Old 06-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #1  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Spinning class...

So I have done spin ONE time in the past. I was teeny tiny, in shape, and it nearly killed me.

My friend wants me to start going to early morning spin with her and I feel like this could be just the thing to motivate me and propel my weight loss off of this plateau!

SO I am curious- what do I need to KNOW about spin? What should I wear? I hate working out in public! What muscles are going to ache afterward?? Is this an inch-burner?

Any info, por favor!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #2  

Height: 4'11"

Spinning is fantastic exercise, especially if you really push yourself and keep the resistance up on your bike. Wear tighter clothing (aka NOT loose pants) on your bottom - shorts w/ spandex work well because they won't ride up on you. Some people wear biking shorts, with padding built into the butt area, but you can survive without them.

Speaking of butts (and the inner thigh area), they will probably be the sorest parts of you the next day, besides just your legs. But it is a great workout and will burn lots of calories!
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #3  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

I would also be interested as I am doing my first spinning class next week
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #4  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Check out the http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174045 thread, lower down there is some info on spinning.

Basically, spinning is the best. Don't know about it being an inch burner (I've done it for almost 2 years now and it works great when combined with diet) but it feels really good when you get into a groove (running in contrast for me is still painful, even when I'm in a groove and feeling powerful). I 100% recommend padded bike shorts, but I don't use the clip in shoes and it's just fine. As for muscle burn, you'll work your quads and your adductors, and I've found the greatest improvement in my butt (I HAVE ONE, AND IT'S ROUND AND PERKY! YAY!).

I would also recommend trying different instructors, as everyone has a different style. You can also set your own pace, which is good if you hate working out in public bc no one knows how much resistance you actually have on
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #5  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Everything forestroad said - I don't have clip shoes either, I just use my tennis shoes.

To be honest, I haven't noticed any profound weight loss from it, but I've always been somewhat active. My issue has always been eating right, but if you're combining it with starting an exercise program and eating better, I think you'll see a huge improvement. I have noticed that my butt is tighter, though.

Oh - I would say bring a towel and a LOT of water. I go through 32 oz of water in a 50 minute class. They also recommend after the class you drink 1 oz of water for each minute of the class - so 50 minute class = 50 minutes of water. Stretching and drinking water really help in not being so terribly sore the next day.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #6  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Thanks all for sharing what spinning is. I have been looking and looking online for classes around here but i am not finding any.. Kinda has me bummed.. I would like to give it a shot if i can find a class local.
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

Some gyms (like mine) call it RPM
Old 06-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default LOVE it...

but get one of the gel seat covers, or you could wear those goofy padded shorts. Also be sure to wear some spandex that comes to mid-thigh and covers any flesh that might rub against the seat. An hour on those very poorly designed bike saddles is no joke, and your girl-parts will appreciate it if you take care of them.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #9  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Height: 5'8"

thanks for this thread i am planning to start spinning next week and had no clue i needed to be more prepared
bjeweled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #10  
There Is No Wagon

Even if you don't have time to buy all that stuff, you will make it ok in shorts and t-shirt...you should definitely go! hope you like it
Old 06-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

Ditto to foresword. My first spin class I just had on my work out pants and a t-shirt and my huge water bottle. I only bought the seat because it was on sale.

Random side note - Am I the only one who doesn't wear shorts? I don't have bike shorts, and my work out pants are slightly "flared" from Old Navy and they suit me just fine. But even in my spin class, I'm like the only one with long pants.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #12  
WorkingOut!

S/C/G: 217/180/145

Spinning is an amazing workout.

I don't wear anything special like shoes or clothes, but more than one a week makes my butt sore, so I just do the one!
diary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #13  
There Is No Wagon

There is another girl in my spin class who wears longer athletic pants. I wore plain ole shorts for the first 18 months I was in a class (2-3x/wk) and was ok; I just like the bike shorts so much better. But I also bought them because I have a road bike and cycle a lot on the weekends, for longer stretches of time. You can get them on sale at a place like sports authority and they're not really that much more expensive than regular athletic shorts. I have a pair of Canaris I really like.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

The thing I noticed in spinning is that it's VERY easy, when first starting out, to push yourself TOO hard and just run out of energy long before the end of the class. I'd actually recommend taking it easy your first time... work hard, but below the level that you know you COULD work... so you have enough strength to finish the whole workout.

My first time, I got completely burned out by halfway through the class and the rest of the time I was hardly doing anything (just praying for the class to end!).. but once I realized I needed to take it down a notch, I LOVED it.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #15  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

ok ladies! i went to the class today! i guess it was CYCLING, not spin... apparently there's a difference? so i was on the regular old stationary bikes.

i did not get the padded shorts or seat covers or anything- i just went in my 3/4 length tights and called it good. well, i think my "girl parts" (as nish says...) are bruised. holy heck that did not feel very good!

and i am pretty sure i'll have blisters on my palms- is that normal? haha

anyway it was okay and i enjoyed it enough to go back on wednesday
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote