3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Fading acne scars!! Anyone know of anything that works? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/168994-fading-acne-scars-anyone-know-anything-works.html)

blissclaire 04-14-2009 01:42 AM

Really, any microdermabrasion kit will work. Normally, its just a skin scrub and a moisturizer in a kit. But really, instead of getting a kit, you could just use a really good skin scrub twice a week and get roughly the same results.

Kritter 04-15-2009 02:16 AM

Ok I'm going to the store tomorrow so I will see whats available. I'm just so frustrated about how bad the scars look. And the fact that I paid so much money for the Proactiv and its not really working to stop the new acne! Errggg!!!! Anyways... sorry for the rant. Thanks for your help!

NishKitten 04-15-2009 09:37 AM

I've always used coarse sea salt sprinkled onto the juicy half of a cold lemon and then using that to exfoliate my face. I have really sensitive skin, and just the *mention* of soap or chemicals makes my face start breaking out. LoL.

The lemon juice naturally lightens the scars and the salt exfoliates, plus it's cheap.

Kritter 04-15-2009 09:40 PM

Wow never thought of that! I'll have to give it a try.

missamelissa 04-15-2009 10:11 PM

I also used to use Proactiv. I got fed up with the product leaving my clothes with bleach stains. My sister reccomended Skin Effects. It is available from CVS. I like to use the cleansing mask. I absolutely love it. They have a lot of products and may have something that helps reduce acne scarring.

Kritter 04-16-2009 01:31 AM

Well I did some research online but I don't know if it helped or made things worse! There are so many products and its hard to know what will work. There are some reviews but you never know how its going to work on your own skin. I found this website www.skincarerx.com They have suggestions and most popular products. There is one on there called MaMa that helps reduce the scars along with some other brands. (Murad, ect.) They also have face wash, toner, and moisturizers. Almost overwhelming! :dizzy:

I might try something on there but if anyone has a specific regiment or product they use other than Proactiv ( or as I like to call it reactiv) Please let me know! I appreciate all the tips! :D

JadeBlue14 04-17-2009 02:14 AM

I use the Murad starter kit. It came with a cleanser, toner/exfoliater, spot treatment, and moisturizer. I don't use the moisturizer, because it isn't enough for my skin. My skin gets super dry. I actually only wash it once a day because of that. I use a lotion made by vaseline instead. The murad really helps with the new break outs, though. I haven't noticed about the scars. the look lighter, but that could just be time, as well

Kritter 04-17-2009 06:31 PM

Anyone try these products?

Well I went to a hair and body store yesterday to see what products they have and I got some samples of this stuff called clean start by dermalogica. I tried it last night and this morning and it seems ok. Seems a lot lighter than Proactiv and made my face not as oily. Not sure how it would be in the long run considering I only have about 4-5 days worth of samples.

I did find 2 products I'm leaning towards. Neostrata's acne kits (they have 2 and not sure which one would be better) or M2 skin care line. Neostrata is a lot cheaper and is recomended by dermatologists but the reviews on the M2 are really good. Anyone try these?

ShrinkingNicole 04-17-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kritter (Post 2694333)
I have been battling my acne since I turned 21. I have been using proactiv for a number of years and it seems to work pretty good. (notice I said pretty good not the best). I have tried other products but they don't work as well. I feel like using the proactiv has left me with some ugly redish scars on the cheeks. I'm trying to find something that will help fade the appearance. They don't seem to go away with the proactiv. I've tried Mederma but it takes way too long and you have to put that damn cream on 3 times a day! That just doesn't work for me. Any Ideas??? :?:

Also if anyone has tried a better acne treatment than proactiv please let me know!!!!

i have found 2 products that work the best for me. i have olive skin and tend to scar a purplish shade (not to pretty) there is a product from avon that is a stretch mark cream that totally vanishes the purple marks i had, and then there is also vitamin E cream that worked for me too.
as far as skin issues i only use dove sensitive skin soap on my face and knock on wood havent had any problems.
you might want to try switching the makeup (if you wear makeup) you use b/c that could be causing your breakouts also.
best of luck and wishing you clear and beautiful skin!

cfb8986 04-17-2009 07:45 PM

I use Murad. I don't have terrible scarring but it has worked very well.

Riestrella 01-24-2013 07:21 AM

Run your fingers over the scarring, is it bumpy? If it's not, then those scars won't fade immediately with creams - it will fade in time. Laser treatment is probably the most effective against this scarring unfortunately. This is directly from the mouth of a dermatologist since I had the same issues after being treated for severe acne. They do go down in time out of experience.

Psychic 01-24-2013 08:11 AM

I'm almost 21 now, but I've had acne since I was 14. Its slowly getting better over the years. I don't use cleansers anymore, but I use Pond's makeup remover wipes at night and just water in the morning. Everything else dries my sensitive skin.

Try Clean & Clear's Persa-Gel 10. Its the only thing I've found that works for me. If I'm having a bad breakout, I smear it all over my face. Its good for spot-treating also though.

And although this sounds counter-productive, try spot-treating with a Q-Tip with some Vitamin E oil ($3 at walmart near supplements and vitamins). It really fades scars fast.

If my skin gets dry, I use Neutrogena Light Sesame Formula Body Lotion on my face. Its the only thing that doesn't break me out that works well. Its not going to help with acne, but it definitely clears up dry skin caused by acne products with no negative effects.

PS - Birth control also helps most women with acne, if you don't mind taking it.

Riestrella 01-24-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychic (Post 4604744)
PS - Birth control also helps most women with acne, if you don't mind taking it.

It has to be a specific type of birth control since there are loads of different types of birth control pills made differently. It's why some women have loads of side effects with one type and none with another.

I was given Dianete for my skin when I was a teenager, it was actually not classed as a proper form of birth control at that time but it was used for acne. Unfortunately my acne was too severe for the Dianete to work with me.

Just wanted to clarify it's not just any old birth control pill that will help with acne! :)

Psychic 01-24-2013 11:47 AM

Riestrella - Ah. I didn't know that I'm on Portia (generic Nordette) and it has really helped clear my skin up.

modifyeddoll87 01-24-2013 04:23 PM

im with nishkitty

were indian and my mother insists that we wash our faces with a lemon and corse salt at least evrey other week to thouroughly clense the pores and brighten complexion

on a side note if you have issues with fresh acne an alternate clenser ( altough a bit messy do this before you shower and if you can in the nude because this stuff stains clothing and ends up evrywear

make yourself a paste of tumric and milk smooth onto a clean face let harden .... get in shower and wash off THOUROUGHLY otherwise you shall be tinted yellow for the next few hours .... the tumeric acts as an anti inflammatory wich soothes brightens and helps prevent future breakouts and the milk is good for your skin ,

i used to make fun of these crazy remedies but i guess they work ... im almost 26 and i havent touched any sort of face wash moisturizer or complexion makeup in my life

good old khol for my eyes and gloss for my lips !