Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 259/259/175

Height: 5'11"

Default I do this OCD thing everynight..

Weighing myself. Everynight before bed, I weigh myself. I see that it's a pound higher from the morning and kinda get bummed. I wake up, pee, weigh myself again and am relieved when it's the same or below the day before. I don't know why I weigh at night and morning. I think it's because I like to have the hope that if I'm the same as the morning when I go to bed...maybe just maybe when I sleep the weight will magically disappear. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Tonight I'm 2 lbs up....but I can still feel the chicken potato curry and 2 full glasses of water from dinner in my stomach. blech.

I don't know how I can break this habit. Should I?? Is it bad for my positive energy?

Last edited by dkneec19; 09-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.
dkneec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #2  
I will do this.

For me personally, I only measure myself once a month. I don't hardly ever weigh myself except for when I am at my dads and even then it's the middle of the day. I know that I was 240 because I went to the doctor.

Weighing myself gets me so focused on a number I don't realize the small steps I have taken. Like my jeans getting loser, being able to walk up stairs without feeling like I am dying...etc. It also can make me feel like CRAP if the numbers don't go where I want them too. Plus, it is pretty cool to loose a bunch of inches once a month than .00004 once a week.

I think you need to do what is best for you, but yes I think that weighing yourself that often can give you bad mojo.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

It's a negative thing really! You should only weigh yourself ONCE a week!. I used to also obsess over the scale - I still have my days. But normally I just wait to be weighed once a week at WW
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I used to be so obsessed with weighing myself, that my roommates literally took my scale away from me. While I fully supported it, and was happy that they did - i becasue to obsessive. It either ruined or made my day. Now, I do it once a week - becasue I know that my weight is going to fluctuate for a number of reason, even the weather will change it.

So cut back, start slow - maybe do it only once a day for a week, then go down to every other day If the numbers are upsetting your mood - then I say do it less.

I do however need to weigh myself, or else I get off track - I feel that without the numbers I have nothing to keep me on track...

Everyone is different, keep us updated!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #5  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

I used to weigh every morning, after I peed, in my underwear.

I would never weigh at night. - It is completely unfair IMO. You may have eaten something heavy (although not high in calories) or had lots of water, etc which have no bearing on the fat you have lost and will only make you sad. - Definitely depressing in my book! I have read repeatedly that it is not ok to weigh every day, that it is negative to focus so much on the scale.

I don't have a working scale in my house ATM but I DO weigh every time I go to the gym which is definitely more than once a week. Should I? Probably not.

Last edited by Thin4Good; 09-03-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #6  
It's all about the fluff.

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I too weigh myself each morning in my undies! And to be honest, I'll weigh myself in the evening as well if I'm feeling froggy. I don't believe that it affects my healthy outlook on losing weight, nor does it yet discourage me in any way - even if the number is slightly up. I view "night weight" as simple and normal fluctuations - looking at the numbers on a more frequent basis simply pushes me to better understand what I'm putting in my mouth. For years and years, I've had ZERO idea what a calorie really is, nor how badly the thousands I was ingesting every day affected my health.

I guess I just like looking at the numbers (especially because they are going down) but I do know that numbers only describe me, not define me.
everanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I stay on track much better if I weigh every day... which I haven't been doing. (staying on track. OR weighing daily!)

However that was ALWAYS in the morning. I agree w/ thin4good about weighing at night - there are a lot of reasons it would falsely appear you've gained weight.

I think the bottom line is if your mood is really dictated by that number on the scale, you should cut back. If it's really just a number and a check for you (which I think it's hard for most of us - me at least - not to put some emotional value into that number!) then no worries.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/279/180

Height: 5'10"

I do the same thing dkneec19 does (and, it seems, others do too!)

I weigh at night and then I weigh in the morning. I think that I do it that way because, if I see numbers consistently going up -- I'm doing something wrong and need to correct it right away. If I see numbers going down, I know I'm on the right track.

I would fear weighing once a week because ..... what if I was doing everything wrong?!!!! And I was up 5 pounds?!?!?! I could have been taking measures to correct it, but I didn't know until a week later?!

Looks like I'm a bit OC also, eh?

I am aware that I hit a number and then bounce around it for a few days and then I take a noticeable step down and bounce around there for a few days and so on.

Now.... I keep seeing that 280 just within reaching distance and I'm desperate to get there.... very motivated to cross decade marks.

The whole weight loss drama can be, however, kind of stressful on the system!
Iconoclast at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #9  
Nice Pants

S/C/G: 224/202/199

Height: 5' 10.4239"

This is a very personal subject and you'll get all sorts of answers about what works for others ... but not necessarily what will work for you. Only you know that. As you've no doubt already read, some prefer to weigh once a week (or less) others weigh once a day (or more). For some, it's a positive experience. For others, it's negative. So it truly is up to you.

But here's my advice, from an objective third party: stop it.

I don't know how you can break the habit, but I do know that you already have one advantage: you've recognized it and have openly asked for help. I recommend that you first re-read your post. You know you'll be heavier at night than in the morning. You know that this will bother you. If this is enough to get you off the scale, then that's good.

If not, make up a list and tape it to the wall where you weigh yourself. On this list, put down all the things in the world worse than gaining a pound: everything from getting a speeding ticket to nuclear holocaust. As you step on the scale, read through it and think, "Wow, you know what? Gaining a pound really doesn't mean much in the whole grand scheme of things."

Then go get some ice cream.
hillsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #10  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

im a numbers freak, i graph EVERYTHING- daily calories, BMI, weight, measurements. But i only weigh myself once a week. I look at my graphs about 20 times a day. But i know that if i have had a decent week, i'll probably be down. And i get kinda excited about my weigh in day- to see how well i have done! Its sort of like a bizarre reward for me. So thats why i dont weigh myself every day. I also fluctuate an insane amount during the day. So its really bad for my mental health to weigh twice a day I find that a week is a good length for me to see if i am doing something wrong, and WHAT is going wrong. Day by day it could be simply i did more weight lifting than usual the day before and im retaining water. If i wait a week and im still up then i can look at my calorie intake for that week and say "hmm, well it WAS a little higher than normal this week" and change that. Works for me
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:35 AM   #11  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the others here, try to stop doing that. I know for me that would freak me out weighing at night and then in the morning.

I try to weigh in once a week, but sometimes when I feel like I've done really well, and my pants feel loose to me I'll weigh in the morning.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I weigh myself all the time too. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I mean, it doesn't prevent me from going anywhere or getting things done, and I don't feel guilty about it. For me, the scale does keep me on track. I just look at the scale as another weight loss tool and leave it at that. I don't think you have a problem, just a habit.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:15 AM   #13  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i too have to weigh daily to stay on track....
it keeps me motivated and positive....
maybe when i reach goal and start maintaining i will start to release the obsession a bit....
and weight every other day or once a week....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:00 AM   #14  
Hatchling

S/C/G: 160/146/122

Height: 5'2"

I have been weighing every day since my gain at WW last week. However I usually only weigh at class and if I do weigh in the week, I don't really treat it as official.

I am obsessed tho, as I know my scales are 2 lbs lighter than WW ones. I also used to weigh at night and in the morning but stopped as it consistently said I lost 2lbs overnight.....always! seemed little point to me as I hated seeing the higher number anyway and prefer to see the morning weight!

Do what you have to do. if you do it out of habit for reference and it doesn't alter your behaviour then I'd say it was ok. The scales can have a terrible psychological effect tho

Lou
x louise x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:05 AM   #15  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Okay, FORGET what all those people who say you should ONLY weigh yourself weekly, monthly etc. Its bull. That works for them, it does NOT work for everybody.

You're getting yourself down about it, and if it gets you down is it really worth it? You know logically the scales are going to go up, and if that gets you down I wouldnt keep doing it. As for how often you weight,thats upto you. I find if I go on daily or every other day I can understand how my body works and adjusts better and usually catch myself before I slip up. But thats just me.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote