Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Default I think I might cry!

I bought a new scale yesterday. Paid $40 so I can have one that measures body fat also. My old one was a joke! I'm 10.6 pounds more! 184.6!!!! Now Im not putting my numbers in there to figure out bf cause it has to be stored. No way in He!! am I going to leave that number in there for others to see. I'm super depressed. I went out for my bday with my mom on Thursday and my hubby took me out for lunch yesterday and then his family ordered pizza to surprise me with a little party last night so I have done nothing but eat crap! I'm crossing my fingers some of that happens to be water weight but still....10.6 pounds! I'm nasty terrible icky! How can 1 little (well, huge) number make my whole mood change?
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #2  

I guess I'll adjust my profile but I'm keepin the 7 pound loss because I at least know there was a drop this month.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #3  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

If your new scale read 10 pounds more, wouldn't that mean your old scale was 10 pounds under? So maybe you started with 10 pounds more than you thought, but have still lost the same amount of weight? The numbers are just adjusted.

So you've still lost exactly what you've thought. Or am I totally misreading this?
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #4  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

chickiegirl is right. And chances are, another scale would also show a different way. You see, they are simply measuring devices. They are measured based on how they are calibrated. Each one is calibrated differently. So add 10.6 lbs to your starting weight and go from there. You still have lost 7 lbs. But where you started was more. Try to stop stressing. I, too, am very dependent on what the scale says. However, it is just a number and you are more than that. It took me a long time to figure that out and I wasted a lot of time worrying over things like this. Don't waste your time doing that. Stay positive and this journey will be a lot easier. Good Luck!
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #5  

I understand that I've lost 7 more pounds regardless but it's just that much further from my goal. And 184...I was dying to get into the 160's this week and now that that's not even a possibility it's just depressing. And yes, I guess I should add the 10.6 to my starting weight, not just the 7 I lost huh. LOL! I wasn't thinking straight I guess.

This also means that I wasn't as low as I thought last summer. All my records are wrong. (I record everything.) I got to 163 or something and felt great. Guess I was really only about 173. (About where I thought I was now.) Wow...so much to take in.

And I know I shouldn't let my weight bother me because it's not like it's posted on my head or something but it's so frustrating!
Old 04-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You don't really know which scale was accurate. Might be neither. Find something with a defined weight and test the scale.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 370/320/190

Height: 5'7"

I'm having the same problem. My last scale went kaput during easter when I was off plan, so I got a new scale and I'm 5lbs heavier on it, so I don't know if that means I gained 5lbs or if it's just the fact that it's a new scale measuring differently.
Also, when I weighed 330lbs I went to the doctor and her scale said 308lbs, and I hadn't weighed in a while so I was ecstatic, so I got home to make sure I weighed that much on my scale and I was still 330lbs. Just goes to show how big the difference between scales can be.
Try not to dwell on it too much. I know it's frustrating, but it's also all the more reason to keep going. Have you been measuring yourself? That might be a more accurate way of keeping track for now.
Oh, and JulieJ08 - that's a great idea, I'd never thought of doing that. I'm gonna have to try it.

Last edited by fenderella5678; 04-18-2009 at 01:45 PM.
fenderella5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #8  

Yes, I measure once a month also.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #9  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I had a body fat scale, it wasn't totally accurate. I agree, put something like a 5 lb dumbbell on both scales and see what they read. Also it would help if you could step on one of those scales they have at drs offices.. I used to work in a hospital and my home scale was always a little lower than the scale at work.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #10  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I tossed my scale into the garbage bin today with a deafening pop I got on with one foot I was 2 pounds less than if I stepped on with the other. I get too mad when that happens so I have eliminated it from my life. I am going to weigh myself at the gym and only on that scale a few times a week. I think not having a scale around here will help me be less obsessive. But I have always just tried a tight pair of pants on in the past and that is truly how i measure myself. The scale can totally depress me. However, I always weigh myself first thing in the morning my trainer said it's important to weigh yourself the same time everyday
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Lynsey, you are doing beautifully on your journey. While it may be majorly disappointing to see that reading, you are doing every bit as well as you were before you bought the crazy thing. There is also the possibility that your new one is wrong.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #12  

I can't compare the old with the new because it won't even turn on anymore. I guess I'll just have to try that much harder now.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #13  
rainy

Do you fit in your pants? Are them more tight or more loose? Can you tell yourself if you are fatter or slimmer WITHOUT those three numbers on that display under your feet? How do you feel?
Sorry but honestly I don't find why you should cry for 7 pounds more or less, the scale is a tool, it's not a judge, and if it becomes a judge it's time you throw it away. That's also the reason because if willing to weight, you should do it always on the same scale, the calibration might be different.
When I still used to weight myself I used 3 different scales, I swear there weren't two that ever agreed. Ever!! Also I had two bodyfat scales, even my dietologist saw the numbers and said those weren't even possible for a human being! Hoestly, don't cry over a tool, try to listen to yourself before to get upset to what a stupid display sais.