Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #1  

Default Hungry Girl

Ok, so I know I'm COMPLETELY late finding out about the Hungry Girl website, but oh my gosh! I just spent the last hour surfing through that site, and it's incredible! The foods on there look de-lish!

I passed by the new Hungry Girl 200 Under 200 book at WalMart the other day, which sparked my interest to actually go to the website. I really think I may buy the new cookbook now! LoL

Has anyone else bought it yet? Or would it be a waste of money since there are so many recipes online?
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 AM   #2  

hehe, it's fun, huh?? i bought what i guess is the first hungry girl cookbook and it's been nice to have around. though to be honest i don't follow recipes very often, so haven't used it too much.

i do get the email newsletter everyday and glance over it, and i DEF learn lots from hungry girl. esp product stuff (even if they're $promoing, it's still good info!) like... unsweetened vanilla almond breeze, tofu shirataki noodles, etc..

i say pick up the cookbook! youve inspired me to look at mine again.
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

I have the cookbook and love it. But without a food processor to grind up Fiber One cereal into breadcrumbs, may of the dishes could be complicated. I ground up a whole box of cereal at once and I store it in an airtight container and it's amazing.

So far I've tried their french toast, apple tartlets, mozzarella sticks, and cheesecake and all have been amazing. Next week I am trying cheesecake swirl brownies or key lime pie, I haven't decided yet. But for a dessert you can bring to a friend's house or party, the coffee cake has been a winner. (The tarts get soggy after a day or so, but that didn't stop me from enjoying them mushy).
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/148/136

Height: 5'7"

Their mozzarella sticks are so good! I can't get anyone to try them with me after I tell them that you basically coat mozzarella string cheese in ground up Fiber One cereal, but they really are good!

I have both cookbooks and the recipes are fun to try--I'd say only about half of them end up being something I would try again, but that isn't bad for me when it comes to healthy cookbooks. They have a really good chocolate cherry muffin recipe, too!
bronte155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

as with any cookbook you are not going to use all the recipies. I bought the book and have loved the recipes i have tried. I also get the emails and love the additional recipes shared. I passed on the berry margarita recipe yesterday to my sister and she said it was a big hit at her cinco De Mayo party.
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #6  
I will do this.

I do love those foods but you gotta beware! A lot of the foods are highly processed and high in sodium. The last few e-mails I have received from the site seem to address this matter - so hopefully they will focus on being more natural, too!
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have both her books and love them, BUT I never cook from them. I just enjoy reading them. In the beginning I tried to cook from them but found so many of them to use lots of pre-packaged food. I mean who wants a meatloaf made with processed cheese for dinner?? I found a lot of other books like Eat, Shrink and Be Merry contain more healthy dishes and are pretty easy to make too.

Hungry Girl does have some great ideas - like mix cake mix and yogurt microwave for 1 minute and you have a quick, easy, small cake. I enjoy it for that sort of stuff but fine most of her meals unpractical.

Also, the books are cheap - but you can find ALL the recipes online. Even though I own both books I often find myself going to http://book.hungry-girl.com/books - looking all the pictures and then googling the recipe name. 99% of the time I can find it. I think for snacks and sweets the recipes are awesome. Maybe if I were single I would enjoy the book more...

Also, for those saying they don't have a food processor... I got a little one at wal mart for $6 - it is awesome.

Last edited by sotypical; 05-06-2009 at 12:44 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #8  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I just use her emails/website, haven't gone out to buy the book yet, but I agree, it is AMAZING.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #9  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i'm so glad i logged in today, i didnt even know she had a new book. whoo hooo, off to walmart i go.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

also check out cook yourself thin from Lifetime TV . it is a show about cooking your favorite foods in a healthy way.
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

My biggest issue with her is the reliance on Splenda. It doesn't work for us artificial-sweetener-phobes.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #12  
-.-K!M-.-

S/C/G: 258/253.4/145

Height: 5'4"

I've never been so I'm hopping of to check it out! Thanks!
ShutterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #13  
Brighter than the moon!

Does anyone know where to get those shirataki noodles? I couldn't find them at Trader Joe's.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #14  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I like reading the site sometines, but most of the recipes make the little fat chef in me cry. I feel like most of them take a working, existing recipe and replace everything with the lowest possible calorie version of it. For example, look at the pumpkin pie recipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Girl
For Crust
2 cups Fiber One bran cereal (original)
1/4 cup light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
3 tbsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
1 tsp. cinnamon

For Filling
One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling!)
One 12-oz. can evaporated fat-free milk
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
3/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
1/4 cup sugar-free pancake syrup
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
Let's compare this to Libby's recipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby's
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 (15 ounce) can libby 100% pumpkin puree
1 (12 ounce) can Carnation Evaporated Milk
1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry
Faux eggs, faux sugar, faux butter, water, cereal, and fat free evaporated milk instead of real pie ingredients? Brilliant! Delicious!

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 05-07-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #15  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksrm View Post
I have the cookbook and love it. But without a food processor to grind up Fiber One cereal into breadcrumbs, may of the dishes could be complicated. I ground up a whole box of cereal at once and I store it in an airtight container and it's amazing.

So far I've tried their french toast, apple tartlets, mozzarella sticks, and cheesecake and all have been amazing. Next week I am trying cheesecake swirl brownies or key lime pie, I haven't decided yet. But for a dessert you can bring to a friend's house or party, the coffee cake has been a winner. (The tarts get soggy after a day or so, but that didn't stop me from enjoying them mushy).
which fiber one cereal is it? they have like 10948230948 kinds... and that's a great idea... to do it all at once, then you don't have to worry about taking out the food processor whenever you want to eat something
sxulcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote