Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

It's so good to hear how motivated you are to get rid of the extra weight NOW!! I just want to echo what others are saying and nip it in the bud at 25lbs over!! I waited until over 100lbs overweight to do anything!!! You can do this!!
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 160/163/120

Height: 5'2"

It's good that you're doing a class with pilates. I've had chronic back problems since I was 16 when I pulled my back. I saw an orthopedist, but after taking an x-ray, he just gave me pain killers and recommended physiotherapy. I did physio for a while and it helped a little but I finally decided to see a chiropractor and it was almost like an instant fix.

I've been seeing a chiropractor regularly since then, but I started taking a pilates class 2 years ago and it has seriously helped with my back pain by strengthening my core muscles. I rarely go to the chiropractor now.

But if you're just starting out with pilates, I would recommend you go somewhere where you can get some one-on-one help at first because it's so easy to hurt your back if you do an exercise incorrectly (if you're following a video or in a large class).
ruby5839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:58 AM   #18  

I am back from my first year of college.
I gained about 10 pounds but i could afford to loose 0 pounds.
I wanted to go back a new person but it doesnt look like its going to happen seeing I have less then 2 months home but i think thats okay. if i start at home and get a routine going i think i can do it. i am only 5 feet and weight 183 pounds. i have always been athletic and rather muscular but i have definitly seen my muscles getting smaller. it makes me sad i dont play a team sport anymore as i did in high school but maybe all the support here can help.
rachygreeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:16 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Just finished college, but boy do I know where you're coming from! My first 2 years I ate so poorly and did so little, I gained about 20/year, and my back suffered accordingly. Sometime after, I still didn't eat as well as I should have, but I went to the gym a lot and walked at least 3 miles a day, sometimes jogged, and got down to my lowest weight.

It's important to make sure you don't screw up your back further though, it really sucks to feel like just moving around a bit is enough to cause you back pain.

Then I got sick and was put on prednisone, and the combination helped me gain it all back. I think the main thing is to remember that you probably don't need as much pizza/whatever (a big problem for me! the local place was delicious...) and to find a way to work in exercise. For me, it was walking, because I was stressed out and it calmed me down in the evenings and allowed me some "me time" to think things over.

I remember my aunt telling me about the freshman 15 and thinking it was a joke, I was so athletic in high school, on the cross country team etc. that I thought I couldn't possibly gain weight in college. Boy was I wrong! Between stress and more access to fatty, high calorie foods, you really need to pay attention.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

I agree that you really DO need to pay attention, but I also think people should try to make the Freshmen 15 sound absolutely inevitable. Yes, if you don't watch what yiou eat and start pigging out too much now that no one is around to tell you no, you WILL gain weight. But if you already have a reasonable attitude about food and don't go crazy when you get to college, there is absolutely no reason the Freshmen 15 HAS to be unavoidable. I think it's all about AWARENESS.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote