Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default BC and high blood pressure

I'm in a bit of a spot right now... I'm stopping my current birth control which I've been loving (depo) but may be causing some issues with my BP. I was wondering if there are any other chicks here that have issues with BP and are on hormonal BC... and what you're on...
dancingirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #2  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Height: 5'8"

your doctor should be giving you direction on which bc is safe to use. my friend has high bp and it took her trial and error with a few different pills to see which one worked. good luck but i think you should definitely take a docs direction on this.
bjeweled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Progesterone only pills (aka mini-pill) are supposedly safer for those with high blood pressure. However they need to be taken around the same time every day or they are less effective resulting in a higher rate of pregnancy than other forms of BC. You can get an IUD which has a hormonal implant (Mirena) which will deliver the same hormone without you having to remember to take a pill at the same time every day. Get advice from your doctor.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #4  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

There's a lot of things that can affect this. One is age, the possibility to have higher BP from hormonal birth control increases with age.

An important factor is did you develop this before or after starting the depo; some women have to find an alternative method because the pill or the shot just raises their BP too much.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

sorry, should have clarified... I already have a dr's appointment next week, just wanted to to do some research beforehand so I didn't show up completely unprepared

If i didn't develop the HBP _just_ before the depo, it was definitely after it... my PCP dr keeps telling me it's my weight... but losing 20lbs isn't going to bring it down 20pts, and it wasn't this high when I was 60lbs heavier...

i'm not sure about the pill thing... i've thought about an IUD, but had heard that you have to already have a child to have one... and I haven't (nor do I really plan to, lol, hence the BC...)
dancingirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #6  
*insert inspiration here*

S/C/G: 286/185/130

I'm on the Progesterone only pill because they were convinced that I have high blood pressure....I don't. They just piss me off before they take my BP every time I go in and then they blame it on my weight. I've been on it for about 2 years now...TOM can be a little unpredictable, but other than that, it's not bad. The everyday/same time doesn't bother me. I really used to it now. It's just part of my daily routine.
caligirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote