Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Default What do you do?

I was just wondering what everyone does for their jobs and how that affects their weight loss.

I was in the stockroom at a pressure washer manufacturing plant when I lost 40 pounds. I ran and ran all day and it helped a ton.
Then I was given a job in the office as media developer in August. After this I gained 19 pounds. I had my gall bladder out and there was an insane amount of treats in the break room at all times. I sat at my desk all day. I ran to the plant maybe 3 times a day with things for the machines but that was the extent of my movement.
Now, after the layoffs, my main job is to be in charge of 3 different things. I work in an upstairs office with 1 other person (a big one..I had a cube before) mostly creating orders and such but have to track down parts like crazy. Today I was up and down the steps at least 15 times and I ran all over looking for things to make sure the computer inventory is correct. I will also be doing UPS ship out when that girl is gone and working the stockroom like I used to when that guy is gone. Those are both lots of running.

Anyway, what should I put as my activity level on daily plate? I have it on computer use with some standing. I think I need to bump it up though since I am all over right now. The man in charge of me said he is going to keep me running so it's not going to stop anytime in the near future and when (if) it does, I can lower it again.

Would you up it? And what is your job? What kind of activity do you do and what is yours set at if you use daily plate?

I ask this because I'm thinking I eat too little. I might bump it up to like 1400-1500 cals a day. Do you think that'd be too much?

Sorry I always have so many questions. I'm just trying to figure this out in the fastest way possible. LOL!

Last edited by LynseyLikes2Lose; 01-21-2009 at 05:20 PM.
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'd probably still try to get to the gym at least 2x a week if I were you.

For me, I sit down a lot at work, most of my work is done sitting down at a desk. The most exertion I have is walking around stocking and checking inventory- to me that's no effort at all. I try to get to the gym at least 3x a week, if I'm really good I can get in 5x a week
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #3  

Right now I do a workout video 5-7 days a week for at least 40 minutes each time. I don't do gyms. I will run once it gets warmer along with the videos but for now it's just the videos.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #4  

I don't add my workouts to my activity level because I put what my cals burned are in the exercise part. I use my polar heart rate monitor...not the daily plate database.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #5  

When I up it daily plate gives me like 1684 cals. I think I'll just stay between 1400 and 1500 and see how that goes? Is that too high? I know you can't tell from one person to the next but is this an ideal range?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #6  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I am a housekeeper, personal shopper, chef, pet sitter, secretary, accountant, gardner, personal assistant, massage therapist, construction worker and just about everything else. I'm also know as, Wife.

I don't think 1400 or 1500 is too high. Are you exercising outside of work? I would think it would be perfectly fine to try 1400 or so for a while and see how it works out for you.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

Have you read the daily plate forums on tracking/diet? It's really informative and I actually posted a similar question. Most of them are of the "Eat more/lose more" mindset and tend to chastise those who live off 1300 calories per day and workout vigorously. Alot of them claim to have 2000+total calorie intake (not net). I dunno. I'm 1500/day, I'm a floor nurse in a 32 bed unit (busy!) lots of walking, turning, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, chest compressions is a workout in itself! I work 10 , 12 hour shifts per month, I workout 20-22 days per month. I listed myself as moderately active and I DON'T eat back my calories from exersise. So far, I've gained 6lbs in the last 5 days. My workouts are strenuous, exertional rate of 70-90% and I've worked out 7 of the last 7 days. My avg cal intake has been 1500/day.
I'm defying science.
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #8  
ich bin geliebt

S/C/G: 353-->whatever is healthy

Height: 5'9"

I work at Home Depot, so I'm on my feet my entire shift, but the healthiest thing available there to eat is a hot dog unless you order out, and even then it's slim pickin's. I just wake up about 30 min earlier to prepare 2-3 meals (depending on how long my shift is) and bring them with me. It's the only way to avoid Taco Bell every day.
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #9  

I have 2 full time jobs.

The first one isn't so bad with effecting my weight, in fact I have the advantage of working nights, I could actually exercise & stuff at night & it would really help my weight loss. (I'm a Nurses Aid at an assisted living center for elderly)

The second one, depends... I'm an advanced life support EMT on the ambulance. The exercise you get working is great. The fast food we always end up eating is not so great...
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I wouldn't up the movement at work to add calories. It may work in the beginning but your body eventually gets used to that movement. I work in an office now and I bartend on the weekends. I started wearing a pedometer and I thought i walked far more than I actually do at my weekend job. I am on my feet constantly but its more like walking and standing inside a little box so its really not as good of a workout, more just exhausting.

In college I worked in a factory and the first few months I lost about 10 pounds a month and then it just stopped but I was doing the same thing and didn't lose anything at all. My body just got used to the level of intensity and I needed more to continue the weightloss.
kelli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #11  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

I work part-time as a college advisor to hs students (I walk up and down stairs but that's about all the exercise I get from that) . and, I volunteer at an afterschool program for 2nd graders. That one has me on my feet. In fact, today I was jumproping, and racing against them! lol it was funny and I was proud and surprised that I actually didn't get too winded
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

Interesting fact: I own an Acti-trainer (www.actitrainer.com) and I log anywhere between 12 and 15 thousand (3-5 miles!) in one 12 hour shift!
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

I'm a student studying cultural anthropology, particularly Tibetan refugees living in other countries. It's not the ideal situation for weight loss, because I'm not super physically active. Days when I'm busy are fairly random, so I never really know when I'll be working.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #14  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I work as a sales associate. Not the greatest job, but it can be physical. Most slow days I find myself pacing back and forth. The store is narrow but very long. On shipment days I find myself lifting heavy boxes and running around like a mad man. I also do a lot of dusting/cleaning and organizing when I'm bored, haha. But I also go to the gym during the week. but I think my level on TDP is on moderate?

Last edited by WormwoodDoll; 01-21-2009 at 10:14 PM.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #15  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I work as an elementary school teacher. On the plus side, the hours are slightly better than my old job (8:40-4:40 vs 7-3:30) but I don't work out before work anymore so I come home, want dinner, sit on the couch and finally around 7:30-8 start thinking (or not thinking) exercise. I'm on half-days right now over break which has worked out great for working out.

My last job was the psych ward--I was on my feet and moving all day--great exercise! But it was easy to snack and I ate veggie burgers & fries in the cafeteria a lot. At this job, I stand for 4 classes a day and sit the rest.. but no snacking and I eat (mostly healthy) Korean food.

My healthiest job ever was working in the housewares section of Walmart! No snacking plus I had to lift huge boxes filled with heavy dishes over my head all day. I got pretty buff. Then I got transferred to health & beauty... no more buff muscles putting away lipstick.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote