Old 09-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Default Should I be sore?

So I've been on the exercise kick.

Yesterday I did way more than I normally do and I'm not the least bit sore. Should I be? Are my muscles already used to working out?

I've only been working out since the end of July.

Yesterday I worked out at Curves for 30 min. burned 582 cal.
I went jogging/ walking for 45 minutes.
80 squats
25 fake pushups
and 100 crunches 50 reg, 25 each side.

Should I be sore? I'm a little worried that I'm not. I usually do 40 squats every other day, no push ups or crunches.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #2  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

It made me sore just thinking about what you did!!! I can only tell you from my personal experience. There are days that I work out ridiculously and am not sore. Yesterday I did 30 minutes and a little weight training and I am beat. I MEAN BEAT. Like someone has tightened every muscle in my legs. So I don't know why it happens but I am willing to be it is pretty common.
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/188/150

Height: 5'9"

It's possible that you'll feel sore tomorrow. Sometimes, my soreness skips a day and I think "YAY! I'm not sore!" and then the next day, I'm crawling everywhere. Now I try not to get too excited =)

That being said, even if you're not sore tomorrow, I don't think you should worry. Did you feel fatigued/tired/sweaty while you were working out? I'd say you were taxing yourself sufficiently if you were, and just be glad you're not hurtin' today!

I took a week off from weight lifting and started again Monday, and BOY did I feel it! OUCHIES!
cjb0arder13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb0arder13 View Post
It's possible that you'll feel sore tomorrow. Sometimes, my soreness skips a day and I think "YAY! I'm not sore!" and then the next day, I'm crawling everywhere. Now I try not to get too excited =)

That being said, even if you're not sore tomorrow, I don't think you should worry. Did you feel fatigued/tired/sweaty while you were working out? I'd say you were taxing yourself sufficiently if you were, and just be glad you're not hurtin' today!

I took a week off from weight lifting and started again Monday, and BOY did I feel it! OUCHIES!
I was sweating during my workouts but not so much when I was doing the squats, crunches or push ups, but I was feeling the burn at the moment. But nada today.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #5  

I normally don't sweat a lot when I'm doing my weight lifting, unless i'm doing endurance training (like, 120 squats in a row, which can make me sweat sometimes).

I say if you're not feeling sore today, just be glad and do a happy carrot dance

Maybe try a bit higher weight or something tomorrow and see if it makes a difference?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

I don't think you should be sore. Take into consideration what you were walking/running on. Was it a tredmill? Typically those don't cause shin splints.

With the squats though... I think it depends on how you do them. Are you keeping your weight on your heels and your back straight? ...that makes a WORLD of difference. Are you using weights while doing them?

I second the pain skipping a day. That's how it is for me too. Even when I was working out everyday...I had built up my tolerance a LOT...after a really good workout where I had my trainer telling me to straighten my back...or put my weight on my heels... I'd burn 2 days after. Like the 'can't walk and when I try I look like I'm 80' sorta thing. I still get that occasionally when I work out by myself...but I find that I tend to sorta cheat or cut corners when it's only me.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgirl737 View Post
I still get that occasionally when I work out by myself...but I find that I tend to sorta cheat or cut corners when it's only me.
ME TOOO!!!! That's why I take classes...it's good incentive to work a little harder. My boyfriend's mom has been going to this class for YEARS, and she is awesome and does a LOT of weight, so I kinda feel like I have to perform well.

When I'm at home on my own, I find so many reasons to give up or stop early. I wish I had better will power!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb0arder13 View Post
I normally don't sweat a lot when I'm doing my weight lifting, unless i'm doing endurance training (like, 120 squats in a row, which can make me sweat sometimes).

I say if you're not feeling sore today, just be glad and do a happy carrot dance

Maybe try a bit higher weight or something tomorrow and see if it makes a difference?
Well um, I do my squats at home no weights. I weigh 283 pounds trust me I feel it after 10. lol I was just going on before I would get sore at 40 but last week I haven't so I upped it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgirl737 View Post
I don't think you should be sore. Take into consideration what you were walking/running on. Was it a tredmill? Typically those don't cause shin splints.

With the squats though... I think it depends on how you do them. Are you keeping your weight on your heels and your back straight? ...that makes a WORLD of difference. Are you using weights while doing them?

I second the pain skipping a day. That's how it is for me too. Even when I was working out everyday...I had built up my tolerance a LOT...after a really good workout where I had my trainer telling me to straighten my back...or put my weight on my heels... I'd burn 2 days after. Like the 'can't walk and when I try I look like I'm 80' sorta thing. I still get that occasionally when I work out by myself...but I find that I tend to sorta cheat or cut corners when it's only me.
I was running/ walking outside on the road/ sidewalk. I think I'm going to try to do a lot more of the exercises at home and just walk/ run for an hour. I was just surprised I'm not sore. In honor of that, I'll do the

Old 09-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

either you're fit enough to do those things and didn't even know it

or you'll feel it tomorrow. Sometimes after a really hard work out i'll feel it 2 days after.

If you're not soar - then up your reps, obviously you can do them!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #10  

So yesterday I jogged/ walked for 45 min.
80 squats- all at once
50 fake push ups- all at once

I didn't do crunches b/c last night my abs were the only thing that were sore.

Again, today I'm not sore. How many squats and push ups are too much? Is this my muscles laughing at me telling me to do more? Meanwhile, I gained a freaking pound. I'm pretty sure it's muscle or water had 5 liters yesterday. I've been hungrier too? is this normal?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #11  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

i only feel sore about 2-3 first day when i start doing new exercises. After that, i dont know why but my body doesn't feel sore. I still sweat like crazy while exercise, still feel my muscles working and stretching, but when the work out done, i don't feel hurt, or anything. Just totally fine. But I always feel sleepy after working out . Always >__<
And i still see myself losing inches and gaining muscles so maybe it depends on each person ?

Last edited by Annita; 09-12-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #12  

I find once I exercise straight through for a few days I'm not sore, ever. HOWEVER if I don't walk for like 4 days, then go for a walk my muscles in my legs KILL the entire walk. Thats a good thing I guess, it makes me walk atleast 4-5 times a week or else I pay the price!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #13  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
I find once I exercise straight through for a few days I'm not sore, ever. HOWEVER if I don't walk for like 4 days, then go for a walk my muscles in my legs KILL the entire walk. Thats a good thing I guess, it makes me walk atleast 4-5 times a week or else I pay the price!
i second this. Totally true for me as well.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #14  

I will keep doing it then. It's so strange that my abs are sore but nothing else. I didn't even work them that much.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #15  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Once I adjust to a routine (after doing it four or five times) the soreness stops until I try a new exercise, even if I increase my reps or increase the weight I'm lifting.

Have you thought about switching your routine, or maybe alternating between two routines?
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote