Scale Problem?!?!?!?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So i have a digital scale and a analog scale. so when i get on the digital scale i weight- 298 on the tile floor and carpet give a take a cpl of pds, but when i get on the analog scale i weigh between 335-345 on the tile floor. but on the carpet for the analog i weigh 265-270. n by gosh i cant take it anymore i dont know how i should pick which number i should use. when i first started i was on a digital scale at the (which i no longer belong too cuz im broke lol) i weighed in at 272.2. i need help cuz im driving myself crazy lol
  • A fews things. First, forget about weighing on the carpet. It has to be a hard flat surface. Second, it can even make a difference at different spots on hard floor - pick one spot and use it.

Make sure the digital scale is zero'ed properly before weighing (on mine, I tap it and wait for zero to come up on the reading), and make sure the analog scale is also at zero before weighing (usually there's a dial to turn to bring it back to zero). It can move a lot after weighing.
  • i'm not dumb!!! there both on zero with or w/o the carpet and i use a 5lb weight. to chk it, when other ppl use its fine (give or take a cpl of pds) they give the same reading (digital and the analog) but when i do, its diff. i stand them on the same with the same amt of clothing which is basically nothing every sunday at 9:00am after the bathroom and be4 eating breakfast. analog goes up to 350 and the digital goes up to 380
  • You're likely going to get a more accurate measurement from the scale that goes up higher. In the end it doesn't really matter which one you use, just pick one. Tile floors can be trouble as well if you have a sculpted tile. I weigh on a tile floor and I have to make sure I've found a flat spot otherwise the numbers aren't consistent. I can tell now as the scale rocks slightly if it's not flat. If you have anything heavier (with a known weight) you could check the two scales at a higher weight.

I used to work in a plant with a calibrated floor scale. When they came to check it they brought weights up to almost it's full capacity to check it. The higher the weights the larger the variance. That's why you can put a 5-lb weight on both scales and you have no problems. I checked mine when I bought it with 4-25lb plates from my weight set. It did well for 100lbs, but who knows if it's accurate at my weight or not. I can get on and off a couple of times and get the same weight, so I'm happy enough to use it to track progress. My final weight (where I stop) won't be determined by a specific weight, but by how I look and feel.

Someone (on another board) asked a woman with scale anxiety - "If you woke up tomorrow and your body was lean, and you were fit, and the scale read 200lbs, what would you do?" In other words, track progress, don't worry so much about the actual number. Best of luck.
  • ty

• "Someone (on another board) asked a woman with scale anxiety - "If you woke up tomorrow and your body was lean, and you were fit, and the scale read 200lbs, what would you do?" In other words, track progress, don't worry so much about the actual number. Best of luck."

I love that!!!!
  • ya me 2
  • Quote: i'm not dumb!!! there both on zero with or w/o the carpet and i use a 5lb weight. to chk it, when other ppl use its fine (give or take a cpl of pds) they give the same reading (digital and the analog) but when i do, its diff. i stand them on the same with the same amt of clothing which is basically nothing every sunday at 9:00am after the bathroom and be4 eating breakfast. analog goes up to 350 and the digital goes up to 380
    I wasn't calling anyone dumb. People *do* have those problems, and it *would* be dumb not to cover the bases. Sorry if it offended you.
  • You can also just go to the doctor and see how you weigh there because you know their scale is accurate.
  • I guess my question is why are you weighing on multiple scales in multiple locations???

You got really pissed off and snapped back at the person who said you shouldn't weigh on the carpet, but the fact is, she's right. Weighing on the carpet will give you false results.

Pick a scale, pick a time of day, and pick a location that's not on the carpet, and be consistent with it.

That's all you really need.

• I would stick with the one that spot and the scale that shows the most consistent reading, mine still fluctuates a few lbs here and there and it really pisses me off, but I have to remind myself that is normal.
  • I use a digital scale and the first time i used it i did it on the carpet and weighed 8 stone. i knew a quite obviously wasnt 8 stone so moved it to a tiled floor and got the proper reading!! I was excited at the first reading on the carpet but unfortunately i couldnt kid myself it was right!! Just weigh yourelf on the same bit of floor every time and you'll know how much progress you're making Good Luck!
    Cat
    x
  • Quote: You can also just go to the doctor and see how you weigh there because you know their scale is accurate.
    Sadly, this is not always true. Mine has a scale that weighs about 3-4 pounds more than true weight. I know because I've compared it (within 30 mins) to a scale I know was more accurate. That scale was the floor scale at the manufacturing plant I used to work at. We paid someone to calibrate it regularly and it's top weighing capacity was 5000-lbs. A 500-lb weight weighed within .1 of a pound from true weight. That silly scale was responsible for the start of my weight loss journey. The guys used to regularly weigh themselves on it and when nobody was around one morning I did the same.

Also, most people at home weigh in the morning, before eating/drinking. Most doctor's visits are in the middle of the day, when we may weigh more. I think that's why it's better just to look at the differences (but pick one scale). If you lose 20-lbs, pay more attention to the loss. You might be 200 at home and 204 at the doctor's, however, ending up at 180 or 184 still shows the same loss.
  • thanks guys, cant really go to the dr. since i don't have insurance. as far as putting the analog on the carpet that was the 1st time i did that but it was more true to the digital scale whether it was off or on the burber carpet. i snapped back cuz i was offended but the comment back. thats all its done its over with
  • It is never recommended to weigh yourself on a carpet because it distorts the reading.
    Other than that re-iteration, every other recommendation like weighing at the same time, at the same place (on a hard and even surface) etc. are all standard.