Old 06-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #1  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Default Nsv!!

So yesterday, my husband and I were traveling from WI to MI for my father's birthday and to pick up a car we're buying from my grandma who passed away recently. Because we'd be driving the car back, we decided to take the bus to Chicago and catch the train from there.

Good plan, except that our bus was an hour late because of the rush hour traffic, meaning that we missed our train to MI. There were no other trains or buses running to MI last night (we got into Chicago about 6:00 pm), so we say, okay - we'll rent a car one way and drive back. Except the rental car agency at the train station is out of cars. And no other rental car agency in downtown Chicago is open or has cars left...

So we think, "where are there always rental cars?" - the airport! So we hiked several blocks - luggage in tow - to the L train out to Midway, which took another 45 minutes. Got lost in the airport, finally found the rental car counters - only Avis has a car available (seriously? where are all the cars?) and it will cost $275 to drive it one way to MI... We take it, since we don't really have much of a choice. It's now almost 10:00 pm and we still have a 4 1/2 hour drive to go.

About a half hour into MI, we stop at a gas station for drinks. I am totally fried from all the stress, but instead of grabbing a big candy bar - like the old Sarah would have done - I grabbed a diet soda and snacked on a light granola bar I brought with me. And it wasn't like I even had to fight myself - part of me just recognized that I didn't want to take in a lot of calories before riding in a car for several hours and that eating a bunch of junk food wouldn't change the situation or make any of what had happened any better.

I'm really trying to make this whole journey about making positive, healthy choices - not necessarily losing weight - and being able to see how those thought patterns are becoming incorporated into my mindset was really exciting
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #2  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

That's great! Congrats on the NSV!
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #3  
sucker for candy corn

S/C/G: 186/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Congrats, Smisen! Every once in a while I think about how I used to eat and compare them to my current food choices, and I'm amazed and proud at how far I've come.

I had my own NSV today - I went to the Gap and fit into size 12 capris. They weren't even tight or anything. It's been about 2 years since I last fit into a 12. =)
Civakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #4  
Cause I'm worth it!!!!

S/C/G: 202/See Ticker/130

Height: 5"6

thats cool! I can't wait untill I do that! It's such a challenge right now I know it will get easier though
vouge09 is offline   Reply With Quote