Old 10-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #1  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

Default 5 Yr Class Reunion/ Delusional High School Footbal Fans *Rant*

I posted this in general chatter however, I think this might be something that this group could more closely relate too because we are in our 20's.

Last night, I went to my 5 year class reunion (who really does a 5 year???) at my schools homecoming football game. Where I live football is everything, its what my small community eat, sleeps and breathes for. Personally, when I was in school I used it a social hour and did not give a hoot who won and I still don't give a crap about the games. The reunion was a complete bust, but I still had somewhat of a decent time. Here is how it went:

It started out with making a nice batch of banana pudding because the invite that I received said bring your favorite tailgate food, a football etc and have a great time. I get there *no one* brought anything. All that was set up was a rickety card table with a sign in sheet so we could get our free ticket into the game. I ran my wonderful pudding and my chair I brought back up to my car (I was more than a little peeved).

I dressed a little nicer than normal. I had on a short sleeved dress shirt under nicely fitted buttoned up (business type) vest and nice pair of jeans and slip on cowboy boot looking shoes. The others were dressed like they had come out Britney Spear's trailer park. I started talking to old friends and my best friend from high school says: "Well you just turned into such a girly girl." which is highly ironic because I am not. I can still hock some snot with the best of the boys. Also she says "You have put on so much weight." I thought, pot calling the kettle black, she herself had put on a good 40lbs but I didnt say anything I did however, say "Well I am working to lose it, I have lost 34.6 lbs thanks for the encouragement."

Fast forward to setting up our seats. We had gotten a reserved section roped off for us (rows 3-10). Well we were only supposed to have rows 3-9 but no one knew that. So I am putting down my blanket on row 10 and get ready to sit down. This lady comes out of no where and proceeds to tell me that I am to move my things immediately because we are sitting in her reserved season ticket seats. I politely told her that I was unaware that these were "her" seats however that these rows were roped of for the Class of 2003 alumni reunion. She then tells me to move again and that she will go and get a security guard to prove that she has the legal right to sit there and she does every week and would have my friend and I removed, blah blah blah. Then had the nerve to tell me she wasn't trying to be rude. I just about lost it on her.

The high school that I came from could not win a game to save their lives. They are lucky to have a season where they do not have a losing record. So why people pay money to sit in reserved seating to watch a team that notoriously loses is beyond me. Also, probably at least 50% of the crowd is there to watch the band play because we are the best in the county, pretty much the region and the largest band.

After that there was this guy that is sitting adjacent and behind me screaming the whole time about the game. Stuff like "COME ON REF ARE YOU BLIND?" "Lets go Defense stonewall em'" etc the whole fudgin' time we are there and teaching his 12 year old looking sons to do the same things (which is highly disturbing) Before the game, after the bands pregame show they had not even half exited the field. The ball team and refs was walking out on the field for the coin toss practically mowing over the band. It takes more than a few seconds to get 176 kids off the field. I peeved and said "cant they just wait like 1:30 while the get out of the way" to my friends. The guy behind me said "well its because they have a schedule to keep and the band is just in the way" I muttered a few things under my breath but that was pretty much the end of my night. I left after the half time show because it was pretty cold, I couldn't handle being around all those nasty people an my sister and I wanted to see the half time show.

The only good point about the night, I was able to catch up with some people that I hadn't seen in a long time.

/rant
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

That really sucks about the nasty people. Sorry you had a rough time.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #3  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeberHowToSmile View Post
That really sucks about the nasty people. Sorry you had a rough time.
I just don't understand how someone could be so wrapped up like that, its beyond me.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Wow...

I dated a guy that was one of those. He was 26 when we went out and had played football in highschool. He was seriously like Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite, always talking about his winning games. He would wear his varsity letter jacket and go to all the games and had made friends with all of the seniors... *creepy music plays.*

LoL. You were so nice to your old best friend, I would have said, "I knoooow, that's what I thought when I saw you! 'Goodness she got fat!' I wonder what happened..?"

As for that banana pudding, I am definitely willing to help you with that. I've got my own spoon!
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #5  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishKitten View Post
LoL. You were so nice to your old best friend, I would have said, "I knoooow, that's what I thought when I saw you! 'Goodness she got fat!' I wonder what happened..?"
Seconded.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #6  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishKitten View Post
I dated a guy that was one of those. He was 26 when we went out and had played football in highschool. He was seriously like Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite, always talking about his winning games. He would wear his varsity letter jacket and go to all the games and had made friends with all of the seniors... *creepy music plays.*

As for that banana pudding, I am definitely willing to help you with that. I've got my own spoon!
I would share however, its gone. I think I was mad so I got a double portion last night when I got home and then my sister got some after that there wasn't much left.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #7  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post
Seconded.
Since high school I have packed on about 60lbs from the weight I am now. If they would have seen me in April before I started WW it would have been like 95. so :P on them.

My goal weight is 165, and my high school friends has never seen me that thin. They wouldn't know what to do with themselves. I haven't been 165 since probably the 6th grade.

Last edited by Bee20nine; 10-18-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

really, though, who sees you for the first time in 5 years and says "wow, you gained weight." Even if they are thinking it, geez! That's so rude!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215-220?/200/155

Height: 5'9"

about the band thing: that's how it was at our football games too.

Have you ever noticed how the rude football fans like that dad are the ones who never realize that at least half the crowd is there to see the band not the game? I always liked how after the halftime show all the band parents would get up and leave making it even more noticeable.

I guess some things don't change :P
M a g g i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 168/144.8/115

Height: 4'11''

Aww I'm sorry you had a crappy time. Don't give up hope with the reunions! I went to my 10 year 40 lbs overweight and none of my friends said anything. Even X-bfs and guy friends were so nice. I have heard that the more time goes by the better the reunions get--by the time your 20 year rolls around no one cares how you look. I'm looking forward to going to my 20 year, but this time I'll be the same weight I was in hs! Hopefully your subsequent reunions will be at a hotel or convention center, not at a football game!
kamesennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #11  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20nine View Post
Since high school I have packed on about 60lbs from the weight I am now. If they would have seen me in April before I started WW it would have been like 95. so :P on them.

My goal weight is 165, and my high school friends has never seen me that thin. They wouldn't know what to do with themselves. I haven't been 165 since probably the 6th grade.
And ****, you can show them! You'll rock down to your goal weight and they WON'T know what to do with themselves, and their only thoughtless blurted comments will come out as compliments-- "Wow, you've lost weight," "Jesus, you look great!"

And... I don't care if you gained 400 lbs since the last time she saw you. Anyone who looks at someone else, and says, 'Wow, you gained weight' deserves a kick in the face. A kick which I am most willing to administer. Because I'm generous like that.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Hmmm, crappy football team, trailer park fans, decent band?
Why didn't you tell me you were in my hometown? We could have gone out and done something fun!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #13  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

That sounds awful! I hate sports to begin with, I think I would have left.

Thankfully my school doesn't have stands around the football field (we always had our "Homecoming" games at other schools ) and no one ever cared about them. We lost 3 out of 4 of our Homecoming games when I was there.

But if it makes you feel better I accidentally flashed two guys I went to high school with the other day. I was changing my shirt in the car, and because this is just the sort of luck I had, those two guys come driving by at the exact second I was a little bit "exposed."
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #14  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post
And... I don't care if you gained 400 lbs since the last time she saw you. Anyone who looks at someone else, and says, 'Wow, you gained weight' deserves a kick in the face. A kick which I am most willing to administer. Because I'm generous like that.

I 100% agree! Especially if you haven't seen them in 5 years... Even if she used to be one of your closest friends, I would never say something like that to anyone! I mean, what poor tact--some people worry about whether it's even polite to comment on weight LOSS, but you'd think it'd be obvious enough that you're aware of the fact that you've gained weight and no, you don't need anyone to remind you of it. That is just rude, and really just poor social skills in general! I'm somewhat of a believer in karma, so I'm sure that if she sends out so many bad vibes, it won't be long before it comes back to her. Maybe she'll gain another pound for every pound you loose (oops, did I just say that? ). Kudos to you for not stooping to her level; I know I sure would have been tempted!

And Jelbb, you crack me up.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #15  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

The girl that said that has always been one on talk first, think later. The sad part is the think later portion doesn't normally happen. She was always a big attention whore (why I hung out with her I still to this day cant figure out). Everything had to be about her, if the conversation wasn't she found a way to make it about her. She had bad body image issues in school and it wouldn't surprise me if she wasn't anorexic in high school but now blatantly isn't.

I guess the only reason I talked myself into going was I wanted to show the people (classmates, and their parents alike) that expected me to be barefoot, pregnant, and making minimum wage that I wasn't that girl. Even though I tacked on more than a few pounds I made something out of myself. Out of the 6 girls I ran with I was the only one that went to college and is going to finish (in Dec woot woot). I am graduating with a degree in accounting, and I was sitting there talking about it. I said yeah and I am only x hours short of sitting for my CPA exam. She said CPA whats that? Certified Public Accountant. She then asked what my degree was in? I said accounting, and she was just like ooooooh that sounds hard. I just frankly said well as a matter of fact yeah it is, my program is one of the top 20 ranked accounting programs in the nation and I am graduating in decemeber. (silently thinking so beat that :P)