym to come home and eat half a pizza???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
i haven't weighed myself since last week, and i think i am not going to again until the 31st. i am really going to try buckle down this last week and do the best i can!
Hey Jenn

Yeah.. I guess I am pretty close to my goal. I can not seem to lose that 1/2 pound though. I have weighed that since Friday or Saturday. grrrrr. My boyfriend thinks I should stop exercising for a day and give my body a rest. I am not sure. Sometimes I see my weight drop if I give myself a day off.. but on the other hand I do not want to lose my momentum. I did set my goal pretty low (only 5 pounds).... so that also helps. I havent seen more than 1 pound loss per week except for last week when i started low-carb.
I've heard the treadmill is bad on the joints. I use it almost everyday as I dont have another option at this time. I eventually want to use an ellipitical, but I dont move for another 2 weeks.. then I can attend the gym since I lose my workout room.

Shoes. I hate and love buying athletic shoes. Actually, I just got a new pair of Adidas. They have the TorSion system in the sole that gives you lots of support. They are like silver, purple, and something. You kinda have to see them. But they are the best shoes I have ever bought. I didnt think I would like the color (always went with white before), but they are very nice. Super lightweight.

So I'm a bit depressed today. I want to eat tons of ice cream and just call it quits for today. Not give up totally.. just give in since I am not seeing much weight loss anyways. But I wont..

Hope things are going well for you though!

-Tanya
Old 07-24-2002, 12:53 PM   #41  

Default Re: New here! Also interested in Challenge.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lobacal
Hi All,

My name is Betty. I'm 25 years old. Work on computers in GA. And I've been watching this site for a few days.

I really want to join the challenge as well. I know there's not much time left this month, but there is still some...so here goes.

I've just started a new exercise program. It's the one that they reccomend for people planning on attending the Naval academy. Stew Smith posts it on his site. I have no interest in going the academy, but I thought it would be a cool work out to do and what a sense of accomplishment I will have when I finish it. I'm in my third day of that. It's Wednesday and I'm pumped because I've already exercised 2 days this week. YAY!

The program I am using doesn't involve going to the gym, but it does things like push ups, tricep push ups, sit ups, crunches, jumping jacks, swimming, running and squats. I figure that just about covers most of the major muscles. I was *so* sore after the first day. But yesterday was better and today is a rest day, and I think by tomorrow I will be ready to do it again.

The plan I'm using encourages people to focus first on the exercise and get that to be a habit before thinking about diet.

I have made a couple of modifications in my diet though, that are working well for me. I'm now eating a bowl of cereal in the morning rather than grabbing a breakfast bar on the run. And I'm trying to drink a gallon of water a day, as is suggested by the program. Not sure how many glasses of water this is, but I'm guessing 8-10+.

I'm 5'5" tall.

And I want to lost 15-20 lbs. I currently weigh 143. So 123-128 is my goal.

But for this month with just a week to go, I would like to make it to 141 by August 1st.

I hope everyone is having a great day!!
Hi Betty! Welcome to the site and to our challenge! You seem to be on track as far as exercise. Where is this site that has the fitness program? I'd love to check it out. Of course I could just search for it

I totally agree with focusing first on the exercise and then on the diet. Thats pretty much what I did and it has worked for me.

Keep us updated!

-Tanya
Old 07-24-2002, 12:55 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally posted by Princess Jihan
I guess the best thing to do is set some goals.....and just DO it! YOu know? I feel a lot better actually even from yesterday because of this site!!
So Princess Jihan, what are your goals? I know you were making lists yesterday..

-Tanya
Old 07-24-2002, 12:56 PM   #43  
hottie in training

well doing so far so good today. only at about 500 cals so far (after lunch) drinkin' some H2o. plans to work out at gym (step aerobics, crunches, upper body weights). if i can't stay under 1000 calories for dinner, then i've got problems!!!!!!!!!
my main goals for today are to drink ONLY water the rest of the day (or diet soda) and stay under 1000 calories for dinner.
baby steps, baby steps!
Old 07-24-2002, 02:06 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 154/144/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Re: Re: New here! Also interested in Challenge.

Quote:
Originally posted by tonic

Hi Betty! Welcome to the site and to our challenge! You seem to be on track as far as exercise. Where is this site that has the fitness program? I'd love to check it out. Of course I could just search for it

I totally agree with focusing first on the exercise and then on the diet. Thats pretty much what I did and it has worked for me.

Keep us updated!

-Tanya
Hi Tanya....the site that I have been using for the fitness program is
www.stewsmith.com

He apparently is a Physical trainer, but I'm not using it for that. I'm just clicking on the part that says, "Free Workout for United States Naval Academy."

http://www.stewsmith.com/usnapreppf.html

I'll admit I'm not yet able to do all the push ups listed under the "Upper body/ABS" section of it, but I hope to be able to do so by the time I finish this 6 week cycle.

As of today I did the warm up and 1 set of the Upper Body/ABS, then did the run. Tuesday, I did the full work out, b/c I could handle all the squats and stuff before the swim. But I'm just using it at as guideline of something to work towards. Also there are some interesting articles on that site too.

It is so good to hear that focusing on the exercise first and then dealing with the diet has worked well for you, b/c the logic made sense, but I'd never tried that before. So it's encouraging to hear that, that concept does work.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Betty
Old 07-25-2002, 10:36 AM   #45  
hottie in training

Thumbs up AARRRGGGHHH!!!

okay guys, i need a major ***-whoopin! i suggested this challenge (for aug 1), and here it is, July 25. I weighed myself yesterday, and guess what? 1-friggin 55. 155! How did this happen? I know I haven't been eating great lately but I have been trying & keeping up with exercise! 155! 160 looms nearby....
and to make things worse, tonight is "wing night" we usually go out for wings on thursday nights. now i have cut back on the number of wings i eat, i used to eat way too many, but i know they are unhealthy, esp. for someone to lose weight. i also know if i told my bf no wings, he'd be devastated! i did have a healthy breakfast, i have a healthy lunch here at work, i will just have to try not to eat too many wings tonight! i think they are about 100 calories a wing (avg) so ....
i wish there was a support group i could go to for some face to face support (not that you guys aren't great!), or i wish i had a buddy in my area to work out with & such. my bf has no interest in exercising or dieting. i wish i could convince him! (i am trying) i know WW is an option in this sense (there is one like .5 a mile from my house) but i just can't afford it. any suggestions?
monique i don't know how you do it, only 1300 cals a day? i would die!!! yesterday i actually did make it under 1500, to my surprise!
anyway, sorry to unload on you guys!
Closed Thread