Old 05-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/147/130

Height: 5'4

Default I need more time. How do you all balance?

So, I'm in that time of year that makes me want to kill myself.
FINALS WEEK.
does college suck or does college suck?
I'm really stressing out. I have a final every day for this week. I find myself wanting to exercise rather than study in the time that I could be/should be studying!!! and then I exercise and sweat and shower and then there's only like an hour of the day left for studying and I can't focus. I don't know what to do. It's like in order to study I have to put my exercise aside? but I don't want to do that also. I've never been good at multi-tasking and this is just driving me bonkers. I know the finals will be over in a week so I can work out like a fiend after! but still...I feel like if I put the exercise off for a week, I'll end up gaining or something and fall out of routine. UGHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how do you guys balance? I know we all have busy lives. I'm just freaking out especially cause I don't think I'll do so super on my finals.
beautifulmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Well, when I was in college, I used to use working out as my de-stressing. I have an anxiety disorder, so I need time every day to just relax. During finals week, when this time was difficult to come by, I just switched from driving certain places to walking. I got some exercise and I got to enjoy the nice weather (and the lovely pollen that MD is known for). I would also go swimming after I had finished a final. My brain never worked well with studystudystudy - take a test - studystudystudy. I always needed that little break in there.

And if you can't balance, you can't balance - its only a week! Just focus maybe on eating well, and exercise when you can or on a study break.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I admit around finals this semester I didn't cope. My real problem was that I stretched it out too long. The only really good thing is that my grades were fantastic. Next year I need to work on good grades, plus workout time.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 227/225/147

Height: 5'7"

Just a sugestion I am not sure it would work for you but, I would ready out my study notes and put it on my ipod then listen to it while I was working out that worked for me maybe it will work for you?
Vivify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 227/225/147

Height: 5'7"

Just a sugestion I am not sure it would work for you but, I would read out my study notes and put it on my ipod then listen to it while I was working out that worked for me maybe it will work for you?
Vivify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #6  

I don't think this particular week is about balance for you. All your time, effort and energy should be focused on studying for your finals. For this week ONLY, exercise isn't that important- especially since you may be using it as an excuse to not have to study. I know by the end of the semester you're burned out on school. I remember that well, but this is the week where you get to sprint to the finish line scholastically.

If you are THAT motivated to exercise, use it as a reward rather than a way to avoid the task you most need to be doing. AFTER you study, you can do x,y,z- you know? I am also a procrastinator so I am not saying this as a judgemental thing but rather as someone who has done the exact same thing.

The biggest mistake I made getting my 'education' is that I focused more on getting the degree and shortchanged myself on the education part. I did what I had to do to pull excellent grades but didn't absorb the information and LEARN as much as I could have. Those things would have made me a better professional. My education is not as good as my grades indicate and it's all my fault. Study for finals and focus on really knowing the material rather than just regurgitating it- don't have the same regret I do.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I have to agree- finals are important- put it off for a week OR think of it as if you finish studying THEN you can reward yourself with a workout.

Is there any way you can read your notes and walk on a treadmill or something?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote