Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #1  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Default OT: Biggest pet peeve! Ugh!!

I -hate- when people screen their calls!!! Okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, who DOESN'T first look at caller ID these days - but every.single.time I try and call my sister it rings 20 times, goes to voice mail, and only AFTER you say what you're calling about will they either pick up, or call you back. It is SO.FREAKING.FRUSTRATING!!!!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is VERY inconsiderate?! Maybe it would be better if it went STRAIGHT to voicemail -but if I have a quick question, or if it's an emergency I do not have the patience to wait out 20 f**** rings to talk to an effing machine!!!!!!! RUAGHUEHDKAFDS!!!! Also! She has call waiting, so if they ARE on the phone It RINGS and RINGS and RINGS and she NEVER clicks over to the other line to answer!!!! And it's not just because it's me calling - I've called from her best friend's apartment, from my dad's house, from her husbands cell phone and her stinking husband does it too.

I keep telling myself "Fine. I just WON'T call them - for any reason" but then soooomething comes along, of course, and I need to get ahold of them. But - every single time without fail - I wait and wait and wait just to talk to a @#[email protected]#_%@#$ MACHINE! UGHGHGHGHGH!!!!

GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Hmm, I don't see the point of having so many rings before voicemail. But I personally hate call-waiting. First come first serve

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-03-2009 at 03:23 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #3  

Height: 5'11"

Same here, Julie. (40-something crashing the thread!). If I'm on the phone with someone, I never click over when I hear the call waiting beep because I hate it when people put ME on hold. So I'm guessing that my phone rings and rings under that circumstance, but otherwise the machine gets it after 4 rings.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I sometimes screen because I know there are only a couple of people who call me and one of them is very dramatic ALL THE TIME. I don't have caller ID though.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

I'm with Julie on HATING call waiting. There is nothing more annoying.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/239/140

Height: 5'4"

Hmm, my phone service call waiting has an option to send directly to voicemail if I'm on the phone, no ringgggringgggringggg for the person trying to call in. I like that feature.
Betony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

Haha, if I'm talking with someone on the phone and they say "Hold on, other line", I wait maybe 30 seconds, if they haven't came back yet I hang up. It's rude.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Haha everytime, without fail, when I switch over to the other person calling my phone drops the first person, quite annoying!
My sister screens her calls like that too, what is the point of a cell phone if you don't ever answer it??
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #9  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

It's not the not-answering call waiting that kills me. It's that if she's on the phone and not answering call waiting either - it never connects to the answering machine. So yet again, I'm stuck wasting my time calling her back to talk to the @#[email protected]#$ machine. Every. Single. Time.

No matter who calls them. (I lived with them last summer, and it's just their "telephone protocol")

Well I think it's snobby as ****.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #10  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

i must admit that i screen my calls. and as far as call waiting, it doesn't show up on my caller id so i don't answer it. but i always answer my cell phone. a lot of the reason was that i was avoiding bill collectors, but i got all that straightened out so.......also i was a bit depressed and didn't want to talk to anyone. but now i always answer.
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #11  
rainy

Well, if it is an emergency you'd more likely call 911 or the emergency number in your country than your sister.
I screen my calls as I've had too many nasty ones not to, but most of the time I just keep my mobile off and call back the people I want to call back, the others nope. Yes, I understand it's unpolite but it keeps me sane!!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #12  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Ooooh, it's so funny that you would post about this just now, because I am having the exact same problem with one of my friends for the past couple days! He goes to a nearby school, and I *thought* that he and I had been planning for me to come visit and go out with him tonight, but I have been calling and texting him since like 4-5 PM yesterday, trying to solidify the plans, and he has not responded to a single one of my attempts! That is just SO irritating to me--and such a completely inconsiderate and just RUDE thing to do! Especially since this friend is notorious for using this as a tactic of breaking plans with people: if he changes his mind and doesn't want to hang out with you after all, instead of having the b*lls to actually TELL you, he just completely ignores you. I find that so childish! I'm like, Um, no, you're not actually going to be able to convince me that you just "didn't get" all of my 3426 messages! Grrrr...
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #13  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I have call waiting and caller ID. Most of the time I will tell the person who is calling I will call them right back...and I do!!! There only a few reasons I would tell the person I am talking to that I need to call them back....for instance, if it's one of my kids or someone that I have been waiting to call me back on something important. I don't think that's rude and no one has ever said to me that they think it is...it works for me!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #14  

I screen my calls. All the time. If I'm expecting a call from someone, I'll pick up. If I'm not, I'll let it go to voicemail. And it usually rings 4 or 5 times before going to voicemail. If it's urgent, I'll call back or text. More often than not, it's a friend who has nothing better to do than complain about her new husband or whatever. I don't think it's rude at all.

For me, the point of having a cell phone is mostly for emergency. Like my car stopping in the middle of the road. Or what to pick up from the grocery store. Or other important calls where someone has to reach me. Stuff like that.

I have call waiting but I've never used it. I know I don't want to be put on hold. So I wouldn't put someone on hold, either.
AmberShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I use skype as our primary phone service. My husband also has a refillable cell phone (TracPhone). No monthly fee, just the minutes you buy in advance. We don't keep a lot of minutes on it, because we only use it for trips and emergencies.

We can (and probably eventually will) buy a phone that plugs into our computer, which would allow the phone to ring normally. For now we use our computer and headset, but it means that if we're not a foot from the computer when someone is calling us, we're not going to hear the ring. So, in essence we screen all our calls, as we check our phone messages only about twice daily.

We originally went with skype because it is extremely affordable (our yearly bill is smaller than our old monthly bills for a land line). We pay less than $100for an entire year of phone service, and skype-user to skype-user calls are free.

Our families hate it, because they can almost never reach us immediately, they always have to wait until we call them back. My husband's father complains that the sound quality is poor (most other people can't detect that we're not on a land line or at least a cell phone. Occasionally there are sound quality issues, but nothing a call back hasn't fixed). He even asked his parents (my hubby's grandparents) to complain about the sound quality so that we would go back to a land line (they admitted that the sound quality was fine for them, hubby's dad needs a hearing aid, and in fact has one, but refuses to use it).

Both of our families have said "what if there's an emergency," and hubby replies "call 911, we can't help you in an emergency."

We tell family that if they aren't happy with our phone, we'll glady get a land line - if they care to pay for it, and we still can't guarantee that we will be at their beck and call 24/7. So far, none have taken us up on the offer.

I think the cell phone boon, has created an expectation to reach people 24/7, and it results in frustration because of those expectations. I don't think it's snobbery to screen phone calls, it's good sense. Once we went to skype and had to deal with phone calls only twice a day, we realized how many of the calls we received were completely useless. Telemarketing calls (even with an "unlisted" number) make up the largest majority, and most of the calls even from friends and family were not "urgent," and could have as easily been dealt with in email (though also not an instant-gratification event).

If you're not happy with a person's response time, then discuss it with them, but I don't think anyone owes even close family and friends, the obligation of immediate availability.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-02-2009 at 02:50 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote