3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   knee problems (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/168117-knee-problems.html)

onestar 03-31-2009 12:11 AM

knee problems

i have been exersizing for three months now. usually i walk 1 hr., and jog 5-10 min. on my treadmill at home. at first it was all good. now i am sore a lot. in my left thigh and knee. it's kinda weird cuz it's on the one side. so, i'll take off a day then resume. but i think it's affecting my weight loss. it has slowed down a lot. i've tried bengay and tonight i tried soaking in epsom salt. i am so worried that i won't be able to work out any more. what can i do?

Iconised Ghost 03-31-2009 12:38 AM

how are your shoes? I know people hark on about it, but good shoes for jogging really are essential and make a heck of a lot of difference

lady bug 03-31-2009 02:01 AM

How muscular are you? Knees need support! Try working out your legs with some weights.

I have bad knees and would like to start running again, so I'm getting more familiar with weight training to build some muscle.

princesspuffypants 03-31-2009 06:22 AM

Jogging is TERRIBLE for you. there are no more health benefits than walking fast and its MUCH worse on your knees

http://www.submityourarticle.com/art...iner-46010.php

colormerd47 03-31-2009 06:34 AM

Onestar,
Yes, I agree, good shoes are essential. You can also try something called Tiger Balm, it is very good for soreness, and this is coming from someone who has to bad knees. If the pain persists, you want to have a doc to check it out. Pain is our friend, it let's us know when something is wrong. It may not be anything huge, but check it out, it is better safe than sorry. I just found out I have artheritis in one knee and you do not have to be OLD to have this.
Princesspuffypants, is right also. Walking is great and is as beneficial as running. Blessings to you on your journey. Keep us posted.

Aggie

saef 03-31-2009 06:45 AM

You may want to think about going to a specialty shop for runners in your area to get new shoes. They may watch you run on a treadmill & figure out from your gait what would be a good shoe for you. You may be favoring one side over the other. The shoes you buy at such a shop will not be inexpensive, but the price will be worth it because of the advice you can get from a real professional at one of these shops could be really insightful. Also, after you wear out your first expensive pair of shoes, you may be able to find the next pair in the same model more cheaply online or on sale elsewhere.

rainy 03-31-2009 06:58 AM

I broke my knee more than 5 years ago in a car accident, I remember it took over 2 years to come back to normal and anyways sometimes it still 'wakes up', expecially when I go down too hard with exercizing.
Whenever it happens, the best to do with me is just to forget about antinflammatories and various pills that judt don't work with me, but pick up and go walking in the water, let it be a pool or the sea...I wasl there for about one hour, I exit that I'm exausted but the knee is healed. The water does a massage that you cannot find anywhere else, so, if you can access anything like a pool (to walk, not to swim) or the sea, I really advise you to go ahve a walk.

sm177 03-31-2009 10:20 AM

I get knee pain sometimes too and usually I do some strength training and take some advil when it's really bothering me. Usually it only lasts a day or two. Also, I find the treadmill gives me the pain sometimes, I have no idea why though, so try going outside sometimes. And lots of stretching!

princesspuffypants -- I hate when people say that. Whenever I tell them I run "oooh it's so bad for your knees!" and my response to that is "and sitting on the couche all day is soooo good for you!" (not saying that you do, but I think it gets my point across). I love running and it's the one of the best things to happen to me for a variety of reasons, I run about 30 miles a week and I feel pretty fantastic most of the time. So don't discourage others!

brooksrm 03-31-2009 11:42 AM

When I started C25K I had bad knee pain and it was so bad I talked to my doctor about it.

Aleve is an over the counter med like tylenol or ibuprofen and its main job is an anti-inflammatory. I was told to take it twice a day, but after a week or so I think my knees were able to repair whatever damage I did and now I only take it after running.

Also, as for stretching, my doctor said I may have had what's called Iliotibial Band Syndrome, and she printed off some stretches from the internet for me to try and they feel great. I realized I was tight in those areas, and I think these have helped with my knee pain too.

http://www.howtostretch.com/iliotibi.htm

onestar 03-31-2009 03:52 PM

thanks for all of your responses ladies....i think i am going to try going to the park to walk sometimes or just walk (instead of jog) on the treadmill. i think i could use a new pair of shoes also.

princesspuffypants 04-03-2009 04:55 AM

SM - please re-read what i said. its not running. its jogging.

MariaMaria 04-03-2009 05:21 PM

princessfluffy, most runners find that either one is running (in which case there is a point in ones stride where both of ones feet are off the ground at the same time), or else one is walking (and one always has at least one foot touching the ground). So which one is it that you find so unhealthy?

Tabby 04-03-2009 05:40 PM

My knee has been hurting the past few days also. I need to go get some advil I have been using excedrin but it isn't helping any.

lovesjm 04-03-2009 06:29 PM

Any excercise taken to the extreme or done incorrectly can cause injury. In my experience, pain after running was mostly because I was lazy and slacked on stretching. Make sure you are nice and stretched before you run/jog, and stretch after as well. And take some time for it to heal before you start running again. If something hurts, dont do it!

onestar 04-03-2009 07:37 PM

yeah...i've just been walking on the treadmill lately and trying to walk outside more....i walked my daughter to the park and back today (about 30min. each way). but i still felt that slight pain in my knee. i don't know. i don't have health insurance so i can't just pick up and go to the doctor...i'm just trying to see what helps and deal with it.