Old 04-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #31  

whoop whoop Terry Pratchett, I just finished reading "The Wyrd Sisters" for an english class on fantasy. Also read "Tanglewreck" and "At the Mountains of Madness" this weekend...those were pretty good, and also for my fantasy lit. class. Sighhh..lots of reading, but at least they're good books.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswood87 View Post
KnitaLisa- Yeah I so know what you mean about Twilight I think I read about a book a day and I was sad for seriously like 2 weeks once I was done. I didnt want them to end lol EDIT: I just saw that you are reading Persuasion also. Do you like it? I actually read it just for fun...yeah I'm a nerd.

Anyways I'm a nerd and I'm reading the Twilight Saga....again also reading the Sookie Stackhouse series which Tru Blood is based on. Vampire thing going on?!!? I dunno

I have read and re-read the Twilight books too!! Oh, and I got my husband (27) reading them as well

I also, finished reading all the Jane Austen books awhile back...they're all SO good!

Currently, I am reading "The Proposal" By Lori Wick. It's a romance novel. Next book I want to read something more like Twilight...any suggestions??
Saramommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #33  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I'm reading the "The Omnivore's Dilemma" ... kind of dense, scientific, but super-informative... really makes you think about what you eat.

It had a section talking about how super-sizing came about. Let me just say we've all been duped into a marketing scam and we're still being pushed to eat MORE MORE MORE. They are working on a way to make food have fewer calories or that is non-digestable so that you can eat non-stop and not gain weight. That may sound like a dream, but it's all so we spend more $$$.

I read the "Slow Fat Triathlete" too. Good book, it's the kind of inspiration you need when you start making excuses for yourself.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #34  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitALisa View Post

Iconised Ghost- I freakin' love Terry Prachett! I go through these phases when I get almost obsessed Discworld and find myself dropping phrases like "I'm so mad, I'm about go Librarian-poo!" and then find my friends are looking at me strange.
haha! yeah i loved going postal and making money and the colour of magic Not loving Nation quite as much though Doesnt have the same witt about it
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick09 View Post
Actually, despite being 23 I am in the middle of the Chronicles of Narnia series. I have always loved Young Adult fiction. Before I regressed into childhood, though, I read "Life of Pi". It was incredible.
I have plans to re-read the Narnia books... I only read 1 or 2 as a kid, but a few years ago I read them all over the summer. I'm a little tempted to read them in this new order that publishers like to put them in (the order of events in the books, rather than the order they were written) but that sort of seems like blasphemy.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

I love reading. I go through periods where I devour books, and then don't read anything for a while. I think it happens when my university workload involves a lot of reading - it puts me off reading for pleasure when I've been reading a lot during the day!

At the moment I'm reading Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre. I've got a huge stack of books to get to next, and I can't decide which to read. I think I'll probably go with The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera.
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 172/148/136

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitALisa View Post
Right now, I'm in the middle of rereading Persuasion for my Jane Austen class (my favorite lit class ever).
Oh, I LOVE Persuasion! I wish it were as well known as P&P, that letter at the end makes me swoon every time. (I will say no more so as not to ruin it for those who haven't read!) Have you seen the movie version with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds? It's very good!
bronte155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

I just ordered the box set of "Twilight". I am quite excited becasue this is all I have been hearing about for the last few months.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saramommy View Post

I have read and re-read the Twilight books too!! Oh, and I got my husband (27) reading them as well

I also, finished reading all the Jane Austen books awhile back...they're all SO good!

Currently, I am reading "The Proposal" By Lori Wick. It's a romance novel. Next book I want to read something more like Twilight...any suggestions??

I wish I could find another book similar to Twilight but I haven't really found anything close. Like I said the show Tru Blood is based on the sookie stackhouse books by.....I'll have to go look up the authors name but anyways it's another vampire romance just more adult I guess. I don't think it's nearly as good but it's entertaining enough.

Which Jane Austen book is your favorite? I want to read another one but I'm not sure which one to pick next.

Last edited by kswood87; 04-15-2009 at 12:39 PM.
kswood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #40  

I don't know. Right now I haven't found a book which has really gotten me into it. Sad thing is I work at Barnes and Noble so I should find something but I haven't and I have too many books to buy a new one. The last book I read was the Time Traveler's wife which I loved.

I could use suggestions ladies? I've already read twilight multiple times. They're addicting.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 228/158/148

Height: 5'6"

I haven't read for pleasure in a very long time. Because I was home sick Monday and Tuesday, I knocked out the first two books of the Twilight saga. I'll get the next 2 on Friday and hope to have them read over the weekend. Not sure what I will move on to after that.
mojolove05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #42  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 159.8/149.0/130

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Ewww you should read Every Breath You Take, it's a true story about a woman who married this psycho dude, divorced him and he goes crazy nuts and kills her! It's insane, I'm infatuated with Gangland on the History Chanel right now, i love mob stories...
DanSinDeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #43  
One day at a time...

The Power of a Praying Wife and The Soloist.
April_Showers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswood87 View Post
I wish I could find another book similar to Twilight but I haven't really found anything close. Like I said the show Tru Blood is based on the sookie stackhouse books by.....I'll have to go look up the authors name but anyways it's another vampire romance just more adult I guess. I don't think it's nearly as good but it's entertaining enough.

Which Jane Austen book is your favorite? I want to read another one but I'm not sure which one to pick next.
Have you read "Pride and Prejudice"?? The movie is good...but the book is so much better!! "Since and Sensibility" is good too. Actually they're all good. You should read them all.

Thanks, for the reading suggestions...I'm going to check them out!

Edit:
I just looked into the books "Southern Vampire Mysteries" they look awesome...I just ordered the first one off of Amazon The show looks very entertaining as well. I'm going to rent the first season as soon as it's available THANKS Kswood87!!!

Last edited by Saramommy; 04-15-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Saramommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 AM   #45  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

I'm reading Atonement by Ian McEwan. Loved the movie, love the book even more. next up is The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I'm slowly getting through my unread novels that I've bought over the past 10 years or so.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote