3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   I took the dreaded bikini mirror pic. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/167477-i-took-dreaded-bikini-mirror-pic.html)

JulieRN 03-23-2009 09:14 AM

I took the dreaded bikini mirror pic.

So I told myself I'd take a picture in the mirror in my bikini (that's bordering on too small) at 180. Woah do I look worse in the picture than how I look in my head. And I sure don't look good in my mind. Ugh.

I plan on taking a picture every 10 lbs and the 1st of every month from now on. I just really hope I start to see improvements, because the whole ordeal was a bit depressing, even though I have lost 15 lbs and I have been working my butt off in the exercise department. Just feels impossible to get to my goal weight.

Does anyone else take pics like that? How do you feel it's going?

HybridRainbows 03-23-2009 11:00 AM

That's a really solid idea. I had thought about doing this myself because I am more interested in the loss affecting the way that I look, rather than the pounds that the scale reflects. I just don't think that I would have the nerve to show it to anyone at all (at least not until I reach something close to my goal weight).

I was going to take the photo once a week so I have a weekly tracker of my progress, regardless of the amount of weight lost.

Star2Be 03-23-2009 12:40 PM

Yes, I have been taking/posting progress pics throughout this whole process, at every mini-goal (which roughly correspond to every 20 lbs lost). I really think it has been one of the most valuable things I've done! I was hesitant to take the first round, because I couldn't see much of a difference at that point, but it's really cool to me when I can line all of them up and be able to look at both the minor changes that 20 lbs makes as well as the bigger changes from "before" to "now"... Not to mention how inspiring it will be for others (like me :dizzy:) to see your progress, if you feel comfortable posting your pics on here! I definitely recommend it.

Also, about a week ago I finally summoned the courage to take my first round of *nude* pictures (for my reference only, LOL!) and I was totally shocked--in a good way! :eek: I feel like I'm used to seeing my body ONLY with my clothes on it, so it's much easier for my body dysmorphia to creep in and sort of mess up the way I look at myself, cuz seeing my own clothes triggers me to think, "Oh, that's Meredith, and she's fat" without really letting me SEE my own body (is that making any sense?). But when I'm just looking at naked flesh, if I cover up my face it's like looking at a total stranger! For a second I'm almost able to see what I might look like to other people, and I thought that was really cool! Maybe taking bikini pics has a similar effect? And I don't think it's such a bad thing if you feel smaller in your head than you think you look in the pictures--that's indicative of healthy self-esteem/confidence in your body, which is always a good thing, IMO! :p

LucyFM 03-23-2009 02:43 PM

I take underwear pics every fortnight along with my measurements. Even after 6 weeks you could really tell the difference in certain areas. I find it a huge motivation!

Thighs Be Gone 03-23-2009 02:53 PM

I wish I had taken photographs. I have some here or there but none of the "real" shots. I was always so camera shy.

LynseyLikes2Lose 03-23-2009 03:39 PM

I took some in pants and a sports bra this time. I was at 180 when I took them. I'll take more when I think there's been a change.

LucyFM 03-23-2009 03:41 PM

Oh and I meant to say that the first ones are definitely frightening. It really scared me into taking things seriously when you see the extent of it. I turned straight to my DB and asked how he could find that attractive.
Plus I'm gonna make a monster goal thread filled with progress photos when I reach goal!

angelinelosesweight 03-23-2009 05:51 PM

I think it's a great idea for motivation -either to do them as weekly- or at your goals:)

Good luck- You'll have to post them down the road so we can share your excitement:) I'm going to post mine- but not until I'm at least mid way down the goal line;)

misspiggy408 03-23-2009 06:18 PM

Great idea! That's exactly what my motivation has been .... to fit in the "mono-kini" i bought last summer. (After having a few kids, getting in a REAL bikini is not gonna happen LOL) Except i've been just trying it on every 10 lbs.

missamelissa 03-23-2009 06:50 PM

You guys are so brave. No way in h*ll I'd have the courage to do that! :-)

mrsaugie 03-23-2009 08:15 PM

taking pics like that really helps. because even though you may not notice the smallest changes you with you clothes. when you are in a bikini or underware for pics and compare them from time to time you will see a difference and i do agree it then becomes a motivator to keep going.

kswood87 03-24-2009 01:51 AM

Wow I just got up the courage to take pictures with clothes on. I was really dreading seeing those pictures but it actually ended up not being so bad. :) I don't even own a bikini but maybe I'll order one online.

Zephra 03-24-2009 01:55 AM

I like taking sexy and/or nude/scantily clad pics. It helps me feel better, because the flaws that seem so huge to me in the mirror aren't that huge on film, and if you know how to pose, the camera can be VERY flattering. Great motivation. I haven't tried a bikini, but maybe I will. I do need to start swimsuit shopping anyway.

joyra 03-24-2009 02:25 AM

Yes I took pictures in my tankini swimsuit 2 months before I went on vacation. Uh, frightening. And that was after I'd lost about 15 lbs. It's amazing how I can see my "fat" self in the mirror but turn to an angle I don't normally see in the mirror and POW--I'm knocked out by how BAD I look. The bottom of the suit was a bit small so I found a larger bottom for my beach trip--and just generally avoided swimsuit pictures.

I'll probably wait until closer to summer to take more swimsuit pictures. It was pretty traumatic for me!

Oh and I guess I should mention my largest part is my butt so the rearview is especially shocking to me since I don't see my butt that often.

prepping 03-24-2009 11:27 AM

After reading this thread, I mentioned to the hubby last night that I was thinking I'd take some bikini shots. He thought it was a great idea because then I would get to see how good I look in them.

.... men are funny. Especially when the reason is pretty much the exact opposite. :p