3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Your first period (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/155754-your-first-period.html)

DRose 11-06-2008 02:08 AM

Your first period

So I was thinking about this earlier, since it is TOM for me at the moment. Thought it might be interesting to hear everyone's story about their first experience with TOM.

Personally, I was 12 and I had just gotten out of bed. I went downstairs, and then to the bathroom. When I pulled my pants down my underwear was covered in blood. I didn't know what to do so I just sat there and yelled for my mom. When she came in, she just said "oh, let me get you something" and that was it. I remember my friend had spent the night that night, but I was embarrassed to tell her for some reason. :dizzy:

Valpal08 11-06-2008 02:12 AM

I don't remember the first time. I think I was 12 as well. Isn't that kind of an early start or pretty normal?

AmberShimmer 11-06-2008 02:13 AM

I'm on TOM too right now.

I got my first one when I had turned 10. I had NO idea what it was. Back then where I lived kids weren't taught about stuff like that to prepare them like they are here. I was also the first in my class to have a period. I thought I had somehow had an accident and pooped in my underwear. Seriously. My aunt (who I lived with and had raised me) gave me a pad, told me how to wear it and that was it.

Everything I know about menstruation, I learned from the internet. My folks were no help at all. We just didn't talk about these things.

sh3l5 11-06-2008 02:19 AM

i was 11 and came on during the nite....
i thought id been shot!....

kaplods 11-06-2008 02:19 AM

I was 9 or 10, and my mom had just explained it to me a few days before (when she signed the permission slip for the film that was scheduled at school to explain it to us - the girls only, that is), and I had to call my mom from the nurse's office. The freaky bit about it was that it happened only a day or two before the film. I felt really embarassed and felt myself blushing during the film, because I was sitting there - on my period - having cramps and everthing, and I was sure that if I told my friends, they wouldn't believe me anyway and think I was just saying it because of the film. And when the teacher explained that we would all go through this in a few years - I really felt freakish (I was already the tallest girl and only slightly shorter than the tallest boy).

Elwing 11-06-2008 02:23 AM

I was 12 and I didn't understood at first, because I was wearing black underwear. Only when it gave me red stains on my fingers I understood what happened. When I had put on something else I went to my parents: "I think... I just got my first period!" That night we had a little party with snacks and drinks. It was quite nice.

Oh, and about age... the average period starting age has shifted quite a bit down in the last century or so. 15 used to be average. 12/13 is now average. And to start menstruating you need a certain amount of fat in your body. This means that overweight children start their menstruation earlier.

Iconised Ghost 11-06-2008 02:33 AM

aw elwing thats so cute! mine was a bit of a non-event, i was 12, knew what it was, dealt with it, didnt tell many people, no fuss :D

leighish 11-06-2008 03:34 AM

I was 17. yeeeah. That was my first hint that there might be trouble afoot.

HealthPNut 11-06-2008 03:41 AM

I was 12 and was doing work for my grandpa around his property... residing and stuff. It was really hot and I was outside all day. It sucked! I was too embarrassed to tell him so I kept putting toilet paper in my pants to help, but it kept falling out. My little sister was so sweet (she was 10 at the time) and kept finding it and would pick it up and throw it away for me.
My mom called his house and the answering machine picked up before I got to it. Then I answered and without realizing everything was being recorded I started crying and told her. She just kept telling me it would be ok. After I layed down my grandpa realized I was really sick (I was always a hard worker so he knew I wasn't faking) and didn't make me work anymore.
The next day my mom took me out to a really nice restaurant and I had king crab legs :)
Has anyone else noticed their cramps getting much easier since they got older? Mine used to be horrible! Now they're very tolerable.

DRose 11-06-2008 04:11 AM

HealthPNut- I've noticed the same thing. It seemed like in the beginning my cramps were terrible, but now I barely notice.

I think it's so cute that some of your parents made it into a celebration, like having snacks or going out to eat. I think if I have a daughter I'd like to do that for her.

mazza 11-06-2008 04:26 AM

I was 12 and I remember thinking something like "Oh great, I'm going through puberty...i'm going to have to act mature now."

staja 11-06-2008 06:42 AM

I was 9 years old, it was really light, and I had NO idea what was going on. When I finally got the courage to tell my mom, she felt bad for not explaining it to me earlier. (My sister, who was 3 years older, had not yet gotten hers, so my mom figured I wouldn't be getting mine for a long, long time)

Nothing more embarrassing than being in the 5th grade and having to go explain to the teacher why you needed to go to the nurse's office every couple of hours.

Chele615 11-06-2008 06:51 AM

I was 13 years old....in the spring of eighth grade. I remember waking up and seeing that it came. I was embarrassed to tell my mom, I guess, so I took one of her pads and went to school. When I got home, my mom cornered me and was like "Is there something that you want to tell me?" LOL

raw23 11-06-2008 07:43 AM

I dont remember mine at all.
I remember my first training bra.
I remember my friend's first period. We were at camp and she didn't know what to do with a tampon (that's all any of us had at the time). So we helped her out. It was so funny, she wasn't embarrassed about anything at all. Must be nice to be that comfortable in your skin. :) I would've been beet red and gone home!

luvja 11-06-2008 07:43 AM

I was 14 or 15, late in life!.
I got it during the night, and I remember being so embarrased/ uncomfortable to tell my Mom. I hid it for a few days.