Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 AM   #1  

Height: 5,1"

Default Running has hurt me!

Hey everyone! Just a quick question for you...
I joined the gym yesterday and went on the treadmill for 25 mins, alternating between walking and running for 2 mins at a time. But in bed last night my chest was killing me! it was right down the middle where your ribs join... I have a pretty big chest but I was wearing a good sports bra so dont know how i could have pulled a muscle or anything. And it only hurts when I lie down, especially when I breath in. Does anyone have any idea what it could be??
xx
CatRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 199/181/140

Height: 5'8

I have a great sports bra too, but I still get sore when I'm running or jumping (like in a workout video). This happened to me the other day. It felt like I was having a heart attack, but I knew it wasn't that. It's a horrible pain, but it went away the next day. I was also doing push-ups, so I may have overdone it w/ that too. I think if you have a bigger chest it's just something that happens..reguardless of the bra. Maye duct tape would be a good option....hee hee
butterfly120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Common problem

Especially for new runners. You're breathing backwards, and you need to learn to stop heaving with your chest, and instead breathe by expanding your diaphragm (the muscle right below your lungs and ribs). Breathing backwards heavily for any extended period at an increased rate will make you feel like your chest is going to pop. People with bad posture tend to have this problem most often, so you also need to work on standing, sitting, and walking with your back straight and your head up if this is an issue.

Watch how you breathe. When a lot of people hyperventilate (the same breathing pattern is simulated when running for a lot of new runners, even if they don't do it when relaxing), they can't get the breath in because when they breathe in, they depress their stomach, and raise the chest. When breathing out, they relax their stomach and lower the chest. This causes your lungs to be constricted when you're trying to draw in air. Practice breathing in and feeling it all the way into your stomach, because it should pooch out from filling with air. If you're doing it right, you can test by placing your hands around your natural waist and take in a big breath. Your fingers and thumb should move further apart and your back should also expand with your stomach as you breathe in.

To make this a habit when running, breathe in through your nose, and out of your mouth on rhythm with your pace. I usually breathe in for 3 steps, and out for 3. You might get side cramps at first, (and if you are working on posture) and your back might be sore, but they will go away as your lungs get stronger and are able to take in more air and your posture improves. You will also notice increased endurance and overall better calorie burn because you're providing your body with enough oxygen to be efficient.

Last edited by NishKitten; 04-27-2009 at 08:33 AM.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I was getting the side cramps. I started consistently being mindful of my breathing pattern right from the start of my run. Yes, in through the nose and out through the mouth. One of the articles I read suggested actually pursing your lips upon exhale--it supposedly is a guarantee against side stitch because of the way it forces air to leave your body. I dunno but I can say I haven't had one since I started doing it.

Okay, now to your pain thing. I know exactly the feeling you mean. For me, my ribs feel like they are pushing out--very odd sensation almost like I had when I was prego. Just push through it as best you can. You won't have it the majority of days.--at least I don't. It was worse in the beginning when I started running for certain.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #5  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

I had the same problem when i started running.. or trying to run..lol at that time i was 250 pounds i joined the gym and had a trainner.. I would run for 30 second and then walk and then try and run for a minute and then walk. i knew it was going to hurt but after getting down to 240 and being able to run a mile in 9mins. it still killed my chest. i went to the doctors and they send me for test and i ended up having a MVP a micro valve prolaps.. a hole in my heart valve and that is what was causing my chest pain..

If it keeps up for a very long time i would check in with your doctor..just to be on the safe side..

Keep up the great work and good for you for exercising!!!
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote