Old 12-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 259/239/170

Height: 6'2

Question so what about high protein stuff? i think someone sold me crap!

ok so stupidly i walked into GNC and of course i walked out with buying something! which im not sure if i needed but the workers said it would help...so im coming back here to ask you if i should return it. ok what about those protein shakes? you know the ones that come in a huge jar looking thing with powder? i dont do crazy body building crap...and to be honest im awful about going to the gym reguarly...so consuming high amounts of protein...is that good for me? is it not needed? will it actually make me not as hungry? could it make me gain weight? i did thankfully get the one where in 8 fl oz is 110 calories...(im counting calories) so its not bad at all on the calories and it is very tasty...its just i have always seen those steriod pumping body builders freak out over their protein shake and always thought it was a load of crap. but...can it actually help me lose weight? not be as hungry? any personal expierences? im open to any suggestion! and thoughts. let me know what you guys think...and dont be afraid to tell me to take it back and that i got roped in to something stupid. thanks!!!!
hotpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #2  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

I put protein powder in my plain yogurt, smoothies, oatmeal. Just so that I am getting protein with every meal. I am not working out at the present time either. I really dont think it is going to hurt to use it.
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #3  
I want the fully monty..

S/C/G: 240/check ticker/170

Height: 6ft

I'm assuming you're talking about whey protein powder? It is a good thing. You aren't going to gain steroid muscles by consuming this powder :P A high protein diet, experts claim, is good for suppressing an appetite, building new muscle, etc. It's completely fine and if you do enjoy it, have it! I for one can't stand it, haha. Maybe it's just the brands I've tried.
xdominic89x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #4  

ok good...thats reasurring! i was worried it was going to make me huge! thanks people for calming me down!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Women can't get huge - not without serious hardcore training and massive supplements. And we're not just talking a scoop of whey protein each day. We just don't have the testosterone to bulk naturally the way men do.

I use a scoop of whey protein powder each day. I also make things like oatmeal bars with the protein powder and so forth. I try to get more protein in my diet both because i'm working out and because it helps keep me feel full for longer.

I'd say you're ok with what you got. However, next time, don't buy it at GNC. They are soooooo expensive. You can get decent whey protein powder at Sams Club, Costco or even online for about 1/4 or less of the price that GNC will charge you.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #6  

oh thanks for the shopping tip! but hehehehehehe photochick! i am a man (male)...so i hope i dont get huge...LOL thats so funny...becuase i do have a lot of testosterone. LOL or at least i think i do. but im sure i have more than you do lol lol lol
Old 12-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Be careful...

That stuff is to be used as a meal supplement, just like Slim Fast. That stuff tends to make people fat more often than it helps anyone unless you're bodybuilding or a professional fighter trying to up weight classes.

DH chugs that crap 3 times a day and he's massive. I stay well away unless i'm sick and have to have something in my stomach in order to take an antibiotic or don't have time to cook breakfast and we're out of grab-and-eat fruits.

As a guy, you typically burn more calories and need more protein than us females to build lean muscle anyway. Drinking an 8 oz shake before or after your workout would probably benefit you if you want to build up lean muscle mass, but it's probably not the best choice if you're just trying to drop pounds in general.

Last edited by NishKitten; 12-18-2008 at 07:55 PM.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I don't see how if you use it, and keep it within your calorie limit, that it would make you 'huge'...
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Hahah! Oh now I'm embarassed. We've even traded PM's haven't we? So I know that!

Ok, well ... even so, you won't bulk up HUGE w/out a lot of concentrated work.

*sheesh* I need to pay attention to who I'm talking to.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

Height: 5'3"

I used carb free fat free protein powder to help me lose the last 15 pounds. I think it really helped me to stay full longer and stop the blood sugar swings. On the other hand, I changed the rest of my diet at the same time. to a low calorie, high protein menu and the powder was one of the more efficient ways to get protein.

On the other hand, if you're adding it to your diet, make sure that you are balancing calories somewhere else. I don't know what kind of eating plan you're on, but just adding a couple scoops of protein isn't going to be a magic pill.
murphydoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #11  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishKitten View Post
That stuff is to be used as a meal supplement, just like Slim Fast. That stuff tends to make people fat more often than it helps anyone unless you're bodybuilding or a professional fighter trying to up weight classes.
I disagree with this. I've been using protein powder for the last... 100 pounds or so. And that's pounds lost, not pounds gained. As long as you work it into your calories for the day, it will not make you fat. Although I tend to use it as a post workout shake I pretty much always have a shake in the evening before bed. For me, it keeps me from raiding the kitchen from hunger later in the evening, so it definitely curbs my hunger.

Now, having said that, I make mine with water (not milk) and I don't put peanut butter or such in them. All valid choices, but I'm just looking for the protein, not the extras. Post workout I usually throw some frozen fruit in it, and sometimes for breakfast I'll throw frozen fruit and some oatmeal in (dry, whizzed in the blender beforehand). It's a very filling breakfast that takes me under a minute to make.

Oh, I meant to add that, I too stay away from GNC for buying it. I usually get it from Costco, although lately I have a 'connection' in a friend whose son is working for a local manufacturer... long may that last!

Last edited by RealCdn; 12-18-2008 at 08:42 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #12  

photochick...LOL yes we have exchanged pm's lol its alright...i thought it was funny! and yes im keeping the calories in mind and in my budget...and im counting calories...realcdn...thanks for the tips! ill try the frozen fruit thing for a breakfast...they actually mentioned making it the night before and keeping it in the fridge so that way when im late in the morning i have something filling. thanks for the tips and oppinions!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

oooooooooooo i wanna get it now!!
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:23 AM   #14  
Saving Myself

S/C/G: 199.6/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I totally agree with Layri. I used to drink a rice protein shake (allergic to wheat) with a banana everyday for breakfast and it never made me gain. I watched my calories and I think it actually gave me a boost for my workout. I felt so much better in the morning, not as weak. I'm very lazy about eating breakfast, so it was perfect for me. Now I'm eating chicken or beef for breakfast, or sometimes a soy protein bar! I need all the protein I can get and it keep me full for way longer.
Angel's_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Um, you guys said it right there...

You made room for it by adjusting your diets and using it as a *supplement*. Like Slim Fast. You used it instead of snacks, etc.

And i've seen most people use it to try and "build muscle to lose weight" by just adding it to their diet thinking it was going to help and it caused them to gain weight. Hence why I said to use it as a SUPPLEMENT.

Using it that way with a hardcore weight lifting/cardio routine will make you massive. I have the husband to prove it. The dude chugs 20 oz of GNC whey protein 3 times a day to maintain his weight and muscle mass and his bicep is the same size as my thigh. All the other MMA and special forces guys he works with are just as big and they do the same thing.

I know you won't be doing that at all, but if you're just trying to drop pounds period, use it instead of meals. If you wanna build muscle and aren't too worried about the pounds, just toning -- then you're good to go.

Last edited by NishKitten; 12-19-2008 at 07:57 AM.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote