Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #1  
Dreams of a RED DRESS...

S/C/G: 305/293.7/165

Height: 5 foot 6

Question Sweet Tooth help among other things...

I have this terrible sweet tooth and when I get it I feel the need to get rid of it soon and that's when I eat a lot of candy or bake a cake or something... Does anyone have any ideas for me to help rid me of my sweet tooth? Also, how many meals and snacks does the average person eat? Or supposed to eat? What kind of snacks would be good? Any other advice for me?

My info is in the introductory page... let me copy it down for you to see so you don't have to go somewhere else.

"Hi,
My name is Rachel, but prefer Arthwen or Artie. I am tipping the scale at 305 (give or take 2lbs) and it's starting to mess with my biological cycles... My Nurse Practitioner says I have got to start losing weight and was going to refer to me to a diet person but still hasn't... So I decided to try out here... I heard about this site somewhere but I can't remember where and found it on google. She also says I need to exercise for an hour most days. Now, I have wiifit but I just haven't been able to use it. Whenever I think about doing it, it's near bedtime and I hear that's a bad time to do it... and bedtime is, like, after 9pm.

My plan is to cut out bleached sugars, bad fat, pasta (because I tend to eat too much of it at a time), junk food, candy and other such things. I do not eat much meat... I eat chicken and turkey as that is what I can bear to eat. I don't like meat but my body has muscle spasms if I don't.

So... There's a bit about me..."

Any suggestions, ideas... anything?

~Artie~
Arthwen1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2''

If you have a sweet craving try having a piece of gum or a piece of fruit.
tigger175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #3  

herbal tea or sugar free hot chocolate works for me
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #4  
Dreams of a RED DRESS...

There's a thought... Now I have another problem... I just ate 2 of those instant packets of oatmeal and add a bit of margarine and 1% milk... and I still feel hungry... Is there something else you think I should be eating with that? What do you normally have for breakfast?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #5  
I m worth it

S/C/G: 176/174/143

Height: 5'2''

Arthwen1985: Usually when I have the urge to eat sweet, I just run and get me a yogurt and fruits, and drink LOTS of water. That usually helps. And one more thing, I try to get out the house and go for a long walk. You just have to set your mind into it and be strong. I know you are strong and willing for a change, we are all here to support you. So as soon as you have those terrible sweet cravings, just come here and we'll try to talk you out of it.

Be strong
Dazzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #6  
Dreams of a RED DRESS...

Aww, thanks! See, this is the kind of support I need. My mother and friends aren't nearly as supportive. They're like... "It's your choice and I'll be here for you.." But they never give me much advice.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I would add a piece of fruit to your breakfast. Also, be sure you eat sitting down and on dishes and everything, or else your brain won't register it as a meal and you'll still be hungry! Be sure to drink a big glass of water with breakfast too, that'll help a ton!

For my sweet tooth, I have 1 small sweet thing every day. Today I had a reeses cup, yum. Usually I have some fat free coccoa, gum works great to!

If you have a sweet tooth, I don't think you should deny yourself, I think you should allow sweets, just in a very small moderation. Or else one day you're just going to binge and eat a whole package of cookies!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #8  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm a chocolate lover, so I'd recommend fudgecicles (which are less than 100 calories a piece) or sugar-free chocolate pudding (70 calories a serving) to tame the sweet tooth. I also like the sugar-free Werther's candies. They don't taste as good as the "real" thing, but they're not bad.

Regarding your oatmeal question: You might feel fuller if you ate a more balanced meal. Try adding some fat and protein, and make sure you're getting enough calories over the course of the day. Seeing a nutritionist is a great way to get started - bug your doctor about that referral!

Good luck - keep us posted!
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #9  
Dreams of a RED DRESS...

Cookies.... My weakness... Must not think about COOKIES!

*clears throat*

Thanks... I usually sit and watch something while I eat or do it at the computer while I'm doing other things...

Fudgesicle really is only about that much? Hmm... i will bug her about that. *Calls her right now*

How does this look for a morning breakfast?

2 slices of toast
2 Packs of Oatmeal
1 apple
1 cup water or sugar free flavored drink

Last edited by Arthwen1985; 11-07-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: ACK! Someone posted while I was posting..... must edit!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #10  
Dreams of a RED DRESS...

*After calling her PCP's office*

My insurance does not cover it... *growls*
Old 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #11  

Hi Artie welcome!

For my sweet tooth..

I try to mimic ice cream, since its one of my favorite treats. I'll bake a banana with a little bit of cinnomin and nutmeg on it... and then I'll drizzle a little bit of honey or chocolate syrup.. scoop on some strawberries, blueberries, kiwi... and a little swish of whipped cream on top.. maybe crumble up a graham cracker if I want a little bit of a crunch on top

It takes a little bit of time to make, so for me.. I feel like I'm treating myself!

Just remember, take it all a day at a time. You'll hit days that youre frustrated and thats completely expected! But don't quit!

When I first started to lose.. I really really had to make small changes at a time. I started out walking to the end of my block and back home again... and slowly worked my fitness level up to the point where I could walk around the whole block, and eventually jog

I lost close to 30 pounds by replacing my soda with diet soda. Back then, I never realized how much I drank.. and I couldn't do a cold turkey switch to water..

Your thoughts and plans so far sound great! If youre still a bit hungry after breakfast, have some fruit and maybe some yummy hot tea
bekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

Gum,Fruit,Tea,brush my teeth or grab a mint
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #13  
Dreams of a RED DRESS...

Thanks for the suggestions...
Old 11-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #14  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthwen1985 View Post

How does this look for a morning breakfast?

2 slices of toast
2 Packs of Oatmeal
1 apple
1 cup water or sugar free flavored drink
Cookies are a big problem for me too. I can not eat them because I can't have one- when I used to bake cookies DH and I would eat them all by the next day.

Bear in mind that I am on South Beach so please don't be offended when I say- I think your breakfast is setting you up for failure. I do not see any protein but I see a lot of carbs - packs of oatmeal versus steel cut oats are not really so great for you. I am in phase 2 now but for breakfast I typically have about 3/4 C fat free yogurt or fat free cottage cheese with about 1/2 C fruit, and either a slice of double fiber whole wheat bread or a 1/2 C or so of Kashi Go Lean.

Eating foods high in fiber and eating protein helps you to feel full longer. It also affects the way your body digests the food you eat. - Not everyone on SB can eat grains AND fruit for breakfast (or at any one meal) everyone has to work out for themselves what is right for them and what triggers cravings.

I typically eat over 4 cups of veggies a day.

I'm not saying that is the right plan for you, but it might be. It sounds like you have similar weaknesses to mine and I have been able to do this diet with no problems.

HTH
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #15  
Dreams of a RED DRESS...

What is the South Beach Diet? Is is costly? I only get to eat on 30$ a week...