3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   My little brother and I (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/175711-my-little-brother-i.html)

garstar 07-05-2009 05:34 PM

Good for you! maybe you should be telling some of this stuff from your mom? Where is your brother learning his unhealthy eating habits? I wish I had someone kicking my butt in gear!!! Congratulations on spreading health :)

beerab 07-06-2009 10:49 AM

I know you said you spoke to them, but if I were you I'd keep bringing it up and pushing it on them- maybe even try it at other angles like "mom you guys would save money not buying this stuff."

stellarosa27 07-06-2009 11:13 AM

I'm just going to repeat myself and say what you're doing is great. I was a pudgy child, and when I hit my growth spurt the pudge grew with me. The only thing that stopped it was when my mom would say, come on, let's go walk. We did it together. She went through phases when she told me to exercise more, etc etc, but then she realized, if we did it together it was different and I listened to her (she was thin her whole life). We used to get up early in the morning and go walking down the park, then if we were going shopping we'd walk to the store instead of driving the 2.5 miles.

I think the important thing here is that you're doing it with him. Like you said, you're not telling him to go run 2 miles and while you're sitting at home eating donuts, you're doing it TOGETHER, so he probably sees that you may be "struggling" with it as well - its not like you're running circles around him - you're growing and getting healthier together. I just think that's really really important.

Its why we're all here! For the support! You don't want to ask one of your thin, healthy friends to be your weight loss partner - they don't get it - but if you're working along side someone who has the same struggles as you do - its so much "easier."

PammyFl 07-06-2009 01:03 PM

I feel like I was the one writing that. My brother is also 11 years old and obese. I am having the hardest time helping him to be healthy. My parents as well just think "Oh hes young he needs to eat a lot" It grosses me out at dinner my mother will give him 3 pieces of garlic toast (its like 1100 calories ALONE) and I just sit there disgusted at the fact. I have tried talking to him many times to try to help him but he doesn't want to do anything about it, he thinks he is fine the way he is. Its sad that most kids these days sit around and play video games all day and don't get any type of exercise. When i was his age i use to ride my bike and run in the yard now you never see kids do anything unless they have there games in there hands. The only thing i have really been able to do with him is make him run with me, he isnt the least bit interested in eating even a little bit healthier. Im glad you were able to help your brother they need people to help teach them before its too late. As for me and my brother Im going to keep trying in hopes he will change his mind but atleast i have him being a little bit more active.