Old 12-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/152/140

Height: 5' 6"

Lightbulb Dealing with Anti-Dieters

I posted previously about how to deal with work situations that involve eating, but how do you deal with people who are "anti-dieters?" I consider an anti-dieter someone who makes a snarky comment in response to you making a healthy choice.

Most of my friends and family are very supportive, but how do you deal with comments such as "Well, I'm just going to be bad and eat...." or "Well, aren't you being good..."

I know they don't seem that bad, and I know I'm pretty senstive, but you must deal with situations like that....

What do you do?
Cassidy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

To snarky comment one: "Enjoy!"

To snarky comment two: "Thank you!"

You can't engage.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #3  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy Lee View Post
I posted previously about how to deal with work situations that involve eating, but how do you deal with people who are "anti-dieters?" I consider an anti-dieter someone who makes a snarky comment in response to you making a healthy choice.

Most of my friends and family are very supportive, but how do you deal with comments such as "Well, I'm just going to be bad and eat...." or "Well, aren't you being good..."

I know they don't seem that bad, and I know I'm pretty senstive, but you must deal with situations like that....

What do you do?

I usually say, well at least I have the willpower to say no and stick to it. Or you could do it too, it just depends on how bad you want it. I am not that bothered by it, because it is just as much a lifestyle choice they make as it is mine. On the benefits side of things, when I am walking around where ever those people are and I am the pretty young healthy thing. They are going to wish they had the willpower to do what I did.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Well...

Them: "I'm going to be bad and eat..."
Me: "That's great! While you're at it, you should ask the waiter for a big glass of shut the f*ck up when he comes back."

Be sure to smile.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Me: "That's great! While you're at it, you should ask the waiter for a big glass of shut the f*ck up when he comes back."
*snort* *snicker*

Ok, seriously - the first one isn't about you anyway, so I'd just smile and say "ok". The second one is just sorta passive aggressive so I'd smile and say "Yup!"

Smiles and short, one word answers are the best way to deal with those kinds of comments.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh yes, short and sweet. "Thank you" is always great when people are trying to be insulting, because it disarms them.

And if someone continues to push, go back to my old standby, "This topic isn't up for discussion". As in "My plate isn't up for discussion". Big smile and move on.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

argh..i HATE having to deal with anti-dieters...but the WORST are the dieters who've tried to lose weight or are on a constant diet but make comments to people who are actually succeeding...I have two coworkers...one who is about 155 lbs..constantly eating junk but will going on these little fad diets here/there..anyways when i was about 170 she told me I should "stop losing weight now and you look great the way you are" ( my mother has said this too) so i replied with " well i told my mom that her and along with anyone else who says that is just jealous that one day i'll be smaller than her/them" and now I am! whoo hoo...She jokes about it now but it got the point across..lol.

Another coworker who is about my height or a little taller..has had two children and is obsessive compulsive with her eating.(she is about 135lbs and has lost a lot of weight since highschool).I am NOT joking and i've seriously considered her to have an eating disorder....she's always said that she doesn't have time to go to a gym with her husband's schedule but would love to be able to..anyways we were planning a work meeting and i told them the nights i could go...depending on my aquafit classes.......her reply was " you can miss ONE class for godsakes!" (I only go two worknights out of a week) I replied with "no I'm NOT going to miss one class because of a meeting for work...my health and exercising is a lot more important to me than a bunch of women sitting around gabbing at a meeting" But if it had been HER it would have been a different story completely!

Sorry to have ranted on and on..but just wanted to share my experiences!

I'm just blunt and it's really helped with dealing with people about my diet/eating.

So with comments like your first one..I'd probably reply with..well all it takes is a little will power but up to you...
and the 2nd comment I'd reply with, "yes and I feel so good after I know that I've eaten good" or something along those lines!
Good luck!

Last edited by angelanicole23; 12-01-2008 at 09:02 PM.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #8  
Little Black Dress Bound

S/C/G: 192/181/135

Height: 5'5"

With stuff like that I will usually just remind myself that they are probably jealous I am taking steps toward a healthier lifestyle and they aren't.

I might say "Thanks" or I might just ignore it.
DRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 132/126.5/115

Height: 5'5"

At work we always have cake for someones birthday, but its so hard to say no when everyone else is eating cake!
coolgirl1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

People love to feed nurses, and not fruit or veggies. Also, they order out fast food on every nightshift. Fries, burgers, pizza at 2am. :yak: I do indulge once and a while, but 99 percent of the time I have my own food packed, and that's my reason to keep my paws out of the cookie tin.

For the specific comments that you mentioned, I would feel comfortable asking, "Why do you think eating is bad?" or something like that. Usually, thats not an issue because everyone is always on the other side going, "OMG, Do you EVER stop eating?"
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #11  

Usually people who are snarky about your dieting are just jealous that you are taking the steps to become healthy and good looking. They wish they had your will power!

Just ignore them- being hot is the best revenge!
Squirrelygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

sometimes those people can be so irritating, it's hard to ignore them (though I try my best). Today there was some girl in my class going on and on about how easy it is to be skinny, if you just "stop eating when you're not hungry". You've got to be kidding me. Well, if it's that simple, then there's a lot of reaaaalllly stupid people out there. *sigh*
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #13  
Ready to do this!

S/C/G: 215/197/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataclismic View Post
People love to feed nurses, and not fruit or veggies. Also, they order out fast food on every nightshift. Fries, burgers, pizza at 2am. :yak: I do indulge once and a while, but 99 percent of the time I have my own food packed, and that's my reason to keep my paws out of the cookie tin.

For the specific comments that you mentioned, I would feel comfortable asking, "Why do you think eating is bad?" or something like that. Usually, thats not an issue because everyone is always on the other side going, "OMG, Do you EVER stop eating?"
Yep! And night shift makes it worse! I think I lost my first fifteen by doing nothing but giving up my mountain dew that I used to use to get through the night. Now I just try to stay out of the breakroom all together because that's where most of the badness resides.

As for dealing with people's comments, I'm with everyone else, short and sweet is the way to go. If you engage, then people are going to feel encouraged to continue. Just a simple "Isn't there anything better to talk about?" goes a long way.
reddahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #14  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

For those comments all they deserve is the "look" and a raised eyebrow then just turn around and walk away! Always gets their goat hehe
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 AM   #15  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

I haven't really met comments like that... everyone has been incredibly supportive. You could always give a very boring lecture about why you don't believe in "good" and "bad" foods. That should teach them not to bring the subject up again.
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote