3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Large Thighs?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/169957-large-thighs.html)

bodyisatemple 04-23-2009 04:46 PM

Large Thighs??

This is the one part of my body that I am worried will never change. They're about 23 inches on 5'2 frame. It's the one part of my body people ALWAYS comment on. I am known as the girl with the super thick thighs. Now, I know some people think they're sexy (that's fine), but I want them to be SMALLER!! They are very muscular, so I'm worried they will stay almost the same size even when I lose weight.

Has anyone had any experience with shrinking their thighs?
Thanks,
Annie

SavingServo 04-23-2009 04:53 PM

I have big thighs too. They shrank as I lost weight, but they're still about the same in relation to the rest of me. They are less glaringly obvious I feel like now that just everything is smaller. But everyone is different. I'm also very apple shaped, if you're a pear you might be totally different.

prepping 04-23-2009 05:17 PM

I carry a lot of weight in my thighs too, always have. They certainly do get smaller as the weight comes off but it's generally the last thing to show improvement. I'll have a tiny waist, no belly, and trim arms but my legs and bum won't change at all until everything has come off everywhere else.

I'm actually hoping that by doing more strength workouts with my lower body (lunges, squats, etc) that it'll come off a little easier or at least be less jiggly.

I'll for sure give an update if/when it works! :D

bodyisatemple 04-23-2009 05:18 PM

Hi Colleen,
I think I'm apple shaped as well, although I never really understood the shapes too well. You're pretty much at my goal weight now. Hmm.... I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that they will always be bigger than most girls. I'm just hoping to be able to wear shorts one day.

Do you mind me asking you how long it took for you to lose the weight and what you did?

Thanks,
Annie

nbrown7384 04-23-2009 06:43 PM

another big-thigher checking in... I haven't ever lost enough weight to tell the difference in my thigh, but I'm hoping I might this time around... who knows. I always have a horrible time finding pants and shorts that fit both my thighs and my waist and that I feel comfortable in, having big thighs sucks!

I'm def. a pear shape, not an apple.
here's a descrption I found about the pear shape:

Pear shaped generally describes women who store fat below the waistline on their hips, thighs, and bottoms, as opposed to their stomachs and mid-sections. Such fat being stored on the thighs often leads to cellulite. Commonly the upper torso is relatively slim in comparison to these lower parts of the body, with shoulders and bust being narrow compared to the hips. Pear shaped women are commonly viewed as 'bottom heavy' with well defined waists.

To see whether you are pear shaped, obtain your 'hip-waist ratio' (also known as 'trunk fatness') ~ divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement; if the ratio is 0.8 or below then you are pear shaped.

My ratio is 1.61 or 1.41 depending on if I use a true hip measurement or at the widest part of my thighs, with the widest part of my thighs being bigger.

I hear running is supposed to be good for reshaping legs, bodyisatemple are you running at all?

bodyisatemple 04-23-2009 09:31 PM

nbrown,

I used to be a runner, but I actually stopped because I felt like it was just making my thighs more muscular and more noticeable. Maybe I was wrong in that thinking.

I still haven't gone home yet to do measurements, but I'll post those later. I think I'm more of an apple. Even though my thighs are large, they're more muscular and my hips are not that big at all. I think that's what makes them stand out more. I have a very thick waist - that's where all my fat goes it.

Personally, I love pear shapes and would love to be one. I've always said it doesn't matter how big your bun is, if you have a nice defined waist.

jahjah1223 04-23-2009 09:56 PM

Mine went from 28 to 22 and a half! so theres hope! lol

bodyisatemple 04-23-2009 11:00 PM

An ja, your legs look sexy in that pic! I'll take 22.5! What kind of workouts do you do?

jahjah1223 04-23-2009 11:55 PM

None right now :(

But i did the 30 day shred and lots of running! the the stair master grrr!

bodyisatemple 04-24-2009 01:15 AM

Hmm. What's the 30 day shred???

Thighs Be Gone 04-24-2009 01:28 AM

Thighs be gone checking in here--

My thighs are the LAST FRONTIER on my body--they are 21" now...I don't know what they were when I started but much larger for certain..I have no problem fitting into a 4 now even with these gargantuan thighs. They DO go down--just slowly!

joyra 04-24-2009 01:36 AM

23 in thighs? Wow, I'm jealous! I weigh about your weight, but I'm 2 inches shorter.

My thighs & butt are my biggest part of my body. I started at 27.75 inches and I'm down to just under 26 inches after losing about 15 lbs. My current goal is 23.5 because that will be a size 10.

My thigh measurement puts me at a size 16-18. My waist measurement puts me at a size 8. I really wish I was one size up and down!

I really don't think 23 inch thighs are that big. Consequently, maybe exercise IS making them larger/more muscular. Everything I've read about reducing your thighs is all squats, lunges, stairclimbing, etc. PLUS overall weight loss. You can't really spot reduce but you can lose overall fat and tone the muscle which will give your thighs a more flattering shape.

And certain things can really be the last thing to go.. I've lost 4-5 inches from my waist/gut but only about 2-2.5 inches from my thighs/hips. SO I think it actually makes my bottom half look bigger. When I was 125 lbs, I was still wearing size 10 pants but XS shirts.

LandonsBaby 04-24-2009 02:27 AM

I guess I'm silly. I think 23 inches is just fine. Mine are currently a little over 27 inches. I don't expect them to ever be small. Ever. And I'm only 4'9". I'm sorry you don't like your legs.

bjeweled 04-24-2009 03:10 AM

hi my name is brie...and i have large thighs.

ive never had a problem with how they look...its more that they are the only part of my body that makes me look overweight. they are big and full of cellulite lol. when i began in dec. they were 28 inches a piece. i havent measured in a while but have began running. i can say they look smaller to me. and i just hope that when this is all over they continue to go down.

its weird because if my thighs were smaller i would just need to tone. i am definitely a pear but my butt although nothing to laugh at is not as big proportionally as my thighs.

rainy 04-24-2009 06:54 AM

I have large tighs too, mine were 29 and are now 27.
Despite all the good workout I do, I seem to loose much mroe easily on other places, like my waist and tighs are harder, but see, they lost too, so I guess in the long run it'll go ok!

TamiL 04-24-2009 09:46 AM

Its actually kind of funny the way we all see ourselves. I think my thighs are huge so I measured them with my jeans on and they are only 20.5 inches. Yet I look in the mirror and thats all I see. Will we ever be completely comfortable in our own skin?

sweetandspicy 04-24-2009 09:59 AM

• I got this information from an email from Jillian Michaels. I think it describes most womens shape. However most of the time I feel like a watermelon. Large and round...
  • The apple shape. People with apple shapes tend to store fat in their upper bodies, so if an apple is carrying extra weight, it's usually around the belly. Apples have evolved to store fat in this way to adapt to long periods of famine. Fat stored in the upper body can lead to heart disease, so it is important for apples to be health conscious.
  • The pear shape. Pears hold the majority of their fat in the lower body: hips, buttocks, saddlebags. Pears are mostly women. This shape has evolved because fat stored in these areas aids in fertility and breast-feeding. This type of fat is not as much of a health risk as abdominal fat, but it is harder to lose.
  • The proportioned shape. Lucky proportionate have fat cells distributed equally throughout their entire body. When they gain weight, they gain it everywhere. When they lose weight, it comes off evenly.

TJFitnessDiva 04-24-2009 10:01 AM

Oh yes...these are the only part of my body that is making me look all weird :lol: On top I look awesome but my saddle bags on my thighs are gosh darn awful. I have hope that they will at least not look quite as bad once I get to goal!

Crescendo 04-24-2009 11:54 PM

Mine are 27" ::URGH!!:: I would LOVE for them to be 20" <-- that is my IDEAL!

tkm256 04-25-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

They're about 23 inches on 5'2 frame. It's the one part of my body people ALWAYS comment on. I am known as the girl with the super thick thighs.
I'm 5'2" too, and I wish I had had 23-inch thighs when I was 152 lb. That would mean they had room to shrink. I just measured, and I have 23-inch thighs right now at 131 lb. If you're known as the girl with super-thick thighs, I must be known as the one with tree trunks for legs. I blame my parents for putting me on soccer teams for all those years.

ShutterK 04-26-2009 12:27 AM

I just want to say that I *cannot* wait to have skinny thighs. My first goal is to have them NOT TOUCH. Hopefully the exercise works.

JulieJ08 04-26-2009 12:43 AM

My thighs right now are 22.5", and I never thought they were big or out of proportion. I think it's good to know that we are all sorts of sizes and we all look different. Sometimes we think someone else looks much better than we do, and in fact their measurements may even be larger than ours.

theresia 04-26-2009 01:26 AM

Hi, my biggest problem is also my thighs.. Right now they are at 26",, And my waist is at 27" so I'm a real Pear..
So far I haven't lost any inches around my thighs, hoping to reach 23" when I'm at my goal weight..

bodyisatemple 04-26-2009 01:19 PM

Okay, I had to pull out the measuring tape. Turns out they are now 24" thighs. My waist is 36" and my hips are 39".

I think a lot of it does have to do with just how your body is shaped. My waist is not very wide (if that makes sense), so most of those inches just hang off the front. My best friend is a much taller swimmer, and although her waist is my size, it's "wider" and all muscle, so she has a pretty flat stomach.