Old 06-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #1  
MONI

S/C/G: 257/257/160

Height: 5'4''

Default Snacking SMART....

During the day at work I try to have a snack usually before lunch or before I come home, so that I don't scarf down tons at either meal. I try to snack on fruit, nuts, yougurt, hummus, etc. But these snack can often get BORING and then I find myself hitting 7-11 for candy, chips and crap.

So I wonder......What are some smart snack you ladies (and men if we acutally have any here...) enjoy? Care to share the how to?

Last edited by Moni28; 06-10-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Moni28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #2  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

I have been snacking on chips. I weigh out 100 calories worth of Tostito's baked scoops, then a wedge of light laughing cow cheese to go with them. It's about 122 cal. I know it's not the *healthiest* snack ever, but it's yummy and keeps me from binging on doritos, and i feel like it's a decent portion for a snack.

Also raw jicama sticks are yummy too! I also adore eating raw red, yellow and orange bell peppers.

Also I make a salad taco, lol. I have these corn tortillas that are 70 cal each. I warm the tortilla in the microwave, smear it with a light laughing cow cheese wedge, then fill it with fresh spinach, alfalfa sprouts and cucumbers!! I know that sounds ridiculous but it's only 100 calories and it hits the spot for me. If you don't like laughing cow cheese you can use refried beans, the low fat canned refried beans I use are only 17 calories a tablespoon, so sometimes i'll use those instead of the cheese (or both if i have some extra calories that day.)

If I want something sweet, though, I peel and cut up an apple, sprinkle with cinnamon, dump vanilla yogurt and sprinkle some granola over it. Makes me feel like I'm eating apple pie and ice cream... but... much healthier.
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 AM   #3  
Looking for a waist!

S/C/G: 263/248/163

Height: 5'9"

I love Laughing Cow cheeeeeese! 35 calories and but deceptively indulgent.
The other day I had it with cucumber slices and it was awesome. Plus, I've heard cucumbers are diuretics, so it also helps do away with some bloating.

I've found that Laughing Cow cheese is cheapest in my area at Trader Joe's, unless you have an awesome coupon to double at a major grocery store.
elle w 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:25 AM   #4  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I've found that Laughing Cow cheese is cheapest in my area at Trader Joe's, unless you have an awesome coupon to double at a major grocery store.
I've found it's cheapest at costco here.... I get 4 wheels for the price of 1 at a regular grocery. go figure. :-)
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Height: 5'6"

Chips are my weak point. Especially potato chips.

To indulge in my chip habit, I have a few alternatives. I like the 100 calorie baked Cheetos packets. If we're talking potato chips, there are a few different baked varieties, but I have found the best tasting one to be the Kettle Baked brand. The regular sized bag has 4 servings and comes in many flavors. They also make a 100 calorie sized bag sold individually, but it only comes in original and I have only seen this when I was on a trip in Seattle. But these healthier chip options are usually not found at 7-Eleven, so you have to buy them ahead of time and keep them on hand for when those cravings hit.
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 AM   #6  
Looking for a waist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
I've found it's cheapest at costco here.... I get 4 wheels for the price of 1 at a regular grocery. go figure. :-)
WOW--I totally forgot about Costco. Since it's just me and my man, we don't even look at the Costco food, we shop for everything else. Thanks for pointing that out. I am definitely going there this weekend to stock up!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #7  
I am the lorax.

S/C/G: 215/193/160

Height: 5'8"

I eat a snack 3 times a day, I eat them 2 hours before I eat a meal... this keeps my metabolism going and makes me hungry when it hits the 2 hour mark.

I usually eat: sliced apples and natural peanut butter
yogurt and a banana
a hand full of almonds or cashews with a glass of soymilk
a slice of turkey wraped over a slice of cheese
90 calorie special k bars (help indulge the sweet tooth)
cottage cheese with fruit
baby carrots and hummus
moralitylikeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #8  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I keep a lot of vegetables with me at work. I have cut up cucumbers, green beans, grape tomatoes and sugar snap peas. They're all 0 points for you WW gal's and they're pretty filling.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #9  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

i'm a sucker for 100 calorie packs. i recently found chocolate covered pretzels in 100 calorie packs which are fabulous. they're just the right amount to fulfill my chocolate cravings
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #10  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Cut up celery with Wishbone's Balasamic Breeze sprayed on it. Pretty much any veggie would work. Tasty and I can have a lot without a lot of calories (I'm a total volume eater; I want fullness! )

I also bought an air popper for popcorn that works great. I can have a few cups and they are tasty! I spray a little cooking spray stuff on them and then experiment with toppings. There are some dried herbs that are really good on popcorn!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #11  
Ray of Sunshine

S/C/G: 243/241/140

Height: 5'4"

I have snacks mid morning, mid afternoon and on my train home from work.
These days I've been having cottage cheese & strawberries (low fat no salt added cottage cheese), light string cheese, yogurt, nuts (i make my own trail mix with big bags of nuts from trader joes with almonds, peanuts, cashews and dried cranberries all with no added salt) I usually put 1/4 a cup in a baggie and keep it in my bag through out the day as a back up... never know when I'm going to get stuck somewhere!

Regular time for me to get home from work is 7pm and then I either go directly for a run or to a 90 minute yoga class so dinner is always later so I keep it light and try to have something with a bit more calories than a normal 'snack' on my train ride home or at the office before I leave if I have an event. These days I've been having a whole wheat tortilla with 1tbsp of light veggie cream cheese and sliced low salt turkey. Just roll it up then cut it into small pieces. Also, can't go wrong with veggies!
YogaGal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #12  
MONI

S/C/G: 257/257/160

Height: 5'4''

all these snacks sound yummy! I forget about the 100 cal pack stuff. I'll have to hit up my costco!! Thanks ladies!
Moni28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:03 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/189/170

Height: 6'0"

laughing cow is a godsend!!! I'm personally a lover of nonfat greek yogurt... it's so thick, and really fills me up! try adding some flaxseed (about 70 calories for 2 tablespoons, and REALLY healthy) two give it some weight and keep you full. lots of protein and omega 3s!
bluebird19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:15 AM   #14  
Looking for a waist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird19 View Post
laughing cow is a godsend!!! I'm personally a lover of nonfat greek yogurt... it's so thick, and really fills me up! try adding some flaxseed (about 70 calories for 2 tablespoons, and REALLY healthy) two give it some weight and keep you full. lots of protein and omega 3s!
I bought some of that Fage stuff everyone raves about but have been afraid to try it. Thanks to your post, I will have it for breakfast with my blueberry flaxseed from Trader Joe's! Thank you