Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Default What are your personal motivations?

Everyone has some motivations for losing weight. I'm curious to know what everyone's are here.

I have a few for me:

Number one, I'm terrified to get weight-related diseases. I don't have a thyroid because I had it removed last year due to cancer) and my endocrinologist is always getting on my case about it, so I want to make him happy. I've already had thyroid cancer (not weight-related) but being sick really woke me up, especially now that I had a recurrence and had another surgery last month. My mom and my sister are also on my case a lot, and most of all, I just want them to shut the heck up! I also want to look better for my boyfriend, who is also on a diet (he has to lose about 40 lbs, I have to lose about 60).

(side-note: i can't stress how awesome it is to have a diet and workout buddy. Plus he knows good workouts because he used to be in the Army)

This might sound kind of mean but I used to be in a sorority, and there were these two girls who were SO mean to me during the time I was in it, and they're the very unhealthy kind the "anti-dieters" someone mentioned in another thread. I know it's more of their own insecurities too. They're also part of the reason I gained a lot of weight while living with them in the sorority house... they would get jack in the box at midnight, eat it by my room (not intentionally) and then I'd want it too, succumb to temptation, then hate myself the next day. They weren't the only ones who did this, half of the house did. And when you live with a lot of people who lead unhealthy lifestyles, you begin to think that it's normal or OK when it's not. I went from 170 to 185-190 in that house. Bad, bad, bad.

Anyways, I want to stick it to these girls if I ever see them again. I know it'll be a good like 7-8 months before I get to my goal weight (around 135) but still it'll make me happy knowing that I'm happy and healthy and they're not. Does that sound too mean?

I might also move to LA in a couple of years. New city, new me. Plus it's fun to go clubbing.

Also, (i know I'm rambling) but there was this other girl in the house who was heavy and she knew it and said she was happy with how she looked (she said she was about 250 and like 5'8). Anyways, two years later, she lost weight and looks fantastic. So she's really inspired me. I want to be like her. So she's motivation too.

Last edited by sunflowergirl68; 12-02-2008 at 11:56 PM.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 317/317/140

Height: 5'3

I know weight related illnesses are a big one for me. My father recently was diagnosed with diabetes and I was recently diagnosed with severe asthma. I know that if I lose weight I can help lower my chances of getting diabetes and dying young. I also have been watching a lot of shows about being overweight (Ruby, You Are What You Eat, etc.) and these people inspire me. If they can do it I can do it!
Brandyc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/184/145

Height: 5'5"

Brandy: That's a big one for me. Health stuff is big for me - there is some bad stuff that my grandparents had all brought on by 60 years of bad eating habits.

My main inspiration/motivation is babies.

My husband & I had a tentative plan when we got married that around our 2 year anniversary we would start trying to have kids, and that is coming up in April. I want to have healthy pregnancies & not worry about getting gestational diabetes or other garbage like that. I want to be happy & healthy, & I couldn't do that starting out at over 200 pounds.

AND I want 4 kids, so I can't start with the first one being 60 pounds overweight. That would just be stupid! =)
Chance0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #4  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

Height: 5'7"

my main motivation is that ive never been thin. well not since i was a kid, and it's something that i've always wanted to be. i just lacked any sort of real discipline and patience. i have so much self-doubt in everything i do, it's sabotaged my life from making any sort of real headway. i need to just do this, and do it successfully. i need to know that i have the power to achieve what i want in life, which i know will give me the confidence to strive for success in other areas of my life.
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I would have to say disease is number one. Both of my parents have heart disease and diabetes. I also have two, yes TWO sisters with M.S. Stats show you are less likely to be diagnosed if you keep an ideal weight.

Next, I want to be thin for me! I am tired of being the biggest wife at the party. I am tired of feeling like I have to hide under yucky clothes. I want the long camisole shirt with the skinny jeans and heels!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

@Chance:

I am not in a position to have kids now, but I want to be at a healthy weight when I do start to have them. My mom was 118 lbs when she got pregnant with my brother! She also lost all of the weight. She was healthy when she got pregnant with me but still got gestational diabetes (probably because i was such a big baby). but once again, she lost the weight. I also want to be thin like how my mom was.

Good luck!
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:20 AM   #7  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

to be healthier and set a good example for my future kids (this is actually the reason why i start working out)
to be more beautiful so my bf will be so proud of me that he got a "model" gf... (oh yeah... like i will ever be a model but **** i would love to think of that as a motivation).
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #8  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

I want to feel good about the way my body looks! Mostly, I just want to have energy and be comfortable
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #9  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I do it for the clothes! I want no limits in what I can wear.

And, like Stellart, I just want to be thin. I never have been. I was 140 lbs in 8th grade at 5'1. I remember the first time I felt fat--I was 5.

Yeah I don't want diseases and I want more energy. But when I'm really struggling, wearing cute clothes and BIKINIS is really what gets me off my butt, not avoiding diseases.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #10  
Just Do It

S/C/G: 193/ticker/120

Height: 4'10"

My main reason is to prevent diseases. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my son so it puts me at a higher risk of developing Type II diabetes in the next 20 years.

Another reason is my kids. I want to be able to play with them without running out of breath and having to take a break.

Finally, I just want to be thin.
Ladybug2680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #11  
Getting my Halle bod! :)

Height: short stack

Partly for health reasons-heart disease and diabetes run rampant in my family The main reason though is for my self esteem! I want to feel great about my body and look hot!
butterflygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #12  
Keep on keepin' on!

S/C/G: 204/202/135 or less

Height: 5'2

My biggest motivator is health and just wanting to feel better physically and emotionally. There is a lot of heart disease and diabetes in my family and maintaining a healthy wait can help avoid some of the issues.
I am also tired of my clothes being tight and feeling bad about the way I look.
I can't wait to be able to look in the mirror and think, "Wow, I look great!"
the maine lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #13  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

This is going to sound silly, but I'm going to be honest.

Yes, there are all the other things (health, clothes, jumping out of airplanes, the usual).

But really, my main incentive is a job. My goal right now is to work for the US Public Health Service. While I can work for them as a civilian, I think the benefits of actually being enlisted instead of contract are worth the pay cut. And the effort.

So, my motivation is getting a job.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 350/350/170

Height: 5'9"

my motivation is my health, my daughter, my future children, and a bridesmaid dress in march. yea, there are others that i like to think about, buying smaller clothing, turning heads, for my husband, etc., but those are my main reasons.

i want to be around for many many years and i don't want diseases or medication to be a part of that over something i can control.

i want to live a long life with my daughter and see her have children and watch them grow up.

i want to have more babies! i got pregnant this year and at 12 weeks miscarried. it was not weight related, but i was not at a healthy weight to begin a pregnancy. i was 30lbs heavier than i was with my first pregnancy. i would like to lose that 30 or more before i get pregnant again.

i also have a bridesmaid dress to wear on march 14th. there are three of us. the other two are small and so is the bride. i'm already going to be the biggest girl on the block, well alter, but i want to lose as much as possible before then to close the gap at least a bit!
jmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #15  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 169/158/130

Height: 5'6

Chance- I'm with you...my DH and I are really wanting to have kids soon. All my friends look at me like I'm crazy "why lose weight to get fat"...I'm glad I'm not crazy. It looks like a common goal around here.
niclyn is offline   Reply With Quote