JM's 30 Day Shred: Reanimation - Page 5 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

My only big issue was the ab stuff...I've never in my LIFE been able to do crunches of any kind without my neck hurting. I'll have to work on it pretty hard. I didn't even finish that part of the workout because my neck was hurting too bad. My form is just ALL wrong, and I can't seem to fix it. I did the first circuit ok...then my neck started going all wrong in the second and I gave up on the third with even trying to keep up. I feel nothing in my abs....It's all about the correct form.

Oh, and I need hand weights....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

Finished Day 2 today. My knees are really pretty sore again today so instead of butt kick running I marched in place and kept my heart rate up. On the last cardio set I did that for about half the jump rope stuff too. Does anyone else modify a bit more than the DVD "allows" ?
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #63  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Mindi:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Avoid-Neck...hes&id=1993146

Maybe this can help you to understand what's wrong with your form?

I've had the neck problems before too with trying to do proper crunches. I found that when I press my chin against my chest and pull too much on my neck with my hands, I strain my neck. It works my abs harder and hurts my neck less if I remove my chin from my chest and and aim it more up towards the ceiling... and if I monitor how much my arms are pulling and try to use my abs to facilitate the motion and not my arms.
Worst case scenario, you could try folding your arms across your chest and attempting crunches like that... unless the lack of support harms rather than helps, it'd keep you from pulling and straining your neck? Good luck!

...I need to lie down and see if that arms-not-used-method works...

Brook:
The first day, I paused the DVD, sat on the couch, chugged a bottle of water and just BREATHED for 2 minutes. Lol.
We're not on the Biggest Loser, and we don't have to push ourselves to throwing-up point, because TV Jillian Michaels doesn't know when we take a breather. Muwaha.
That being said... I'd say, do things at your own pace, as long as you're still pushing yourself. If you're a little bit tired, so you stop, then you may not ever get results (which you're obviously not doing!), but I figure... the first day I was dead. But the second day, I really pushed myself. And I made it the whole way through without stopping except ONCE during pushups and only for a sec!
So... do things at your own pace, as long as you're still working up to doing things at her pace is my vote!

Last edited by Jelbb; 03-06-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #64  

Jelbb....good tips! I'll try those and check out that link!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

I'm a little late in my answer, but I use 5 lb weights as well. kudos to those that can use more weight! I thought I was pretty strong until I realized that I needed to give my arms some rest for those side lunge things. I'm pretty sure that the 5 will be adequate for all 3 levels for me because I'm sure the exercises don't get any easier.

I'm not sore today but I did some pretty killer muscle work lately outside of the shred that had me hurting over the last few days. I can only image the amount of muscle pain the people on BL actually go through at least for the first while. I bet they probably couldn't even move after the first or second workout session.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #66  
Queen Yo-yo

Oh man, I can only imagine. I wonder if they're given much of a break in between those killer sessions with Bob & Jillian...
I could barely walk when I got outta bed this morning, and I'm doing 20 minutes, whoopie.

Off to do the 3DS! RIGHT NOW!

Day Three

Everything still hurts really badly, but finally... I made it through without any breaks. I even powered through the push-ups! I must admit that during the side-lunge-arm-raises I didn't bring the weights up quite to eye-level, as my arms were SCREAMING with pain, but the point is I did it!!!

I'm hoping my body adapts to this exercise sooner rather than later, I want the pain I feel every time I walk, or go upstairs in my house to stop, lol!

How are we all doing, ladies?

Last edited by Jelbb; 03-06-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #67  
In it for the long run

S/C/G: 196/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I completed day 3 of the shred this morning. The only thing that's sore is my calves and I'm pretty sure that's from the jump rope, and could be because I walk 2-3 miles right before I do the shred. I guess since I'm not sore I need to stop doing the modified versions and push myself to get through it fully (minus the pushups, if I push myself too hard on those I'll injure my wrist again, so I'll stick to the gurly ones for now). By the end of the cardio sections though I'm usually gasping for air lol, except for the butt kicks and punches, I really like those.
zoochick777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #68  

Nine hours later...still have the spaghetti legs...pray for me....
Old 03-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #69  
~FaBulOuS~

S/C/G: 195/159/155

Height: 5'8

I have been doing Jillian for awhile now and am into Level 2. She is awesome! I have to laugh, and I think you all will get a kick out of this. My BF tried doing it with me (on level 2) and he failed miserably. It was hysterical watching him out of the corner of my eye. LOL! He quit right at the end! I am towards the end of level 2 so I breezed through it and of course made a comment or 2 to him about it being no big deal, however I was totally lieing! She is a crazy person but I love it! Can't wait to start level 3!!!
meldogml84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #70  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Attack of the illness! Sore throat and coughing.

I thought I had escaped it this winter. I guess not.

But I'm going to TRY to get day 2 of level 2 done tonight if I'm feeling up to it. Just playing it by ear for right now.

Just for the weights question I switch it up. I have a set of 3lbs and one 8lbs so I sometimes will double it up (for chest presses, and bicep curls and stuff) and do 6 and 8 (and then switch arms for the 2nd rep). But the shoulder stuff kills me at just 3lbs.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #71  
Queen Yo-yo

Zoo:
*massages pained muscles* Yeah, quit the modified versions, I want you complaining as much as me! Kudos on the cardio before-hand, tho!

MindiV:
Ditto. =/ How'd you do on the ab-work-neck-pains?

Mel:
Hahaha, musta felt great to kick his *** at that! Well done, lady!

Servo:
Awww. Hope ya feel better soon honey!

Day Three Update:
I feel energetic this evening! Like.. I kinda wanna go do the 3DS again! But I figure my muscles are still pretty achy, maybe I should stick to the once-a-day for 10 days, give my arms and legs some recuperation time. STILL! Good news that I'm doing it and feeling GOOD instead of doing it and feeling drained!

Last edited by Jelbb; 03-06-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #72  

I did day three!
I admit I "phoned it in" a few times, especially on the cardio bits because my knees just aren't getting better. I did C25K last night and that put a lot of stress on them. Before work (i.e., in about 30 min) I'm going to head to wally world for some naproxen and I'm going to try a knee brace. I have a doctor appointment in a week and if I can just hold off until then... I'm trying to take it easy and still be active enough to lose this weight and inches! Anyway, my abs feel stronger, I can get through all the ab work finally without resting, but my arms feel mostly more like jello except for flies, where I upped my weight to my 5 lb weights. I actually did the anterior raises (circuit 3) without weights because I don't think I could have done them with good form with the weights.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #73  
Queen Yo-yo

Brook:
No worries, my arms feel like jell-o too, lol. And yeah... the flies are surprisingly easy for me... I'd up my weight for them, but I've only got 4 lb weights, so... maybe in the 2nd workout they'll be something a bit more challenging that works those same muscles.
Let us know how the doctors appointment goes, hopefully the knee brace will help a bit? Some of those lunges and stuff must be really hard for you!
Wayta go on working through the ab stuff as well! And I'm kinda proud of myself over the ab workouts because I can power through them... but I worry maybe I'm not doing them right if I'm not having that much trouble with them...? That, or maybe underneath all the layers of fat, I have killer abs from tensing in my abs so my stomach's not sticking out as much all these years...

Day Four:
Just did my fourth day! It's seeming like less and less of an ordeal every day. I still feel embarrassed as **** when my housemates come through the house and I'm skipping in place, or doing windmill arms, lol...

I powered through, stopping about 3 pushups from the finish in the second set, because... ow, holy ****. My arms just become EXHAUSTED doing those shoulder presses then doing MORE push-ups... but I couldn't get through the FIRST set of pushups the first day, so... we're coming along!

How're the rest of us doing!?

Last edited by Jelbb; 03-07-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #74  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post
Measurements:
Bust: 37
Natural waist: 31
Hips: 39
Thighs: 24

Anyone else in?
JELBB- girl. I haven't been on her much lately. And I was HARDCORE 30DS... so you have me remotivated. I didn't read through all this thread but I hope you are sticking with it.

Now what I want to know is this- how is it possible that you and I have nearly the exact same measurements but I weigh 170+?????????? I'm a little pissed off. OKAY now onward and upward. I'm going to do this! Keep it up!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #75  

Just wanted to update that I tried an anti-inflammatory (aleve) for the knees, and braces, and I felt good at the gym and now with no braces on and i'm sure the meds wore off hours ago, I have no pain at all where I used to! So... *gulp* i'm actually looking forward to getting through day four in the morning.