Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Another online dating question ...

Ok so I signed up for an online dating site. It's going ok, I'm still really shy about contacting people but I'm chatting with a couple of guys that contacted me. (After I filtered out the old guys and weirdos.) However I'm not really sharing with friends that I'm online dating (because I think people are judgmental about it.) But when I was browsing though profiles I a guy I want to contact. We have a lot in common. I like his profile but as reading it, a couple of things reminded me of a friend of mine, they went to the same undergrad, he's army reserve and so is her husband, he was deployed and so was her husband both as MP. She mentioned that his buddies bought motorcycles when they got back and his profile mentions buying a motorcycle. I think everyone sees where I'm going with this ...

I stalk her facebook friends from undergrad and yes they know eachother. So I was going to contact him but now I'm not sure. It might be weird becasue I'm sure he will figure out very quickly that I know her and he knows her and although I don't have a problem with that, I don't want everyone to know I'm online dating and I don't want him to figure it out and ask her about me therefore telling her I'm online dating.

What would you all do?

Last edited by RememberHowToSmile; 12-07-2008 at 09:12 PM.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #2  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

I seriously wouldn't let the stigma bother me. If you think you and someone else would work go for it. OR you could ask your friend to see if you can get this guy to hook up with you outside the dating service.

With everything being so on computers these days anyway it was only a matter of time before people started internet dating. But I do understand that people get weird about it.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

Online dating is a lot more common and more accepted then people realise these days.
I'd say contact this dude anyway. Life's short girl!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I would just go for it, and if she brings up her views on online dating, and they arent very complimentary, just thank her for looking out for you but you dont want to discuss it easier said than done i know
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

One of my boyfriend's friends is online dating, and he's open about it. It's not like there's anything wrong with him- he's smart, attractive, and has a rich family back in Orange County. So if someone like him is online dating, what's so wrong with it?

Maybe you're not giving your friends the benefit of the doubt. If they look down on you for it, maybe they just have the wrong idea about the whole online dating thing. For every "loser" on there, there's just as many people they would be jealous of.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/184/150ish

Height: 5'11"

I'm trying the whole 'online dating' thing too, and I was hesitant to admit it to anyone else. But my co-workers managed to get it out of me (I really didn't want them to know), and they were super supportive of it.

So I say go for it, if people find out, it may not be as embarrassing as you think it will be.
spikedpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

GO FOR IT!! He could be the ONE!!
Nancy7189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm online dating right now, and have met people who know people I know. don't be embarrassed or worried, it's more common then you think! It's convenient for our busy world, why not find men online!? It's like shopping for guys, so simple hehe
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #9  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

It's pretty common now, seems like everyone I know has done it and me too! Go for it.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 317/317/140

Height: 5'3

Online dating is so common now that most people don't even given it a second thought. Yes, there are going to be some people who find it "weird" but this is 2008 and this is how our generation chooses to do things. When I first moved to NY from OH I didn't know anyone. I was working as a nanny and my only human contact was with children or their parents. I started online dating and it was fantastic. I didn't date everyone I spoke too, I got a lot of weird emails from weird people, but I did end up finding some really awesome people. I met my current boyfriend 6 years ago from online dating. We went out twice but it just never seemed to work out. I ended up seriously dating someone else for 3.5 years and when he and I broke up I got back into contact with my current b/f. If it was not for online dating I wouldn't be with the love of my life and I wouldn't be happier than ever! (We have been dating for 2.5 years now) So with that said, go for it and don't feel bad!
Brandyc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I'm with Luvja, life is too short to sweat what other people think, who knows you might be a great match. Why miss out on a potentially wonderful experience.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Hmmm Thanks for the advices, I'm still considering what to do but I appericate all of the advice. You ladies are wonderful!
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #13  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I tend to agree with most other people. I don't think it's as big a deal anymore... there are still a few people who think it's weird, but. Personally, I think your friends might surprise you.

Maybe you should head him off at the pass, talk to your girlie before you talk to him and tell her, "Hey, so I'm trying this out because I haven't met many people lately--" and ask HER what HE'S like.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #14  

Height: 5 ft 5 inches

I met my boyfriend online and it was the best thing to ever happen to me. It wasnt even on a dating site either. We just so happened to both post in the same forum and he was moving to NY and I gave him advice...two weeks later we met and havent been apart since that day.

Go for it!
JerseyGirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

Go for it! Now adays , you can do anything online, from buying groceries, to stocks , ect why not try to find a mate at the same time. I found my boyfriend off a dating site, and while i was iffy about telling my friends where we had met,when i did, most of them had done the same thing too at sometime.
hiimnatalie is offline   Reply With Quote