Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Default Hello walking boot, goodbye half marathon

I'm utterly upset right now. I ran my first 10 miler two days ago. I didn't up my miles to fast, I was adding half a mile a week at TOPS. Usually less than that. I didn't do anything wrong. But at 9.5 of 10 miles, my foot started KILLING me. But I ran through it. The last two days since have been ****, my foot hurts so bad. I go to the doc today and they said I have a stress fracture in my right foot. Basically a tiny break in the bone that happens due to repeated stress over time. I have to wear a walking boot for the next month at least. No more running. Which means everything I've worked for up until now is for nothing. No more half marathon in July. I'm going to loose the miles I've worked so hard to gain. I've been training for SO long and SO HARD for this. And all the sudden the one thing that I love the most is taken away from me.

Most importantly. I won't be able to run, I have to stay off my feet as much as possible. Running is the one thing that keeps me sane.

I've been crying all night. I need some support. What can I do? I can't just be totally inactive for the next month, I'm so scared I'm going to get completely out of shape.

Last edited by garstar; 05-27-2010 at 09:22 PM.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #2  

I totally understand how you feel. I hurt my IT band by running and had to stop for a bit and I found it very disheatening. My advice would be to work on your core muscles while you can't run. They are very important for improving your speed while running and ensuring correct form so you can still be helping your running career even though you won't actually be running! You know how to get to this point now and you'll be able to do it again. I hope you feel better soon.
asjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

I am really sorry this happened to you. I am sure you are completely discouraged right now, and I don't blame you. In terms of other physical activity to do while your foot is healing, what about a recumbent bike? It might not be possible with a walking boot, but maybe you could take it off to pedal? Otherwise, maybe swimming?

Sorry again about your injury. Hang in there!

J

Last edited by LotusMama; 05-27-2010 at 11:17 PM.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

That really sucks! It just sucks.

You'll get through it, but you just need to heal right now. You might be a little out of shape, but it won't take you any time at all to get back to where you were. Also, you may very well come back stronger and faster! I have rehabbed twice now (shattered ankle, dislocated and broken shoulder) and I can tell you that it can be motivating and empowering.

You will run that half marathon.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #5  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how discouraging it must be, but to put a little bit of silver lining back in there --

YOU RAN 10 MILES! That is amazing! You should be so proud and now that you know you CAN do it and while it may take a little work to get back there... you know you have it in you.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #6  
fra

S/C/G: 231/xx/150 [105/xx/68 kg]

Height: 6' [183 cm]

I'm so sorry for you... well if you can't stay on your feet you're gonna have to work on floor gymnastics as much as you can (you can work core and legs and arms from there, also your back!), and if you want cardio you can do some sittingdown-boxing.
fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #7  
bridesmaid on the right

S/C/G: 195/ticker/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Hi - I just read this and to be very honest - I'm still super out of shape myself and have no very useful tips on the exercise/fitness end of things. But I did want to give you a and say that I'll be thinking of you. Hopes for a speedy recovery and I'm sure you'll get back to where you were in no time with your determination. (Also, maybe journaling or some other cathartic activity would be helpful while you're on the mend?)
seafoamgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #8  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Oh god, I"m training for a half too. I'd be devastated.

Swimming's a good option, if possible. Shadow boxing is also great for getting your heart rate up. Can you do mostly upper body exercises? Like push ups or something? (I do push ups on one leg for difficulty...but it's not that much more difficult. You could do them on your good foot.) I think in this case lots of reps of what you can do and consistency will be key.

*huuugs*. I'm sorry. I'd be crying for hours too. It'll get better though. Let your body heal (it obviously needs it) and just do the best you can. Google some exercises that'll jack up your heart rate but only use upper body. What about assisted (or unassisted if you can do them) pull ups?

Hang in there. I'm sorry. I know how much it sucks. *huuuuuuugs*

Last edited by rockstar87; 05-29-2010 at 09:13 PM.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I'm sorry too. I posted recently about my back problems, and long story short, I can't do spin classes anymore, which made me cry in the dr.'s office! I know what you're going through, but you can get through this! :hugs:
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/171.0/132

Height: 5'6

As a runner, and with my half on June 6, I feel for you when you're out with an injury. HOWEVER, don't let this discourage you from running in the future, and use this as a learning experience to listen to your body when it's in pain.

AND, there are other exercises you can do, like yoga and pilates, and even swimming.

See this as a time to break out of your running mold and try something new, and also see this as a time to learn how to give your body the rest/time to repair itself Just because you're out for a month doesn't mean you're out forever. You need to properly heal so you can get out there and run again.
Jess7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #11  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

wow, cant believe they booted you!! The doctor must not have trusted you to stay off it Its alright, injuries happen to all us runners eventually! Use this as a recovery opportunity. I wish my doc had booted me.... i ran straight through BOTH of my stress fractures, even marathoned on one of them......The upside was that i still completed my marathon, the DOWNside is that its never completed healed
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Thank you everyone for all the support everyone - seriously. You've helped me to feel so much better

I've been doing upper body work outs. I'm thinking of switching gyms to a nicer one that has fitness classes and a pool. Specifically - water running. Never done it, but apparnetly it's great if you're foot is injured.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote