Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #16  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I add veggies to every thing and that *REALLY* helps with feeling satisfied and no hunger for hours. When I get lazy and don't feel like washing, slicing and dicing, I end up having a very difficult time.

For instance, for breakfast I sautee in a small skillet (with a quick spray of PAM, about 1/4 red, 1/4 green and 1/4 yellow bell pepper, 1/4 onion, about 4 or 5 button mushrooms and minced garlic (about 1 & 1/2 cups total raw veggies - around 40 calories) I cook them until they are cooked down the way I like them. I then crack 2 eggs (70 calories each) over the top of the veggies (WITH YOLKS!!!) and cover and let it simmer until the eggs are done. I cut a piece of regular sandwich cheese in half and melt 1/2 over each egg (60 calories). I then put each egg/cheese/veggie mix on a slice of whole grain (45 calorie each) toast. A splash of Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper and you have the most delicious huge plate of "southwest" eggs for 330 calories. I don't get hungry for HOURS when I eat this. Which is almost every day right now since there have been some great sales on bell peppers lately.

It takes awhile to slice & dice and cook, so I'll often make up a big batch of the veggies one day and they'll last several days in the fridge pre-cooked.

My husband also LOVES this, but he usually adds more cheese and sometimes sour cream...creep!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 172/150.8/130

Height: 5'3

Oatmeal doesn't do it for me. The one thing that really keeps me full is collard greens with cabbage.

I boil them both and season them up. One cup of greens is 25 calories.

When I am trying to cut my calories and still feel satisfied I eat them for lunch and or dinner and am satisfied without any need to snack.
diamondinthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #18  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

This thread is really helpful!

I find a hard time finding foods that fill me up and are healthy for me. I have a bad habit of not eating until Im STARVING, and its really effecting me.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #19  
I will do this.

Yes, I did start a 6 page thread on my love of diet soda a few months ago.

However, since then I have been cast in a show at school that is very vocally challenging (Thank you Jason Robert Brown!) I gave up diet coke to help promote vocal health and boy did it kick some of my cravings for snacks totally out the window! Not to mention bloating!

I have been diet coke free for a month and 9 days and I love it!

Last edited by Taylor86; 02-09-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #20  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor86 View Post
Yes, I did start a 6 page thread on my love of diet soda a few months ago.

However, since then I have been cast in a show at school that is very vocally challenging (Thank you Jason Robert Brown!) I gave up diet coke to help promote vocal health and boy did it kick some of my cravings for snacks totally out the window! Not to mention bloating!

I have been diet coke free for a month and 9 days and I love it!
good for you!!

i used to drink about 5 a day... now i'm down to one every couple days but mmm... i don't know if i could ever give it up! you've got some willpower!!
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

i love having ryevita crackers (FIBER!) and laughing cow or hummus on top, and myabe some sprouts or cucumber slices on top as well. also, a half cup serving of cottage cheese with cut up cucumbers, sprouts, onions, etc and salt and pepper tides me over for quite a while!

oh, and i used to be a diet coke addict but haven't had one in over 3 years! it is possible

Last edited by skinnywish; 02-09-2009 at 08:07 PM.
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

-BIG sandwiches (big because of the lettuce, onions, tomatoes, sprouts....)
-oatmeal w/ raisins & soy milk (on really active days I add peanut butter )
-green tea (like Taylor, I avoid diet soda; I always get hungry after I drink something with artificial sweeteners)
-egg-whites omelet with spinach and soy sauce (don't knock it 'til you try it)
-bean/lentil soups

I used to eat tons of fat-free yogurt, but then my body started rejecting lactose. I still have a nostalgic cup of key lime light Yoplait in the fridge

Last edited by tkm256; 02-09-2009 at 10:50 PM.
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppingbride View Post
The difference is that I put 2 tbsp ground flax seed for the fibre and 1/4 cup *dry* cottage cheese for protein.
What is *dry* cottage cheese?
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #24  

Ya'll have some great ideas! Oatmeal really doesn't do it for me...but I'll have to try it with peanut butter next time.

Does anyone have any good bean recipes? They get boring plain as a side, and I get tired of soup pretty easily!
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #25  

--

Last edited by thisisnotatest; 01-25-2010 at 06:07 PM.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Anything with good amounts of fiber

Kashi Go Lean cereals
Oatmeal
Granola/Yoguart

Add 2 tbs of flax seed to any of these (as previously mentioned) to add fiber, and it really fills you up. It dosne't add much taste, it's kind of a nutty taste, so good for you - and you can mix it into so much stuff!

Pears
Apples

South beach diet wheat tortilla, 1/4 cup of low fat shredded cheese, a few chunks of chicken breast, and a ton of lettuce. Only around 220 calories.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #27  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

Almonds, boiled eggs, string cheese, beans, veggies to bulk up meals and focus on proteins for snacks
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #28  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jademarlene View Post

some info
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jademarlene View Post
The difference is that dry curd cottage cheese is not in a liquid. There's less fat and much much less sodium (2% vs. 38% of a 2000 cal diet). Since it doesn't have the liquid, you don't need as much of it either - which is why I only use 1/4 cup.

Now the trade off in my opinion is that it doesn't taste as good as normal cott cheese (gotta be honest). I really only eat it because it's good for you and i need that 1/2 serving of protein with my breakfast. It's great when used in things -- i've even used it in lasagna and it turned out pretty good.

Dry Nutrition:
http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...-cheese-i95517

1% normal cottage cheese:
http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...-percent-i1016

Last edited by prepping; 02-10-2009 at 12:29 PM.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #30  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeypnd View Post
This thread is really helpful!

I find a hard time finding foods that fill me up and are healthy for me. I have a bad habit of not eating until Im STARVING, and its really effecting me.
Oh I used to do that and then found that by the time I ate I was overeating till I was stuffed- definitely not the way to go- now I make sure to take the time to eat at least 5 times a day, three meals and two snacks, no matter what I'm doing I drop it cuz it can wait
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote