3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Hi my name is Heather and I'm a scale addict (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/163816-hi-my-name-heather-im-scale-addict.html)

Here we go again 02-06-2009 12:10 PM

Hi my name is Heather and I'm a scale addict

There should be a support group for people that have an addiction to the scale! I have a personal trainer and she has told me that she will weigh me in once a week and I need to hide my scale.

I've been without it for 2 days and I'm going crazy. The scale is rarely nice to me anyways, but I need it!

I don't know why, I just do! lol

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do to over come it?

Right now, I'm just focusing on the fact that I'm so sore, and that's a reminder for now that I'm doing something right....

leighish 02-06-2009 12:12 PM

Hi Heather! I'm Ashleigh and I weigh myself multiple times a day out of morbid curiousity. I always want to be a weekly weigher, and maybe once I start maintaining I can ease into it, but right now, daily weighing is the only thing that really keeps my head on straight.

prepping 02-06-2009 12:17 PM

*raises hand* here too. I've been able to stop weighing multiple times a day, but sometimes weighing in is what actually gets me out of bed rather than pressing the snooze button one more time.

when I don't weigh every day, it means i'm doing something that may reflect badly on it. So as long as i get on it every day it reminds me to be good.

I've come to accept it ... for now. :p

Taylor86 02-06-2009 12:21 PM

I threw away my scale. Do it.

It took me at least 2 weeks to get it around my head but it was totally worth it. Now the only thing i go off of it the feel of my pants and my trainers measuring tape.

luvja 02-06-2009 12:23 PM

GUILTY :devil:

I weigh myself atleast once a day. Just to sort of see where I stand. :dunno:

stellart 02-06-2009 12:26 PM

i used to weigh myself multiple times a day. sad i know. then i cut down to once a day. now i'm down to once a week. i got rid of the scale. and only weigh once a week at my bf's place. it's gotten easier over time. but still there's times when i just want to weigh right then and there, and i cant.

Priscatip 02-06-2009 12:29 PM

I weigh myself every day, but I only write it down on my little chart on Sunday mornings when i weigh naked and hungry. It's in my bathroom downstairs, so I step on it just about every time I pee. I only count the Sunday one though. :)

butterflywings34 02-06-2009 12:36 PM

Ok I admit it too, I weigh myself every morning! :shrug:

I am going to try and do it once a week! We will see how long that last..lol

CakeBatter 02-06-2009 12:36 PM

Hi my name is Ashlan and I am a 8 month recovering scale addict. I still get tempted but since it is out of sight it is out of mind. How did I get over it>>>>i gave one away (yes I had two) and the other I had my BF hide it. When I finally found the battery was dead!! HA

Here we go again 02-06-2009 12:37 PM

I'm so glad I'm not alone! lol

I had to take my scale out of my bathroom b/c I would weight everytime I was in there!

It's almost like I can deal with the disappointment daily of the scale not moving, but if I only weigh weekly and it doesn't move I feel more like a failure!

Cake- 8 months! You're my hero!

kelli32 02-06-2009 12:40 PM

I used to for about a week in the very beginning but I put my scale in a really inconvienent place and I make myself put it away everytime. Honestly its mental torture because you feel guilty over natural things like water weight and body fluctuations that occur regularly. You all know that- and I know you do it because you get on here and say "I gained 5 pounds today but I know its just water weight but it makes me mad." I get mad once a week about water weight if thats whats going on and don't worry about it again until Wednesday when I weigh in again. Stress is not good for weightloss, especially stress over your weight and the daily eb and flow of your weight gives you highs and lows that you can nearly avoid. Which most of the time directly effects your mood towards eating and working out that day. Do you get on the scale and say.. "I weigh more now than this morning because I just ate." or " just drank a big glass of water so thats why its up 2 pounds." if you know you are going to weigh more than you did in the morning then whats the point of getting on the scale. You know it happens and guess what... it happens. I think its all unneccessary, but to each his own. I just think there's a reason why every health professional says to only weigh yourself once a week, some even say every other.

mygritsconfessions 02-06-2009 12:40 PM

LOL, Ok, I confess, I too am a scale addict. Sometimes I will get on it numerous times and even put it on different places on the floor to see if it changes! Crap, it's like I think it is going to drop 10lbs. or something! I need help. Maybe I should get rid of mine too, and just weigh at the grocery store once a week. :?:

Sandy

blog - www.mygritsconfessions.com

Blcarter84 02-06-2009 12:40 PM

I used to only weigh myself once a week now I basically weigh myself every morning. Kind of lets me know when I mess up what effects certaint hings have!

170starting 02-06-2009 01:13 PM

I weigh myself every day too. I dont get discouraged when I see the numbers go up and down...just because I know it is to be expected... and 3FC has helped with that because we talk about fluctuation all the time.

FreeSpirit 02-06-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelli32 (Post 2599020)
I used to for about a week in the very beginning but I put my scale in a really inconvienent place and I make myself put it away everytime. Honestly its mental torture because you feel guilty over natural things like water weight and body fluctuations that occur regularly. You all know that- and I know you do it because you get on here and say "I gained 5 pounds today but I know its just water weight but it makes me mad." I get mad once a week about water weight if thats whats going on and don't worry about it again until Wednesday when I weigh in again. Stress is not good for weightloss, especially stress over your weight and the daily eb and flow of your weight gives you highs and lows that you can nearly avoid. Which most of the time directly effects your mood towards eating and working out that day. Do you get on the scale and say.. "I weigh more now than this morning because I just ate." or " just drank a big glass of water so thats why its up 2 pounds." if you know you are going to weigh more than you did in the morning then whats the point of getting on the scale. You know it happens and guess what... it happens. I think its all unneccessary, but to each his own. I just think there's a reason why every health professional says to only weigh yourself once a week, some even say every other.

That's what I was going to say.

If anyone on here can honestly, truly say that when they see the number on the scale go up they don't feel at least a tiny bit of sadness or anger, then weighing everyday is fine. For others I think it's kind of dangerous to be obsessed with it because of how it affects your mood.

Just my two cents. :dunno:

Bee20nine 02-06-2009 01:15 PM

I made (for me) the mistake of weighing in more than once a week on all the other diets I tried. It drove me bonkers, and it would feed the idea that the diet wasn't working etc and therefore fuel to just quit when the scale was all over the place.

The best thing I have ever done in this journey is only weigh once a week. It was hard at first, I had to get out my scale, weigh, and put it back in its spot away from where I would think about it. The out of sight out of mind thing really worked for me. I couldn't see the daily fluctuations in my body and it just overall helped me mentally.

I would encourage anyone who weighs daily, to try for more than a week to only weigh once a week and see if you find any changes in your mental state about your weight loss.

Stizzle 02-06-2009 01:35 PM

You all have inspired me to put the scale away. Just this week I have become extra-addicted to it......multiple times a day. It's definately messing with my head. I just put it up on a very high shelf in the hallway closet under some pillows so I can't hear it calling my name.... :-) Thank you for the inspiration.

Here we go again 02-06-2009 01:41 PM

Maybe we can start this as a be accountable thread for not looking at the scale except once a week. I know I need help! I can't do it alone.

Anyone up for it? :)

Stizzle 02-06-2009 01:50 PM

I'm up for it!! I have a trainer too, and we check once a week. I really think I'd still like to weigh at home right before I go in so there aren't any surprises at the gym.......is that still too obsessive?

corazonas 02-06-2009 01:53 PM

i have a weekly weigh in day. occasionally i'll peek halfway through the week or something but i really only take that once a week weigh in to heart

wchs2007 02-06-2009 01:55 PM

I would never make it.. I have to have my scale.. Do I get a little down when it does not move.. Of course I do. But not so bad that I would go off plan..
I did try this in 2007 and made it about one week. I am just a scale person..

jahjah1223 02-06-2009 02:32 PM

i weigh myself about 6 times a day ! lol

junebug41 02-06-2009 02:39 PM

Y'all can have your support group... but I'm sticking with weighing in every single morning. You can't make me give it up! :snooty:

Actually, I don't mind not weighing everyday (or ever for that matter), but it's so easy for me to justify getting off track when I don't have to think about what the scale says. It just spells trouble for me.

bjeweled 02-06-2009 04:13 PM

i'm with june bug i tried but now i am back to weighing everyday. and i need it for my sanity

it makes me work harder and keeps me accountable. now that i have been doing it and paying attention to what i did that day to make it go down or up i feel like i know how to keep my body losing and what does or does not work.

FreeSpirit 02-06-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeweled (Post 2599422)
i'm with june bug i tried but now i am back to weighing everyday. and i need it for my sanity

it makes me work harder and keeps me accountable. now that i have been doing it and paying attention to what i did that day to make it go down or up i feel like i know how to keep my body losing and what does or does not work.

That's the thing though, fluctuations are NORMAL. You're not supposed to be consistently losing day by day by day. It's normal for your body to go up a pound or so, and then drop back down. Thinking that your body needs to continuously lose is dangerous, IMO.

junebug41 02-06-2009 04:32 PM

I don't think she meant that she needs to see a loss every single day and that if she doesn't she'll freak out.

I don't sweat a fluctuation, but I do keep track. I would even say that weighing every morning has made me more in tune with my body and it's natural ebbs and flows. Not weighing everyday just allows me to keep my head in the sand. It's awfully convenient for me to "forget" for weeks on end and then I'm in the mess I'm in now- 15 pounds up from my goal weight.

I don't think there's anything wrong with weighing everday, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: And I should add that obviously I don't think there's anything wrong with NOT weighing everyday either. People need to do what works for them and that will always be the case.

kalikat003 02-06-2009 04:38 PM

I weigh myself everyday.. but I am decided right now that I am only going to weigh myself on Sundays. It will be hard, but I won't die over it hah

FreeSpirit 02-06-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junebug41 (Post 2599470)
I don't think she meant that she needs to see a loss every single day and that if she doesn't she'll freak out.

I don't sweat a fluctuation, but I do keep track. I would even say that weighing every morning has made me more in tune with my body and it's natural ebbs and flows. Not weighing everyday just allows me to keep my head in the sand. It's awfully convenient for me to "forget" for weeks on end and then I'm in the mess I'm in now- 15 pounds up from my goal weight.

I don't think there's anything wrong with weighing everday, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: And I should add that obviously I don't think there's anything wrong with NOT weighing everyday either. People need to do what works for them and that will always be the case.

I get what you're saying, now. Having been dealing with an eating disorder on and off since I was 16, it makes it very difficult for me to understand how anyone can take the daily fluctuations at face value.

HeatherMcG 02-06-2009 04:56 PM

My name is Heather and I am a scale addict. I weigh myself every morning and on my OCD days, many, many, many times a day. I do not enjoy it. IT makes me feel like a failure everytime. For some reason, I can't stop. Its like I NEED it. Starting today I will only weigh once a week. This will be every Monday morning. I used to think the scale was my friend.... now I am convinced that its number not changing or going up is hazardous to my motivation. In fact, it is. Only since I have started weighing daily have I considered quitting several times. No more.

THE SCALE HAS NO POWER OVER ME!!!! I am done with you scale. You are just a tool. I own you (biatch! ;) ). I USE you. You will not control me. Too many years of my life have been darkened by your presence. I AM DONE!

junebug41 02-06-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelypurple (Post 2599499)
I get what you're saying, now. Having been dealing with an eating disorder on and off since I was 16, it makes it very difficult for me to understand how anyone can take the daily fluctuations at face value.

I guess I should have expanded on that. I would never recommend that someone who has experienced disordered eating weigh everyday. And actually, it did take me a while before I was able to take it at face value, especially when I got to my goal a few years ago... I was generally terrified of waking up after a big meal being at my original weight. I really had to "get the hang of" doing it every day. I think it's a useful tool in keeping me on track because I've always been the Queen of DeNile ;) "Noooooooo, 2 weeks of wine every night and eating takeout didn't have THAT much affect on the scale." I'm that girl. :dizzy:

aware210 02-06-2009 04:58 PM

i tried to hide my scale this week ad only weigh once a week.. well it didint work.. ive been on it at least like every day once lol.

jahjah1223 02-06-2009 05:07 PM

I'm going to try and hide it just till Monday morning and see if that works haha

Prscarlet 02-06-2009 06:45 PM

I'm a scale addict as well,lol. Although I have restricted myself to less then three times a day for the past few days, which is a small victory for me considering I use to weigh myself every few hours just out of morbid curiosity. Hopefully i'll be able to cut down that number untill finally the day come where I don't feel the need to weigh myself anymore.

Here we go again 02-06-2009 06:48 PM

It's been almost 3 days!!! The suspense is killing me!!!! I get weighed on Monday. Why does that seem an eternity away?

Bee20nine 02-06-2009 06:52 PM

I wouldn't mind at all to be an accountability partner to anyone who wants it for not weighing in everyday.

bjeweled 02-06-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelypurple (Post 2599433)
That's the thing though, fluctuations are NORMAL. You're not supposed to be consistently losing day by day by day. It's normal for your body to go up a pound or so, and then drop back down. Thinking that your body needs to continuously lose is dangerous, IMO.

i understand that fluctutations are normal but i have learned how my body reacts to different behaviors that i exhibit by weighing myself everyday and i know i am not supposed to lose everyday but i know what will stop me from losing and what will keep me progressing because i journal and look at what works and what doesnt. like junebug said i tend to be in denial at times and the scale keeps me in check. it works for me. it aint for everybody.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherMcG (Post 2599518)
THE SCALE HAS NO POWER OVER ME!!!! I am done with you scale. You are just a tool. I own you (biatch! ;) ). I USE you. You will not control me. Too many years of my life have been darkened by your presence. I AM DONE!

Go Heather! Tell that pesky scale!

like bee i will help keep yall accountable. once i start p90x my brother wants me to only weigh once a month i promised him i would try to wean myself off so i will need ya'll

tandifrass 02-06-2009 11:46 PM

"Hi I'm Tandi and I'm addicted to weighing myself."
I weigh myself a million times a day just to see... then i had to take my scale to work annd leave it there for a week for our biggest loser competition, and I almost died...I'm trying to get over it.

ZelZel 02-07-2009 12:24 AM

OMG Heather! i have an addiction to scales too!
ITS horrible but i do it.

i check it every few hours :lol: whenevr i go to my bathroom i do it. i go in to take a pee. I look at the scale and step on it. now i know for a fact it wont go up or down in a few hours but grrr xD i know the addiction.

Quote:

THE SCALE HAS NO POWER OVER ME!!!! I am done with you scale. You are just a tool. I own you (biatch! ). I USE you. You will not control me. Too many years of my life have been darkened by your presence. I AM DONE!
ahhahah I -SO- need to do what you do LOL!

Arcana 02-07-2009 12:31 AM

Yep, I'm joining this support group. The only thing that stops me from weighing myself constantly is that the scale is at the gym on the other side of campus...that does not on the other hand stop me from weighing myself every time I'm there. It's really hard not to obsess over the numbers, even though I know that the number isn't the most important thing at all.

HeatherMcG 02-07-2009 10:01 AM

Ha! As I reread my post from yesterday where I told the scale off.... I realize it was slightly on the silly side. :o Oh well, it made me feel better. I told hubby. We have changed the scale's name from Promise to Biatch. I think it fits it much better! lol