Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/Ticker!/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Anyone Else Inspired by the Olympics?

I've been watching the Olympics religiously and I have been bitten by the Phelps bug! He is such an amazing athlete and let's not forget incredibly hot!

And, since there is no way I will ever be able to do gymnastics (my favorite olympic sport) I'm inspired to swim. I got my goggles over lunch, my suit is packed for the gym, and I'm going to try a few laps tonight.

I read online that swimming accompanied by dieting is a great means of weightloss. You use pretty much all your muscles at once. Some people don't actually experience weight loss, but they become very toned. I am sold! Let's just hope it goes well. I only had enough swimming lessons to prevent drowning, so I'm probably not going to be swimming competatively anytime soon, but I think I can manage the front crawl.
heidelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

sometimes i am quite inspired by the olympics, and sometimes im just like "man, that looks like a lot of work!"

Good for you with the swimming! I love swimming, but chlorine irritates my skin something chronic. I live very close to the sea though, so i'm holding out for summer
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Hahahahaha. I have the exact opposite response! I sit here cheering them on, yelling at the tv screen, eating junk food.

It just seems soooo beyond my reach to be that fit that I'm better off in the stands, and you know what people in the stands eat? Junk food!!

So alas, I've quit watching the 08 Olympics Lol
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I have felt totally inspired by Phelps. And he is gorgeous. I think it just motivates me to get more tone and in shape though. I have had the strangest craving for feel good sports movies, like Breaking Away, Hoosiers, Bring it On, Remember the Titans. I can't help it. So weird.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/262/180

Height: 6'5

im super inspired by the beach volley ball girls bodies! and i love phelps!
bentley fontane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Yes, I totally am! I just injured my foot, so I think swiming will just have to be my cardio sport. I did weight lifting at the gym and was thinking about the olympics and it made me push myself extra hard!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

I LOVE swimming! I've been doing it a ton this summer, just on weekends, but I love how much it supplements my gym workouts. It keeps me cool, I have an AMAZING tan, and I feel like I had the most amazing workout after a few hours. I'm definitely a novice- I just do laid back laps, but I do them for what seems like an endless amount of time and it's been great.

I don't even want to think about how labor day is in two weeks (and in northeast Ohio, the first snowflake of the season will likely be the week after).

So, long ramble on how I definitely agree that swimming is such an awesome workout, and I'm going to have to figure something out for the winter months..I'm on a strict budget, and the gym membership that I already pay for doesn't include a pool (nor does it have one:-/)
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #8  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I feel inspired too! Not so much inspired to take up any particular sport (though like so many others I'm entranced by Michael's Phelp's swimming hotness!), but I've been inspired by their unbelievable dedication to their training. It's motivated me to workout (and workout HARD), to push myself, etc.

In fact, I'm sitting here working on some long overdue paper for school and while i DO have time to workout tonight, Im not in the mood, but I JUST motivated myself to go do something bc of the Olympians can all wake up at 5AM to practice their sports for three hours, I can go do a 50 minute workout DVD... so I'm off!
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 249/191/175

Height: 5'1

oh I totally know what you mean. I was in gymnastics for like ten plus years and it makes me sad to think about the weight I gained and the thought of doing gymnastics makes me laugh.....the kids would be yelling...hey fat lady ur going to break the bars and I still didn't get a turn! so please get off....haha
they do work hard for their sport, its their job....wish I had the motivation like them....but thanks to all u wonderful ppl who motivate me daily....so this medal goes out to all u fabolus fatchicks!!
needs2droplbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 324/279/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley fontane View Post
im super inspired by the beach volley ball girls bodies! and i love phelps!
haha, i worked an AVP tour a few weeks ago and met those girls. Standing next to Kerri Walsh at my tiny 5'10" and my giant 270 pounds definitely made me feel a bit frumpy. But damn, those girls look great in a swim suit. Totally inspired me. They're so amazing.
dani4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #11  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

But I have to ask: WHY are those beach volleyball uniforms *SO* skimpy? I mean, they look awesome, but I don't think "sports uniform" when I see those bikinis lol. (and the male beach volleyball players wear trunks and jerseys).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani4a View Post
haha, i worked an AVP tour a few weeks ago and met those girls. Standing next to Kerri Walsh at my tiny 5'10" and my giant 270 pounds definitely made me feel a bit frumpy. But damn, those girls look great in a swim suit. Totally inspired me. They're so amazing.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #12  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

I love the Olympics - just everything about them. I'm a terrible swimmer, and watching the Olympics this summer has made me want to take a swim class when school starts again.

I have to say, though, I am soooo annoyed with NBC's coverage. Everything I want to see airs at 10 PM or later, and my internet connection is too slow to play the videos online. Grrrr.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:15 AM   #13  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i used to get inspired with the thought of joining the army or the SAS....
only neither of those will happen....
people comments seem to inspire and motivate me more than anything atm....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 212/Ticker!/150

Did my first swim last night. The pool is 1/2 the length of an olympic-sized pool, so 25 meters. I would swim a lap and stop thinking, "I have to be close to the wall by now!" And I'd turn around and only be 3/4 of the way down the pool! I have even more respect for those swimmers, now. It was hard! But it was also the best workout I've had in a long time.
heidelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Ursus -- they're airing everything live, so since it's 12 hours ahead in China, they're really doing stuff at 10/11 in the morning. I would rather see it live (and late) than hear about it in the news and see it replayed later!! Also, that way I'm home from work in time to see swimming, which is MY FAVORITE having been a competitive swimmer for years. It's the best sport ever.
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote