Old 11-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6.5

Default Why can't I loose??? HELP!!!

Here is a typical day for me...

English muffin (This is wheat) with PB OR jelly.

Mixed nuts. About 200 calories worth.

55 calorie peice of choclate.

Lunch usually has something turkey or chicken and veggies. Sometimes with rice. This really is an average portion...I don't go overboard at ALL.

BeneFIT bar (140 calories)

Dinner is usually some type of chicken/turkey with more veggies of some sort. Again, I do NOT go overboard.

I sometimes have a little icecream sandwich thingy in the evening.

I drink lots of water, usually have twoish diet cokes per day and sometimes some OJ and/or milk.

There is usually one day per week where I go off of this and eat out or eat something I know I probably should not be eating.

Why can't I loose any weight? What out of the above do you think I should cut out? This really is an honest look at my typicaly daily eating.

I work out, what I consider, a lot. I just completed the C25K so I was at least running 3 times per week for the last 9 weeks. I also did some basic lifting weights and maybe once a week would do the elliptical and/or bike. This is 200% more then what I was doing before I came to 3FC.

I really do want to eat/work out for life so I don't want to be extreamly drastic but darn it, I want to lose weight!!!!! I know that there will be times in my life where I'm out to eat or don't stay on plan all the time, which is why I don't beat myself up about falling off strict plan once a week or so...I am also reading Inituitive Eating and loving that concept but for those of you who know that "plan" I'm obviously not doing very well yet...

Do any of you who are doing really well have some ideas for me that are not crazy drastic like eating lettus and hummus all day??

Last edited by JamieJo; 11-24-2008 at 03:01 PM.
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I don't think you need to go crazy and eat lettuce all day. Is there any certain plan you're following? Do you know how many calories you're eating? Burning?

I'm not sure what your age is, but if you're in your twenties, then you probably have a bmr of 1550. Cutting back two hundred calories under your bmr is very successful for a lot of people. Add up what you eat in a day, see what it's coming up to. Even if you don't want to count every calorie every day, it would help you have a general idea of how much you're putting in your body.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I was going threw the same thing.. i would go 2 weeks without losing and when i did lose4 id gain them back the next week .. What i did was just up my water intake .. i mean i drink SOOO much water and it helped a whole lot.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #4  

I have about 23 points per day which is on point for what WW suggests for me. I am 28. I estimate that I have about 1600 calories per day.

I am trying to get away from constantly thinking about dieting, counting points or calories...I want to eat for life rather then constantly thinking about dieting all day every day...but I just want to be around 140...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Jamie - this is a toughie. It looks to me like you're around 1400 or 1500 for calories, just a rough estimate, w/out knowing actual amounts.

I can think of a couple of things and feel free to debunk any of them if they don't apply!

1 - You are eating less than you think you are - small portions of meat and veggies at lunch and dinner. With the running and weight lifting, maybe you're not getting enough food.

2 - You're eating more than you think you are - not measuring the portions of lunch and dinner might be causing you to overeat by 300-400 calories a day which could be just enough to put you at a stall, but not cause you to gain.

3 - You're having the juice/milk more often than you think you are or are having other small snacks that you're not considering during the day (if I don't write things down immediately I often forget I've had them). Again, adding a couple hundred calories a day could make the difference between a stall and a loss.

4 - You need to tweak your macros and maybe try changing things up a bit. If you're working out a lot, you might want to add more protein. I also am wondering about your carb levels - I am wondering if the Benefit bar and the ice cream thing might be pushing you over in the non-complex carbs area and causing your body to stall. Maybe adding in some more whole grains and ditching the sweets for a while? I dunno. This is so individual - but the point is play around with your macros for bit and see what happens.

5 - Add in some more intense weight lifting or resistance training. Squats, lunges, crunches, planks, pushups, triceps dips, stepups, etc., etc. Try to get in 20-30 mins of weights/resistance work 3x a week and really really push yourself with it.

6 - My least favorite option, but it might just be: your body is just at a set point and you're going to have to wait it out.

It's so much harder when you know you're doing everything "right" and nothing seems to be moving. Sometimes you just gotta play around with it!

>
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Why can't I loose any weight? What out of the above do you think I should cut out?
Quote:
There is usually one day per week where I go off of this and eat out or eat something I know I probably should not be eating.
I think you may have answerer your own question. One day of "off" eating can easily without a doubt offset any loss you may be having the prior 6 days of the week. That one day can easily erase any calorie deficit you may have incurred the other days.

Looks to me like you can also use a better distribution of your calories. And just how closely are you tracking them? It's SOOOOO easy to go overboard without even realizing it.

I would add more protien and more veggies too. You're eating some high calorie things that aren't very filling - ice cream. English muffin with jelly. Rice. Orange juice.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #7  

jah jah - I've been this same weight for like a year now....seems no matter how much I don't eat/exercise, I just stay between 160/165. I'm pretty frustrated today if you can't tell!!! I'll get down under 160 and then back up 3 or 4 pounds the next week...

So water hu? Maybe I will just start pounding water constantly....
Old 11-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #8  

Heh. We cross posted. I just want to touch on something quickly:

Quote:
I am trying to get away from constantly thinking about dieting, counting points or calories...I want to eat for life rather then constantly thinking about dieting all day every day...but I just want to be around 140...
The problem here is that the closer you get to your goal, the harder it's going to be to lose weight. If at any other time in your journey you have to be MORE focused on keeping careful track ... NOW is that time. Those last 20-30 pounds are really hard and since you're so close to a healthy BMI, it's more important to be focused.

It will be easier to relax and eat "for life" (as long as you don't go overboard) AFTER you've hit goal.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #9  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

Would seeing a dietist be an option? I think not many people here have done that, but I have, and it has helped me quite a lot. They are so experienced in this kind of stuff that they have loads of useful tips.

Also, how long have you been doing this? Did you lose any weight in that time? You might be plateauing... Someone (I believe it was Jelbb) posted a helpful link about that some time ago, but I can't find it now.

Edited because OMG 6 people have posted before me and said all that I wanted to say

Last edited by Elwing; 11-24-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
_
I don't know. For me, not thinking about my food led me to be morbidly obese. Now I eat mindfully. Really thinking about what I eat. Making sure that I eat the "right" things. If I don't track my food, it's all too easy to overeat - and not be at the weight that I want to be.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Word PhotoChick

Last edited by Digging Deep; 11-24-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Digging Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #12  

Photochick (HI!) Thanks for the reply!

When you guys say more protein...I just can't eat anymore protein. I feel like I eat chicken and turkey constantly....and getting sick of it. I know, prepare them different ways; and I've been doing that... I started on the nuts trying to get more protein...what else could I eat for good protein? (I don't eat fish!!!)

Robin - When you say more veggies and protein that makes me cringe because I already feel like I eat that constantly. What do you guys eat daily? Do you just eat protein and veggies everyday all day? If I took out my little bit of icecream that I have a couple times per week or my engligh muffin (which I thoguht was good for me) I would feel like all I was eating is veggies and protein. BLAHHHH.... I can't do that forever.... And isn't OJ good for me??? I really only have about a half a glass when I have it.

And do you guys really track every calorie everyday? I just feel like I already CONSTANTLY think about food, what I've eating, what I should be eating, what I should not have ate....that adding constant everyday calorie counting would be very emotionally time consuming.

Thank you to all of you for your input. I really do appreciate it and want to get over this hump!!!

I have been around 160 to 170 my whole adult life...accept the first time I went on weight watchers...got down to my desired weight and then got preggo. Got up over 200 pounds then and quickly got down to 165 after I had her....ABOUT 18 MONTHS AGO!! And I've been stuck here ever since. I got pretty diet crazy when I joined 3FC, really picked up the exercise and saw NO results. Oh yeah, and I tried WW again but wasn't successful this time. I always felt deprived.

Last edited by JamieJo; 11-24-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #13  

I do track every calorie and I find that by so doing I'm actually thinking LESS about what I eat. I plan meals and whole days ahead of time and it helps a lot.

Ok, a few thoughts on things you could add or substitute:

Yogurt - 1 container of Fage 2% greek yogurt is 130 calories and 17g of protein. Have that for or a snack and stir your 1T of jam into it. Yummy and filling.

What about eggs? Boiled eggs for a snack or even have breakfast for dinner some nights. A lot of times when I've had a long day and come home from the gym, I'll make a fritatta - just saute some veggies in a little olive oil, then pour two beaten eggs over them. Let it cook on the stovetop until it sets up (kinda like an omelet) and then finish it off under the broiler. Sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese and it's a really filling and yummy meal.

If the rice at lunch is white rice, swap it out for brown rice, or whole grain pasta. Or skip the rice entirely - it's a lot of unnecessary calories, IMO - and switch those calories to another snack.

Even though fruit juice is better for you than soda, it's still not a great use of calories. 4 oz of orange juice has about 60 calories. For 70 calories you could eat a whole orange and feel much more full and satisfied - and get the benefit of 4.6g of fiber that isn't in the OJ.

I personally would ditch the bar in favor of something less processed - but that's me. I try to avoid bars and drinks of all kinds. If I have a protein enriched drink, it's whey powder in something I blend up, rather than something out of a box with artificial flavors and colors.

Also for protein, will you eat pork? You can get some really lean cuts of pork loin that are yummy and easy to cook. What about beef? I wouldn't advocate red meat every single day, but there's nothing wrong with a lean roast or a grilled lean burger once a week. I do burgers, meatloaf, and roast in the crock pot fairly regularly.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #14  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

What you also could try is just... bread. Whole-wheat bread is quite filling and as long as you don't douse it in butter the calories are all right. I noticed you don't eat any bread at all. Does this have a specific reason? We are about the same height and a few weeks ago I was also the same weight as you; I eat bread for breakfast and lunch (5 slices a day), something lean on it, decent dinner and fruit or yoghurt for snacks. I don't feel like I have much useful advice for someone who has been trying for so long, but maybe it's worth a try?
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #15  

Thanks Photochick. I guess I must be a terribly picky eater. I don't like yogurt or boiled eggs. I do like scrambled eggs so I'm going to try the fritatta. (What kinds of veggies do you use?)

I do like pork and the last two weeks have made some really lean pork loin two different times....but I felt kind of guilty eating it because I thought it wasn't very good for me....guess I can take that guilt away. You really do burgers too? I typically try to stay away from red meat all together because I have the impression "that it's not good for me..."